PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to find a good custom tuner???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to find a good custom tuner???

From okie123's Diablo thread...

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
I would recommend a dyno tune as well. They are custom to your needs, and a qualified operator could really change your car, i.e. wake it up.
I've been thinking of ditching the Diablo and getting a custom tune, but probably don't know enough to find a "qualified operator." I've heard of some using a wideband and some that don't, some that take an hour, some that take 3 hours, and some that take all day.

Does anyone have some good tips on what to look for and what questions to ask when looking for a good tuner?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

First off, I would say find some LSx guys in and around your city, and ask them about their tuning operators/options. If anyone comes highly recommended, try there first. Tuners are real hit and miss...Some are just trying to make a buck and throw around some numbers. Others genuinely will spend time with the car, getting the PCM and other systems to sync and function for better performance.

As for the time, it could take anywhere from 5 hours to the whole day, depending on the number of passes and the editing needed.

Some questions to ask/guidlines:

1. Make sure he knows how to use a dyno. People can get some real screwy numbers from dynos and the adjustment of the parameters. Try to stay away from mustang dynos (JMO) and look for a shop/place with a dynojet. Mustang dynos that run unloaded/loaded can produce conflicting data, throwing off the consistency of the tune.

2. Get a tune that suits your needs. Some tuners will push the "performance only" ultra lean tune that could hurt your engine's internals. Your Imp is your daily driver, so a race gas tune...or super performance tune may not be in store for you.

3. Educate yourself. Know the proper A/F ratios...KR....and so on. Worst possible situation is not knowing these "sweet spots" and having some idiot change them, requiring a re-flash.

4. Know your tuner. Ask to see graphs....be hands on. This is probably the most important step, because it makes or breaks the tune.

whew....sorry for the long post.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a good post Nacho SS.

I had one guy last week that said he would tune it for me. He had a mustang dyno it said my peak torque was at 4600 rpm 238 torque, he had the weight of the car at 3700 pounds. After a couple runs then he says I don't have a clue how to use HP Tuner and he didnt even change any thing. So I am driving 3 hours away to get a tune from http://www.campbellautomotive.com/ seems like in my area these guys know there ****.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
First off, I would say find some LSx guys in and around your city, and ask them about their tuning operators/options. If anyone comes highly recommended, try there first. Tuners are real hit and miss...Some are just trying to make a buck and throw around some numbers. Others genuinely will spend time with the car, getting the PCM and other systems to sync and function for better performance.

As for the time, it could take anywhere from 5 hours to the whole day, depending on the number of passes and the editing needed.

Some questions to ask/guidlines:

1. Make sure he knows how to use a dyno. People can get some real screwy numbers from dynos and the adjustment of the parameters. Try to stay away from mustang dynos (JMO) and look for a shop/place with a dynojet. Mustang dynos that run unloaded/loaded can produce conflicting data, throwing off the consistency of the tune.

2. Get a tune that suits your needs. Some tuners will push the "performance only" ultra lean tune that could hurt your engine's internals. Your Imp is your daily driver, so a race gas tune...or super performance tune may not be in store for you.

3. Educate yourself. Know the proper A/F ratios...KR....and so on. Worst possible situation is not knowing these "sweet spots" and having some idiot change them, requiring a re-flash.

4. Know your tuner. Ask to see graphs....be hands on. This is probably the most important step, because it makes or breaks the tune.

whew....sorry for the long post.
****. Nothing to be sorry about! Good post with very good info and guidelines.

Corny40, since you are in Houston, there is a lot of people in the area that you could learn from. And there are a couple places that you can get the tune done at and it'll be done right.

1 thing to always watch out for is a performance gain promise. Ever car is different. Your car may get 5 WHP from an A/F tweek @ WOT and a different car may get 15.

I'd recommend getting involved in reading in the PCM and Tunning forum. There is a **** load of info in there and will help you start to educate yourself.

Also, A dyno tune on a stock car isn't really worth it if you are looking strictly for some power. You really aren't going to net much even with some bolt ons. If you had added some 1.8 rockers, a higher stall converter, Headers, something that is going to change the VE (Volumetric efficiency) of the engine, then it's really worth it.

But, if you are willing to pick up HP Tuners and want to learn how to do this yourself, then there are alot of people that would probably help you out after you've learned some basics. Plus, you really don't need to tune it on a dyno really. If you have a good WB O2 scanner, you can tune on the street and get definitely with-in 1-5% of a dyno operator.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Nacho and Richie!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

why not look for a tuner that uses the Diablosport CMR software?? look it up on their site... that way once the tuning is all done, they can save it to your Predator, and you can back it up on your PC... so if your dealer ever has to re-flash your car for something, you'll still have the tune and can re-install it with the Predator... otherwise, you'll have to go back and get it tuned again, pay for it again, etc etc...

CMR Authorized Tuner:

Xtreme Horsepower
5102 Commercial Drive
North Richland Hills TX, 76180
817-5038947

Email: arvil@xhpsolution.com

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 07-20-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I had thought of that, but when I found out there were no GM tuners in Houston (tons of ford though ), I quickly scrapped that idea. Who knows, it may be worth a little vacation to Dallas or Louisiana in the near future? Thanks for reminding me of that option Lew.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

I'm going the hp route. Honestly, right now it's confusing as hell for me. I've never tuned a car before. But, I've been doing alot of reading and have a wideband o2 sensor. Doing it myself may take a while longer to get it done, but in the long run, I'll understand what's going on with my car and how it's done. It's a learning experience.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

So far the most I have done with the HP Tuner is played with my fan settings and I dropped 80% of the torque management in the tranny and motor. I am not even going to try and play with the VE, AIR Maf etc. There is not alot of information on HP Tuner or even holdens website on tuning the LS4 motor.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Tuning the ls4 should be similar to the rest of the lsx motors. Just because they are different motors dosen't mean that the same principals don't apply. Gotta learn what to look for and how to fix it. I'm still real new to it, but trying to learn. There is a ton of info on the hp forum to read.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djfeezy
Tuning the ls4 should be similar to the rest of the lsx motors. Just because they are different motors dosen't mean that the same principals don't apply. Gotta learn what to look for and how to fix it. I'm still real new to it, but trying to learn. There is a ton of info on the hp forum to read.
Right!! Engine and tuning theory is correct across the board from a tiny 1.1L 3 cylinder engine to an big'ol 8.1L V-10. There maybe quirks to learn about each motor since they are different, but for the most part, they are all within about 80% of each other or better.

You'll see people talk about scaling tables, change the injector %% at WOT and other stuff. It all pretty much applies the same way, but the values are going to be a little different.

You know. I think I may put a re-direct in the PCM tunning lounge so some of the mods and members that browse there may jump in here and help explain things. BUT I'd take the initiative to head on over to that lounge and read up on the Stickies.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/287094-read-me-first-tuning-docs-ve-maf-ses-lights-faqs-more-01-31-07-a.html

Tuning FAQ and I'll PM Horist and Carmahoic to get them in here to look this thread over and to offer some advice.