Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stupid squeaky rear isolators...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stupid squeaky rear isolators...

This all started when I swapped out my rear end and decided to clean off the dirty rubber isolators on top of the rear springs. After doing that I get an annoying squeak anytime the car moves on the suspension. I thought about doing the hose mod but I figured if the stock rubber is squeaking then any other kind of rubber is going to squeak. I tried the spray lithium grease that others have tried but it still squeaks. I'm thinking about smearing mud on top of the isolators to make them dirty again to see if that works. I'm running out of options here. Can anyone suggest something else?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Just a question, are you positive it's the isolators and not any of the bushings?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Launching!

I'm positive...

I got under my car and had my buddy bounce and rock the back end of the car. The only place I hear squeaking from is up in the wheel wells.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno. I don't think the rear isolator's material is hard enough to squeek. I'd also say it would be bushings or a mouse that got caught in the spring's coil.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Could/would you be willing to try and feel where the squeak is coming from, you'll get a vibration where the squeak is. If not, it might be messy, but try waterproof chassis grease between the isolator and the chassis. Also, make sure the isolator sits on the spring correctly. Did you do anything to the shocks, like replacement? If so, make sure those are tightened properly too. Other than that, if it's still there, and not it's the LCA, PHB, or sway bar bushings, I haven't a clue.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I dunno. I don't think the rear isolator's material is hard enough to squeek. I'd also say it would be bushings or a mouse that got caught in the spring's coil.
It does sound like a mouse. It only occurs at low speed or if the chassis moves while stationary (e.g. getting in and out of the car, pushing down or rocking the rear). It's a definite rubber on metal sound. I'm 98% certain it's the isolators but I've been wrong before. I'll check around again. I had the whole rear suspension apart when I swapped rear ends. I'll make sure everything is still torqued down. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Good luck
Old 07-26-2007, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Mine has started doing the same thing. I'm positive it's coming from the spring isolator. If you find a sure fix for it let me know.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Well, I went out and looked the rear suspension over and checked the tightness of every nut and bolt. One of the bolts holding the PHB was slightly loose and was causing a little vibration but no squeaking when the car was shook. I tightened it up but there was still squeaking coming from the top of the springs. So I reached up there and sprinkled some baby powder on top of the grease that was already sitting on top of the isolators. I took her for a test drive and there's no more squeaking. We'll see how it goes for a few days but I think the problem is gone.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Baby Powder????? That's awesome... I definately give you credit, that's a new one for me, good job
Old 07-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rd_ls1_z
Baby Powder????? That's awesome... I definately give you credit, that's a new one for me, good job
Lol, it was either that or rose fertilizer...I chose the better smelling of the two.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Nice....
Old 07-29-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bah mines doing the same thing after I swapped rear ends. It squeeks on every single bump and its soo annoying. Looks like I will have to try the baby powder trick.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

hows it holding up?

Originally Posted by waveoff
Well, I went out and looked the rear suspension over and checked the tightness of every nut and bolt. One of the bolts holding the PHB was slightly loose and was causing a little vibration but no squeaking when the car was shook. I tightened it up but there was still squeaking coming from the top of the springs. So I reached up there and sprinkled some baby powder on top of the grease that was already sitting on top of the isolators. I took her for a test drive and there's no more squeaking. We'll see how it goes for a few days but I think the problem is gone.