Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny wont go back after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny wont go back after clutch install

We installed a new clutch as mine was gettin worn and not workin as it should... Anyway, we installed the new clutch and are remounting the transmission but IT WILL NOT GO BACK IN!

We made sure that alignment tool for the clutch came out smoothly and it does so very easily... We put some lubrication on the input shaft and it will go all the way in but for about an INCH... we've got the tranny leveled off and all, and have wiggled, pushed and shaken as much as possible but it refuses to go back in that extra inch... It was in neutral when we took it out....

So what are we missing here? Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my DD and its a crap shoot without it...
Old 07-26-2007, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Greasing the alignment pins will help some. When I did mine, I actually had to slowly draw the trans back on once the pins were started in their holes. Get as many bolts started as you can and tighten them like you are putting on a wheel in a star pattern. Make sure the shaft is correctly in the clutch before you go tightening stuff down. Take it easy while tightening it and make sure not to crossthread any bolts and that everything is aligned properly. This is what I did, and it worked when I couldn't just shove it back on there.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

We were going to try the bolt-it-back-in trick if all else fails as I didn't want to ruin some threads or the shaft trying to "force" it back in. We'll try to grease the alignment pins also..

Anybody else have anything to offer up? We did have to replace the pinion bearing as the last one was SMASHED so I am wondering if something is fux0red....
Old 07-26-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Optimal
We were going to try the bolt-it-back-in trick if all else fails as I didn't want to ruin some threads or the shaft trying to "force" it back in. We'll try to grease the alignment pins also..

Anybody else have anything to offer up? We did have to replace the pinion bearing as the last one was SMASHED so I am wondering if something is fux0red....
I wouldn't do that! Put the trans in gear, and spin the output shaft while you're trying to put it in. It sounds like it isn't splining into the clutch disc.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

thats what my dad said is to put it in gear... I agree with that over bolting...
Old 07-26-2007, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

If you can get the trans close enough to start the bolts, the shaft should be in the clutch disk. With my car, the problem was the pins fit so tightly in the holes, you couldn't wiggle or shove it in. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Teching In

I have used the bolt in method many times. I have taken the tranny off of an f-body about seven times and I have only been able to push the tranny all the way in to the bellhousing twice. These two times I didn't replace the clutch, just the slave cylinder and throwout bearing. Every time that a clutch was replaced I had to put the bolts in and start to tighten them. The worst was when I installed a Spec Clutch and I actually had to buy longer bolts. The seating pressure on the new pressure plate causes this. I haven't had any problems while doing this, however I knew every time that the splines were matched up. Hope this helps.

PS- I have heard some people say this is bad, so do a search and see if there are any horror stories about this.

^^^^My disclaimer^^^^
Old 07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have memories of doing this myself, it was horrible. Mine did the same thing... I ended up laying on my back pushing with my feet on the end of the trans to force it close. I have no idea how I ever got it up there, it took a lot of cussing.

Good luck!!

Brian
Old 07-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Your clutch disk may not be aligned just right if you used the cheap plastic alignment tool. I had a mechanic I know help me put mine in and he said to get a steel input shaft from a broken transmission because he didnt like using the plastic alignment tool. You could ask a tranny shop around you if they have one. The shop that did my rebuild gave me one for free cause it was chipped on one of the helical gear teeth. My tranny went in perfect and smooth no hassle.

The other thing could be youre coming in at a bad angle.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

Well we finally got it in by "bumping" the tranny... We had wiggled and pushed all we could so then we decided why not go up and down? low and behold it worked....

And this will also be the last clutch install I ever do on any car, $250 is def worth a shop doing it ... 2AM now, and several days after the "4 hour project" began, my car lives again... ahhhh....

Thanks for all the suggestions, and we did have to use the "bolt it in slowly" method after we got it within a cm or 2... Works great, clutch is doing its job just fine, and the car.... goes?

Again, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Congrats, enjoy the satisfaction of getting it done yourself!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by aggie-chase
Congrats, enjoy the satisfaction of getting it done yourself!
ha, this was step one to the 7-8 piece build up ... But the rest of the parts will be go fast so im fine with that lol
Old 07-27-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Optimal
Well we finally got it in by "bumping" the tranny... We had wiggled and pushed all we could so then we decided why not go up and down? low and behold it worked....

And this will also be the last clutch install I ever do on any car, $250 is def worth a shop doing it ... 2AM now, and several days after the "4 hour project" began, my car lives again... ahhhh....

Thanks for all the suggestions, and we did have to use the "bolt it in slowly" method after we got it within a cm or 2... Works great, clutch is doing its job just fine, and the car.... goes?

Again, thanks for the suggestions.
Keep in mind that you learned along the way, you didn't have a shop crumple your front fenders, scratch up the underneath of your car, overtorque or improperly torque the bolts, leave parts out, not tidy up the wires, etc., etc. So while $250 is not a lot - done right and done by you - priceless!!
Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Keep in mind that you learned along the way, you didn't have a shop crumple your front fenders, scratch up the underneath of your car, overtorque or improperly torque the bolts, leave parts out, not tidy up the wires, etc., etc. So while $250 is not a lot - done right and done by you - priceless!!
Good point lol