Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change of plans........

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change of plans........

I was dead set on true duals. I have, sitting in my room, jet hot headers, two 2.5" classic chambered mufflers, and two 2.5" high flow cats. I met with the guy who was gonna weld it all up today. He put the car on a lift and walked it through with me and said he wont have enough room to run the duals. He said that he would fab up a y-pipe, run it into an I-Pipe, go over the axle, then into another y, and two pipes out the back. He will weld in one of my classic chambers into the I-Pipe, and he thinks this will be enough muffle.

Does this sound like a good setup? Its a little disappoint from being set on duals, but he said that this will be the better setup. Also he quoted my at $400 for all of this, sound good?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go somewhere else. hes trying to rip you off, because there are lots of people on here running true duals.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Is there a big difference between this and duals? because I will probably end up spending more than $400 for TD's over the axle.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

I've got another question, how much of a difference will mandrel bends make? For about the same price i can go with a custom true duals over the axle but the kicker is that all the bends are crushed. Or should i go with the y-pipe setup as stated above.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The duals can definitely be done, but I don't think there's going to be a big difference between them and the Y-I-Y pipe set up he's proposing. But one powerstick in the I is not going to be enough to quiet the system. He needs to build a catback with both powersticks like GMMG.

Most local shops don't do mandrel bends. Duals w/mandrel bends is best, and then you can work the options down from there ... duals with crush bends, next best, then Y w/mandrel bends, and so on. If you don't like what he's telling you, find another shop.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:28 PM

The difference of HP between crimp and mandrel bends wouldnt even be measurable on a dyno. Go Duals
Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

So theres not that much of a difference in HP between the Y and duals but what about sound? Everyone goes on about how duals is the best sounding system you can get. With the y setup and two powersticks will i be sounding close to duals?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The problem with the Y is rasp ... with cats you should be ok. If not, a third powerstick (or powerpack) in the I will take care of it. Duals typically have a cleaner sound but louder. With your cats they should sound great.