Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car failed db inspection. Need help swappin muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car failed db inspection. Need help swappin muffler

Ok Im pissed. Finally got the CEL's out and took it to the motor vehicle to get inspected. Though my exhaust was pushin it but it read at 104 db@2500 rpms. Max allowed is 96db. Im runnin Kooks LT's and catted Y through a LM2. What muffler can I easily swap into the LM2 resonators place to get it quiet? And it also failed saying there was no history in the PCM for OBD2 stuff. Probably from disconnecting the battery while replaceing 8,000 different sensore trying to get the CEL's out. Any way whats an easily swappable muffler? I dont care how it sounds or flows as long as it passes inspection.

Thanks,

Erik
Old 07-30-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody? Im not looking for the typical magnamouth or borlamouth replacements. Need something to actually cut down the sound. On a side note my dad said they use to drill holes in the exhaust put some pins in place and stuff the exhaust with steel wool back in the day to quiet it down....
Old 07-30-2007, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Try a Car chemistry insert for the db problem.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I checked out car chem. Thanks. Do you think on if those jammen in the exhaust somewhere would bring it down nearly 10db's?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Teching In

I know this isn't the answer your looking for and not trying to be a dick... But if your state is that *** backwards, time to move.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
Anybody? Im not looking for the typical magnamouth or borlamouth replacements. Need something to actually cut down the sound. On a side note my dad said they use to drill holes in the exhaust put some pins in place and stuff the exhaust with steel wool back in the day to quiet it down....
This absolutely works lol, i used to do it on my 65 chevy truck that was way to lout, drill a hole in your tailpipe, stuff tailpipe with steal wool, put screw into hole to hold steel wool in, youll be amazed at how silent yoru car will become, get inspected, remove screw rev it up blow that steel wool out and viola your done.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

powerpack
Old 07-31-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's freakin' loud. But loud also has to do with how
close, and you want to read the letter of the regs and
be sure you get the full benefit of distance you're due -
and not in some echo-chamber shop bay either.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
This absolutely works lol, i used to do it on my 65 chevy truck that was way to lout, drill a hole in your tailpipe, stuff tailpipe with steal wool, put screw into hole to hold steel wool in, youll be amazed at how silent yoru car will become, get inspected, remove screw rev it up blow that steel wool out and viola your done.
my father used to do that with his 69 sidepiped vette. every year at inspection time he would find a can that fit inside of his exhaust, drill holes in it and stuff it with steel wool. He would drive to the inspection station at 1500 rpms. Go through inspection...drive away..rev it up at the next light and it would be loud as hell again.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok heres the plan. Im gonna get some thin gauge wire. Take off the Dual dual tips. Pack the exhaust with some steel wool. bend a few pieces of the wire across the pipe so it holds the wool in place and then slip the tips back over to hold the wire in place. Think it'll work? I dont know how visible it will be. haha worth a shot
Old 08-07-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have an audio wav.file of your set up? Just want to hear whats to loud.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

unfortunately Im not advanced enough to get a sound or vid clip up. I really didnt think it was that loud. Thought it would scrape by.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
Ok heres the plan. Im gonna get some thin gauge wire. Take off the Dual dual tips. Pack the exhaust with some steel wool. bend a few pieces of the wire across the pipe so it holds the wool in place and then slip the tips back over to hold the wire in place. Think it'll work? I dont know how visible it will be. haha worth a shot
I would say that is a good idea, because with the dual dual tips you can not see straight into the pipe so therefore it should be "coast clear" for you.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The legal steel wool baffle worked!