Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random tech poor quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random tech poor quality

The also had horriable customer service. This of course is all in my own opinion but here is an example of there poor quality. Why is my cat resting against my bell housing, especially with all the clearence on the passenger side?

Look at all that room!

I have made several attempts to get Random Tech to try and figure out why, they don't even care to try, in fact their answer is nothing's bolt on. I personally feel that is a way to divert from the real issue. My car is no different from every other Chevy Camaro of my generation and if you make a part that is direct fit, or bolt on, then it should be. Companies for far too long have thought that it is the responsablity of the customer to deal with problems. I feel it is the companies problem (they are the one's who designed it). Sorry for this rant but look at Random Tech's work, I sent them these pictures and nothing but rudeness was directed at me. -1 for Random Tech I would advise against purchasing their products, but that's just me.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

I'd say its more an issue of the header manufacturer than Random tech. I mean the right and left cats are the same size right?
Old 08-01-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you try to use a pry bar and bend it a little bit?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:13 PM

I have made several attempts to get Random Tech to try and figure out why, they don't even care to try, in fact their answer is nothing's bolt on. I personally feel that is a way to divert from the real issue. My car is no different from every other Chevy Camaro of my generation and if you make a part that is direct fit, or bolt on, then it should be. Companies for far too long have thought that it is the responsablity of the customer to deal with problems. I feel it is the companies problem (they are the one's who designed it). Sorry for this rant but look at Random Tech's work, I sent them these pictures and nothing but rudeness was directed at me. -1 for Random Tech I would advise against purchasing their products, but that's just me.
I am obviously new to LS1 tech, but someone e-mailed me about this thread, and I felt I needed to respond. I work for Random Tech.

dnm12, I find it "curious" to say the least that when I checked with everyone here, NO ONE has seen the photos you have posted, and no one has spoken to anyone with a fit problem like the one you describe. As for your comment that someone here said "nothing's a bolt on" that is absolutely false. All of the direct fit products we manufacture are designed to bolt-in with no modifications.

I have personally installed one of these systems on a friend's 98 SS and had absolutely no fit problems. As radkon has suggested, it looks like the problem is being caused by the headers, NOT the Random Tech y-pipe. As for our customer service, I advise ANYONE having a problem with a Random Technology product call us at 770/554-4242 and ask for Customer Service. I can assure you you will be treated courteously and every effort will be made to assist you in solving your problem.

In your case, we would be happy to check the system you received in our fixture and make sure it is correct. If necessary, we'll even install it on a vehicle and verify the fit that way. For reference, I've included a photo of a system installed on the '98 SS. As you can see, there's plenty of clearance between the converters and the bellhousing-- however, this car has stock exhaust manifolds.
Attached Thumbnails Random tech poor quality-ls1-ypipe.jpg  

Last edited by RT450; 08-01-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

dnm12, I find it "curious" to say the least that when I checked with everyone here, NO ONE has seen the photos you have posted, and no one has spoken to anyone with a fit problem like the one you describe. As for your comment that someone here said "nothing's a bolt on" that is absolutely false.

calling me a lair is once again proving your poor customer service and furthering my point.

We have talked and someone got these photos. I have installed other y-pipe and cat combos that fit perfect. The issue is the passenger cat was welded wrong. I am sure if they Random Tech had just shipped an extra one out to me and waited to see if it would have fit everything would have turned out fine. I offered to pay shipping but that offer was declined. This was a few months ago when it all happened. I waited to see what Random Tech would do and they did nothing, so I posted.

I have no need to argue with you, the issue was not dealt with in a positive nor effective manner. As I said I would advise against ordering from them but that is merely my opinion.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just came across this thread... i was looking at getting some RT cats cuz i've heard they are about the best out there... what ever happened with this?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Similar Issue

I don't want to be a whinner also but i tried several times to contact Random Tech because of my exhaust rattling/ bumping against my chassis. I had the set up professionally installed since then i've had to have it readjusted 3 times for the same issue. Any help would be greatful.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeaneGrae
I don't want to be a whinner also but i tried several times to contact Random Tech because of my exhaust rattling/ bumping against my chassis. I had the set up professionally installed since then i've had to have it readjusted 3 times for the same issue. Any help would be greatful.
shove a piece of heater hose between the pipe and the chassis. duh.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't post over here very often, mostly just lurk in the CTS-V section, however I do have experience with Random tech.

I had a pair of random tech high flow replacement cats on my car prior to going to Kooks Long tubes, and swapping them out for the kooks leadpipe located cats.

I had an issue with one of my cats throwing codes after a few months. I spoke with Clay at Random tech, and he worked with me, and walked me through torubleshooting, and presented my options. After trying a few things which ultimately didn't work, he shipped me out a new cat no questions asked.

My random tech experience was first class. Their product is also very nice. The cats that kooks ships with their headers are turds compared to the RT cats. (note: I love my kooks headers, and they are top flight, but the cats they ship are a different matter.)

My $0.02,

Chris
Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

anyone got any pics of the inside/guts of these cats?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 09-04-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trukk
My random tech experience was first class. Their product is also very nice.
Chris
I totally agree. When I bought my cats (1.5yrs ago), the customer service from Random Tech was excellent. They even went so far as to call TTS (who has no cs whatsoever) to get the header flange bolt hole pattern so they could sell me the correct flanges with my cats.