Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tickets for being toooo loud..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tickets for being toooo loud..

My friend has a 2002 Camaro Z28 with SLP Series 1 exhaust, headers, and cam. The thing is loud. The police arent a big fan of it either. So he tells me that he usually gets pulled over about once every three weeks because of it. They have given him tickets before, but he feels like there isnt really anything that he can do about it besides swap out parts to make it less loud. I thought that if the exhaust system was street legal then they couldnt give you tickets for it. What should I tell him to do? He wants to change the exhaust system to something less loud to start with, but I dont think he should have to.

I know it may not be as loud as some of the members on this site are, but it is pretty loud though. Has anyone had the same problems that he is facing? What would you do if you were in his situation?

Nothing on his car is illigal, and thats what I keep telling him.. But if its not illigal, why is he able to get tickets for it?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anytime your car or bike has modifications to the exhaust altering it from stock form it's illegal per the law. Only time it doesn't apply is to trucks b/c it can be used to increase towing & trucks are considered work vechicles.

So any exhaust modification is illegal on a "street" car as far as the cops are concerned. Just depends on if they wanna be a dick about it or not.

The loudmouth exhaust is a aquired taste. It's loud & raw with LOTS of rasp.

If he wants to go quieter & keep the cops off his *** but not sacrifice alot of power, tell him to go with a Hooker system. It's one of the highest flowing mufflers out for our cars. It will even weld directly into the existing stock pipe. It is really quiet down low but screams @ WOT. Has a nice deep sound to it alos with VERY minimal rasp.

I get nothing but compliments on mine & I'm H/C also. Plus it attracts more racing b/c it almost sound stock sitting at a light.

Last edited by BIG_MIKE2005; 08-08-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:29 PM

That's really not accurate Big Mike. Each state has noise regulations for automobiles and whether it is "stock" or not is not relevant to that. You should investigate your state laws on this.

Normally you only run into problems if you have removed smog equipment (e.g. "off road pipes") or if you're running no muffler (Loud Mouth) or non-street mufflers (single-chambers or very short straight-thru mufflers).

However, there's plenty of high-flowing mufflers that knock out some sound. Your friend could easily install one of those systems if he wants to avoid the police harassment. You can't have much pity on the folks with long tubes, ORP's and tiny glasspacks and/or no mufflers... of course you'll get a ticket for that if you're not careful.

That being said, I've run all over the place with an open cut-out in the past and never gotten pulled over for it. You keep rpm's LOW when cops are nearby, put-put by them! If you're showing off, plan to get pulled over.

-Michael
Old 08-08-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grendal
Each state has noise regulations for automobiles and whether it is "stock" or not is not relevant to that.
-Michael
Michael,

Actually, Massachusetts recently passed a new law that I believe states aftermarket exhaust is not allowed. The reason I say "believe" is they were pushing hard and I heard it made it through. I am holding my GM Titanium exhaust for this reason.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

couldnt you also argue that some came from the factory with that? He put his on after he bought it, but SLP modded and sold some camaros with their loudmouth exhaust. I thought that if it came from the factory or was a factory option that they couldnt do anything. Some old cars dont have seat belts, and the people driving them cant get tickets for not wearing one. So whats the difference with exhaust?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Default open engine, i survived

I've been pulled over for going 23 over and the cop didn't say anything about my exhaust. Just FYI, i was open dual cutouts (LOUD)... i was afraid to hide the sound by turning the car off cause it would SCREAM when i started it back up, probably drawing the unwanted attention of the departing policeman, so i just let it idle and he had to yell into my window for me to understand what he was saying.... MEMPHIS BABY!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SLP Dual/Dual, and a cut-out. Quietest cat-back, sounds decent, flows well. Then just put a cut-out on it for when you want it loud.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Restricted User

Magnaflows are pretty quiet at idle and scream at WOT. There are also wonderful things called electric cutouts that you can put on a very quiet catback system. one small switch can take the car from mild to wild.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Resident

Most of the time noise violations are enforced "randomly" on what a cop thinks is a loud car. Most cops don't pull out a DB meter and check. I suggest your friend do a little research and find out what the laws in his area are. Get the method of measurement and a DB meter and see if he's violating. It should give you the DB weighting method, the distances to measure at and other critical aspects. If you aren't violating, fight it. If you are, fix it and quit your bitching!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

CT (atleast my town) has a law that says every 'aftermarket' exhaust is illegal. Ive been pulled over a few times myself.

Do you know anybody that owns a speed shop? If so get them to write you up a fake reciept with no date on it. When you get pulled over show the cop the reciept and tell them the new quite exhaust is on back order and you should have it on in a week or so. That has gotten me out of atleast two tickets. (Just hope you dont get the same cop a few weeks later)
Old 08-09-2007, 07:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly. I made my comments off personal experience & I actually made a cop explain it to me one time b/c I tried to argue with him about the truck next to me being louder than me. Even though I was the one who got pulled over.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

My problem is with the bikes rolling around such as Harley's which are basically straight headers... Deff WAY louder than most of our cars and more annoying sound wise IMO, but yet they never get bothered AND its stock being that loud. If they can be that loud why the hell cant we be that loud if the whole "loudness" law is what is being enforced when you get pulled over for "loud exhaust"...just a thought that popped into my head while bored at work
Old 08-09-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

a quick cheap fix would be to swap out the resonator for a Moroso spiral flow muffler. Theyre only 50 bucks and would be a direct replacement. I had this on my car for awhile and it sounded good, but I wanted louder so I went with td's.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
CT (atleast my town) has a law that says every 'aftermarket' exhaust is illegal. Ive been pulled over a few times myself.

Do you know anybody that owns a speed shop? If so get them to write you up a fake reciept with no date on it. When you get pulled over show the cop the reciept and tell them the new quite exhaust is on back order and you should have it on in a week or so. That has gotten me out of atleast two tickets. (Just hope you dont get the same cop a few weeks later)

Out of curiosity, what town in CT do you live in? I live in CT as well, new britain has never said a word, and ellington never did either when i lived there..... Just curious where to stay out of LOL.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran an "X" pipe and no cats(B&B) in my Cad and it was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think (stunk also).

Was fun being obnoxious and setting off car alarms, but I got stopped twice and ticketed once for the noise.

I put the resonator and the cats back on.

Lost about 20hp, but the peace of mind is worth it.

My arguement to the cop that if HARLEYS can be louder (they are), I have the equivelent of 4 Harleys, and blah blah blah....

Creative, but didn't fly.

Quick Reply: Tickets for being toooo loud..