Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Got to see a set of ABUs for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got to see a set of ABUs for the first time

My troops that are deploying were issued ABUs so I actually got to hold them and try on the top. I have to say I'm not impressed. The fabric feels thick and hot. What bases were the test bases for these? They must have been somewhere cold. If Barksdale would have been the test base we would have ended up with shorts, a tank top and flip flops. I will be one of the last guys still wearing bdus in 2011 What are you guys' thoughts on them?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We have them here at Sheppard. I looked at them today at clothing sales, and I am with you....I will be one of the last to get them. I wear nothing but winter weights, and these things are thicker and heavier material! With that uniform comes new socks, new shirts, new belt, new boots, etc....

BTW, did you know that the funky green boots for the ABU are authorized to be worn with BDU's....boy, that looks like ****!

Jack
Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by babydeuce

BTW, did you know that the funky green boots for the ABU are authorized to be worn with BDU's....boy, that looks like ****!

Jack
Ha ha, I did not know that. I think I will buy a pair of those and rock them with the bdus.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:42 AM
NKAWTG...N

The puke green ones are authorized with BDU's? Hahah oh man I gotta get my hand on those. No more polishing for me!
Old 08-09-2007, 03:25 AM
12 Second Club

What where does it state that! That way I can reference. Is it in the 2903?

I got to feel the material also and I was not impressed at all. They wanna field test something next time give them to people that work outdoors in the heat and the cold and tear **** up. Im sure most maintainers will have them boots dirty on the first day. Then some ******* jack *** office *** is gonna give them **** about the dirty new uniform and image kind of ****. I want to use the uniform now because I cannot stand the sq that I am in right now and im will to fess up the bones so I dont need to sport the sq patch.

-- I bet the testees (haha) were all caught up in the BS because they thought they were important. Then they forgot about it being functional. I remembered getting the old winter weight DCU back in the day and that sucked *** when the summer DCU came out it was on my top 10 list of what AF did good list. Im thinking this new design is going to bake our ***** clean off and create swamp *** city x10 in the desert compared to the current summer weight DCU.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

The uniform board has its own webpage. There is a Frequently asked question section, someone asked about the green boots with the BDU, and the answer was "they are authorized with ANY AF utility uniform" I will get you guys a link when I get to the shop.

Jack
Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone washed a set a few times? I know the ragular BDU's are tick and hot when yu first get them you just have to wash them and wear them a few times to break them in....
Old 08-09-2007, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Has anyone washed a set a few times? I know the ragular BDU's are tick and hot when yu first get them you just have to wash them and wear them a few times to break them in....

Well if that is the case I can dig it.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cant give you guys a direct link because you must go through the AF portal, but here are the instructions on how to get there....

You have to go to the AF Portal:

Under Top Viewed: Career

Click on Air Force Uniform Program

Under Spotlight, click on Airman Battle Uniform, there you will find the Most Frequently Asked questions
Old 08-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Teching In

There was a article in the AF Times about the weight. It was said that "we know they are heavy and a little warmer, but we are working on it......." Typical of the higher ups rushing something new in to beef up their OPR.

I give it 6 months before some dumbass starches it, then expects everyone to. The BDUs were suppose to be no starch, but that went to hell. I expect the same here.

If you like this, wait for the new service dress. More fun and games are coming.

Damn, I retired just in time.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 PM
NKAWTG...N

NOT looking forward to the new service dress.

And I can see us having to starch the ABU soon. It's wayyy to similar to the BDU to get away without doing it IMO.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, these ABU's are a little thicker, but since we are deploying soon, we wont even be wearing these things on patrol. We just got issued a set of Flight Suits.... The ABU's are for wearing around the base when going to the chow hall and whatnot...
Old 08-10-2007, 04:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mullet
I give it 6 months before some dumbass starches it, then expects everyone to. The BDUs were suppose to be no starch, but that went to hell.
Why do you have/need to starch them?

I haven't starched my BDU's since forever.

I just take an iron to them or tell the dry cleaners to "press them but don't starch them". It still comes out like a starched uniform but it still feels like an unstarched uniform.

Quite frankly I don't like starched uniforms anymore. It was cool in tech school to go around wearing a cammoed piece of card board, with creases so sharp you could do a Chuck Norris and elbow someone while cutting them in half with just your arm.......now you put that **** on and start sweating and it gets all over you, makes you feel 10 times worse.

As for the new ABU, yeah I hear it's thicker than winter weight BDU's. I think they should make them about the same as summer weights though.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

abu's were tested at Ramstien thats the only base i know of that they did testing at
Old 08-10-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

The ABU's look nice, but I don't think that they're gonna hold up for maintainers. They're just as bad as DCU's. Especially the boots which turn black in a relatively short time. (Not sure about the green ones though) I wish we could just have coveralls with our name/rank on them and have those as an authrized uniform. But I won't have to worry about that anyways I'm out in 10 days!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:51 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet 98
Yeah, these ABU's are a little thicker, but since we are deploying soon, we wont even be wearing these things on patrol. We just got issued a set of Flight Suits.... The ABU's are for wearing around the base when going to the chow hall and whatnot...
Really? AF guys just wear bags outside the wire? Hm didn't know that.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EndlessSummer85
The ABU's look nice, but I don't think that they're gonna hold up for maintainers. They're just as bad as DCU's. Especially the boots which turn black in a relatively short time. (Not sure about the green ones though) I wish we could just have coveralls with our name/rank on them and have those as an authrized uniform. But I won't have to worry about that anyways I'm out in 10 days!

I agree they look ok but for maint. guys/gals they are going to get jacked up quick.... I personally dont have to worry about that anymore since I got retrained from Crew cheif to COMM, hahaha, coveralls would have been nice though, Everyday after role call I would just roll into the bathroom take off the BDUs and just wear a t-shirt, coveralls and boots, (great during the summer)
Old 08-11-2007, 03:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats funny is the ARMY guys are saying they love the new digis, they say they are lighter and cooler. Ya think the AF could have done the same hahaha?

I know one crew dog that thinks maintenance should get the old all green uniforms back and have ABU's just for deployments.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 08-14-2007 at 03:53 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69Nova355
Why do you have/need to starch them?

I haven't starched my BDU's since forever.

I just take an iron to them or tell the dry cleaners to "press them but don't starch them". It still comes out like a starched uniform but it still feels like an unstarched uniform.

Quite frankly I don't like starched uniforms anymore. It was cool in tech school to go around wearing a cammoed piece of card board, with creases so sharp you could do a Chuck Norris and elbow someone while cutting them in half with just your arm.......now you put that **** on and start sweating and it gets all over you, makes you feel 10 times worse.

As for the new ABU, yeah I hear it's thicker than winter weight BDU's. I think they should make them about the same as summer weights though.
I agree with you. Starching is stupid, but some out there think the cardboard look and razer sharp creases show a positive military image. I say that is what the service dress is for. These are work clothes!

I also agree to the posts about maintainers and boots. One engine change will result in everything soaking into these new boots. Typical of uniform people: They don't have a clue about maintenance, they just sit on their *** behind their computers all day, worrying about where to go to lunch.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mullet
I agree with you. Starching is stupid, but some out there think the cardboard look and razer sharp creases show a positive military image. I say that is what the service dress is for. These are work clothes!

I also agree to the posts about maintainers and boots. One engine change will result in everything soaking into these new boots. Typical of uniform people: They don't have a clue about maintenance, they just sit on their *** behind their computers all day, worrying about where to go to lunch.
Yeah you have a good point there....the suede boots you get with your DCU's get torn up and dirty if you're a maintainer. Sure they make cleaning kits but that doesn't get all of the dirt out. I destroyed a pair of boots last year in Afghanistan. But thankfully to me I got a new pair to wear home on the plane and I kept my old ones to use around the garage.

Also you are correct, if you look up the BDU (I believe it's in AFI 36-2903) it states the BDU is a "utility uniform"....meaning it was designed to get dirty/torn, etc....I understand the AF not wanting us to look like a bunch of grimeballs...but not all of us work in an office, I just hope all commanders have a policy of where we are allowed to take off our BDU's and replace them with a pair of coveralls.

Quick Reply: Got to see a set of ABUs for the first time