Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Ac Help!?!??!! Jax/op Guys!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac Help!?!??!! Jax/op Guys!

so i think my ac is gone... i had the freon filled back in december 06 b/c it was low and now it blows hot air again. so i'm guessin i'm gonna need a new compressor. has anyone changed their's? i can prob. get a new compressor for pretty cheap, i would just need help installing it. i can also get on base, so it would be alot easier to work on using the lifts since the compressor is at the bottom. if anyone can help install it let me know! thanks guys...i'll bring the
Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

You might want to find out where the freon is leaking(if you haven't already) from before spending money on a compressor.

You can have a leak from an o-ring at a connection or a leak in the evaporator, condensor, a line, or the actual compressor itself.

It well be money well spent to find the leak before throwing time, money and parts at it. Just a little FYI
Old 08-08-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're not going to let you bring brewsky and drink at the hobby shop LOL. Before condemning the compressor I'd get a recharge kit and refrigerant with the dye in it to pinpoint where it's leaking.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:59 PM
FormerVendor

I can fix your a/c , I have everything to do a/c, let me know if I can help, thanks jason
Old 08-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Banned

i know there is something wrong with the compressor b/c when i took it up to the ac shop and had him fill the freon he told me, there are two magnetic pieces...and i'm not sure exactly how they work except that when they AC is turned on they come together and spin and when the AC is off they seperate and spin. well mine dont seperate far enough so sometimes when the AC is off they rub each other and make this loud scraping noise.
does anyone know what i'm talkin about?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:09 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah, your clutch doesn't have the right gap
Old 08-08-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

With knowing that info I would either put a new clutch and coil assembly on your old compressor or get a new one, preferably the second choice. I would also do the leak checking before opening the system so you can make all the repairs at once.

Also make sure if you go with a new compresor that you add the appropriate oil charge and rotate the compressor by hand before charging the system with freon and running the new compressor!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you get a new compressor, I've been told that you need to get a new acuumulator/dryer and new orphus tube as well. Getting some dye in there first though isn't a bad idea to show you the leak. Thats how I found mine.

I'm changing this crap all out on mine cause I have a leak on the compressor itself. That and new clutch/flywheel and replacing a few sensors... woohoo! Good luck with yours!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

It is highly reccomended that whenever you make a repair to the system(replace comp., evap, cond) that you replace the accumulator/drier and the orifice tube.

If you don't have a leak and all that is wrong is the clutch on the comp. you can get away with just replacing the comp. If you do have a leak where moisture and other contaminants can get into the system or if the comp. failed internally then you would defiantely have to replace the above items.

Quick Reply: Ac Help!?!??!! Jax/op Guys!