Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley, gears, or save for cam?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulley, gears, or save for cam?!

I have the mods listed in my signature. I am at a point where I would like to do a cam but unfortunately I cannot decide on what one to purchase. When the decision is made it will be somewhere in the middle of the road. (i.e. 228/232) Anyways, would I see more benefit now by getting a pulley? Would you recommend a gear swap? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

What gears do you currently have? If you don't have some 4:10's already I would get some put in and wait to do the pulley for whenever you do the cam installation.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am currently running stock 3.42 gears. I have thought about going with 3.73 or 4.10 for some time as I think it would allow the use of 6th gear more.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Toss in 4:10s....then save for a cam and do the pulley then.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not worry about gears too much unless you are planning on buying a bigger size cam. From the looks of your mods you pretty much have all the bolt-ons minus a pulley. I would buy the pulley and then look into getting a cam. My cousin ran the F11(228 230) with the stock 3.42 gears and his car pulled like a freight train. Plus if you get gears IMO the rear is more likely to go faster vs. leaving the stock GM gears in there. Goodluck
Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.10 in an m6 car can make a .5 second difference. I put 4.10 in my car, and will never look back. Out of the hole the car pulls so much harder. Id do what everyone is saying.. Gear(what ever size you decide) then wait for who ever does the pulley to do the cam. I just did my pulley yesterday, and it was a pain coming off, and a pain going back on. The bolt was easy to get off, the rest sucked. Your car with a 4.10 and pulley should be able to hit low 12's on a good tire.. Not sure what your running now.

Now not only do you have to decide on a cam, but you have to decide on a gear, and manufacture. Id suggest genuine gm with motive install kit. I have no whine at all from mine. Good luck.

Chris
Old 08-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Restricted User

I agree completely. I recently went w/ 4.10s and there's a hell of a difference! Definitely buy the AAM gears (same company that makes them for GM) and the motive MASTER install kit. you're gonna want to have those bearings changed if you've got more than 60k miles on the car. It just makes sense.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Hi all you, don't meen to hijack just got some questions.

How does 4.10's effect gas milage? Obveisly to the negative, but how how much?

And how much does the gear swap cost (if I do the work)?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheRealSpdFreak
Hi all you, don't meen to hijack just got some questions.

How does 4.10's effect gas milage? Obveisly to the negative, but how how much?

And how much does the gear swap cost (if I do the work)?
If you do the work.. Other then parts? free. Lol. Seriously the gm gear, with motive master install kit was 274.99 and they have free shipping at speed inc. Add some royal purple fluid, gm additive. You should be under 325 bucks total. Plan on it taking a full day. IF you have no way of pressing the new bearings on, maybe find a shop with a press that can do it for you. Or get a pipe, and hammer out. To be honest with you, i had never done one before. And it took a decent amount of time, we were in no hurry but it was easy.

Too be honest with you, it was easier then the crank pulley i did yesterday. That thing was a damn pita.

As for gas mileage i dont drive my car a ton, but normal driving when i last filled up i got about 17 mpg.. On the highway in 6th i can get about 23mpg. Not to bad.

Chris