Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why no egr, maf, o2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why no egr, maf, o2 sensor?

i have a 99 camaro z28, and is not equiped with a maf, egr, or an 02 sensor. why would someone take these parts off? does it make a power difference?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Well if it doesnt have a MAF, then you must be running on an SD tune. EGR is commonly deleted for a few different reasons, no biggie. The car comes 4 o2 sensors total. The rear 2 are usually deleted or simmed out, but if you have an SD tune in the car, it doesnt need any o2 sensors.

But a car doesnt usually have an SD tune unless its got some nice go fast parts in it, are you sure about what your saying?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power difference no. They also can get tempermental in temperature changes, people that do speed density tunes, usually have the ability to change them somewhat often. Maybe the car was heavily modified, and parts where taken off before being sold to you?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Well if it doesnt have a MAF, then you must be running on an SD tune. EGR is commonly deleted for a few different reasons, no biggie. The car comes 4 o2 sensors total. The rear 2 are usually deleted or simmed out, but if you have an SD tune in the car, it doesnt need any o2 sensors.

But a car doesnt usually have an SD tune unless its got some nice go fast parts in it, are you sure about what your saying?
yes, i am 100% sure these parts are not on the car, there is NO o2 sensors at all, and no maf. why would someone do an sd tune? i do believe this car was and still is modded, but im unsure to what extent. what kind of go fast parts would someone put on to do something like this? i would def like to learn more about this.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
Power difference no. They also can get tempermental in temperature changes, people that do speed density tunes, usually have the ability to change them somewhat often. Maybe the car was heavily modified, and parts where taken off before being sold to you?
what kind of parts would be ran on this kind of set up?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

I assume a cam, headers, and must have a LS6 or aftermarket intake. Do you know what the stock parts look like? Like the intake, manifolds/headers, air lid?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98RedZone
I assume a cam, headers, and must have a LS6 or aftermarket intake. Do you know what the stock parts look like? Like the intake, manifolds/headers, air lid?
yeah, it has headers with no smog provission, td's with turn downs, it has no lope so im not thinking cam, heads are stock from what i see on casting nmbers, intake looks stock but the ls6 intake looks the same so idunno, it has a 2500 stall converter, and a 12 bolt rear. slp air intake,
Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

And the cars runs fine with no problems?

Usually they end up on cars running a big H/C combo. Not just your regular bolt on combination. How is it your not exactly sure if the car is modded? Not trash talkin, just elaborate on that some. Tell us what you do know, or what your thinking it might be, post any pics of under the hood or anything that would be relevant.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
And the cars runs fine with no problems?

Usually they end up on cars running a big H/C combo. Not just your regular bolt on combination. How is it your not exactly sure if the car is modded? Not trash talkin, just elaborate on that some. Tell us what you do know, or what your thinking it might be, post any pics of under the hood or anything that would be relevant.
the car runs GREAT, AND FAST, runs extreamly well on 100 octane it runs good on 91 nothing else
i know the car has mods, im just unsure of what has been done to the car. i am mechanically inclined, im here looking for help. the engine bay looks stock right down to the ac.
i am unsure of mods since i bought the car from some used car lot that had no idea about the car.
also no cats are being ran either
Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

the only way to run a car with No O2's is to got Open Loop, spped density has nothing to do with it.
Just FYI.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 AM
TECH Addict

pretty much the car has been setup to not pass smog... if you don't have an ses light and no open codes your good until smog comes around... then you'll want to put that crap back on unless you have a hookup. obviously you have a SD tune which always good for some extra poowwwhhhaaaa
Old 08-14-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your in San Jose, Ca.. I question how or why the dealer would be able to sell you that car without the Smog equipement. It would be illegal for him to do so. You will not be able to pass the visual. It really sound like the last owner has it setup for SD tune to get more HP out of it.

If you think the car can't pass the smog test next time, You better take the car back to the dealer now and ask for a refund (or report him to the DMV or other departments). Else you will be stuck with trying to add all of the smog equipement back on (or trying to get some one to pass with with a few hundred $$$, with is illegal) every other year).

You will need the AIR pump, EGR setup, CAT's, OS2, MAF and anything else that is related and also have to pass the stupid dyno smog test. It is illegal to remove any of that in California (not saying I have not done it, but just stating the facts that you will have to deal with).

Having a fast car is great, but having to deal with the SMOG ever other year is PITA ! and can get costly.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Brief Encounter
the only way to run a car with No O2's is to got Open Loop, spped density has nothing to do with it.
Just FYI.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you plz post a pic of your engine bay? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, first of all, the dealer did not know all this stuff was missing until i pointed it out. it was going to cost him around 1600 to make it pass, thankfully i have the hookup so i dont care if the car will pass smog or not. i smoged the car and everyhting is good.
SCREW SMOG!!!!!!

also how much extra hp do you get from a SD tune?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Its still a tune, so a little but not much, maybe right in/around the 10 area...?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

first your car has the sd tune, no maf 02's true duals and a 12 bolt.. i say it was heavylee modded sometime in its "life"
Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

olny 10, yeah not really worth it, would it depend on mods inorder to get more? and here are some pics of engine compartment.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why would someone go through the trouble of taking all that stuff off...ie. cam, heads, all that stuff. it seems like more work than whats its worth. and i plan on getting it on a dyno when i get some money. i plane on a cam, heads, and intake in future, im shooting for 550-600 rwhp. and its going to be all motor.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like an ls6 intake to me