Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e install help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e install help

does someone have a "how to" for installing a 4l60e / torque converter? Im an aircraft mechanic so Ive got no problem with the maintenance part. Im only concerned because I bought my 98 camaro from a friend who dropped a $2800 tranny in that lasted 4 days. I now have a new identical tranny/torque converter ready for install but I don't want to have it end up the same. Is there a gm guide with torque settings and install steps availible??
Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's an awfully expensive transmission to fail in such a short period of time. Any idea what the failure was?

Installing an automatic transmission is not all that difficult, especially if you are mechanically inclined and have a decent tool kit.

The cooler lines seem to be a bit of an issue for 1st timers. You will need to take a pick with a sharp point or a small pocket screwdriver to release the clips that hold the cooler lines to the fittings at the side of the case prior to removing the tranny.

The one important issue you want to concern yourself with is the installation of the torque converter to the transmission. It is installed prior to installing the transmission to the engine. It can be difficult at times... you will know it is installed properly when you can no longer slide your fingers between the converter and the transmission front pump.

If you have any questions give me a call and I woill walk you through it.

g
Old 08-15-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

You are always on top of my questions Ratchthed! I can not confirm what happened exactly but after reading up I've come to 2 conclusions..but first the story.

My friend came into a little money when a family member past away. The camaro (98) was his at the time and after a stock 4l60E gave way, he decided to use the money to give his baby some teeth. We're in the Air Force in Germany BTW so keep in mind this is a German garage that probably never plays with American muscle.

It started off with the block being stripped, washed and honed out to make way for a stroker kit. Which led to a heads and cam package which led to a FAST intake manifold and 90mm throttle body, which led to headers, SLP loudmouth exhaust and the list kept growing and growing. Over the course of a year the car sat dormant and was slowly build up. The last thing to fix was the first thing to go out...the tranny. My friend bought this 4l60e with the torque drive upgrade and a 2800 stall

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l60e.htm

The tranny was installed along with the last few goodies he had at the time (including his freshly tuned computer he sent to thunder racing where he bought nearly everything except the stroker kit) and the car started up without any problems...not even a check engine light.

This is where the details are sketchy. Knowing my friend like I do I can safely assume that he got the car out of the shop, got on the Autobahn and razed hell as soon as he got it. I can kind of understand after waiting so long but personally I would have taken it easy for a while. Anyway, 4 days later the car was back at the same shop. He said when he was driving and took his foot off the gas, the rpm's dropped down to Idle instantly...like a manual in neutral.

The story goes something like this: The shop did not clean out the trans cooler or lines from the original tranny that crapped out and that caused the new one to destroy itself in 4 days. I asked around and heard that this is a possibility. The other possibility is that the shop incorrectly installed the converter. The damage was so severe it cost me only about $500 more to get a new replacement rather than the parts to rebuild it. I don't remember everything but I know the entire front pump was destroyed, input shaft, sprag gears, planet gears and other stuff.

Anyway, Im confident I can do it correctly but I don't want the Camaro to eat another tranny in 4 days. Any help greatly appreciated
Old 08-15-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW, I will post picks of the damaged transmission parts when I get them from the garage
Old 08-15-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have fun with the dowels.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:26 PM
FormerVendor

WHat sroach20 is referring to is sometimes these units are difficult to get off of the locating dowel pins at the engine to trans flange. Generally speaking these are an issue when the unit has not been out for several years... disimilar metals corroding causing a binding of the tranny case to the dowles. If the unit is hanging to the engine a good tug with a prybar should get it for you as it was out not too long ago.

Sounds like you got a good deal on a nice car. Be sure to not only flush the cooler well but consider installing an auxillary cooler as well.

Good Luck.

g
Old 08-15-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a need cooler, but do you think I should just flush the original and put them in series?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:00 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, run the original trans cooler in the radiator in addition to the auxillary cooler. That will do the job just fine.

g
Old 08-16-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I havent towed the car to lift to do the work so I guess Im a little confused. Are you saying the stock tranny cooler is built into the radiator? That would be a first for me
Old 08-16-2007, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

Yes, indeed it is. The factories have been installing transmission coolers into engine coolant radiators for decades. Nothing new, maybe new to you, but not new technology! No biggie, we all have to learn somewhere, somehow.

Good Luck with the project.

g

Quick Reply: 4l60e install help