Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia Exo Skel Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Textralia Exo Skel Chatter

I'm looking for a dual disk clutch for my TT LQ4. I've been researching a lot and am thinking the Textralia Exo Skel might be the best bet for me, although it's not without it's problems. One of the problems is the "Chatter" sound that some of these setups make. Not all of you guys say you have this sound made by your Exo Skel but the ones that do say it sounds like **** and is very loud. Does anybody have a video of their Exo Skel doing this? I'm curious how it sounds.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

24-Hour Bump

I thought you Exo Skel guys would have been on the case!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine only has about 30 or so miles on it, and it has already gotten quieter. Even when it sounded it's worst it didn't bother me that much. I expect a little noise from a twin disk clutch.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:21 PM
FormerVendor

After doing one in a 06 gto, the chatter was minimal. Its going to do it no matter what but it will tone down a little bit. Its basically the floater checking against that two plates. Depending on if you have a choppy idle it may be worse, just means you need a louder exhaust
Old 08-18-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The floater rattle is there on mine and after like 800 miles . Its worse I think cold and seems to get a bit quieter as car and clutch warm up. I can drown it with stereo and cutout and heater fan but it still is a bit annoying occasionally. Tex also has carbon kevlar twin discs now that work in the tex twin. Tex said they were quite a bit quieter at the expense of some power handling. I don't know why they aren't offering the carbon/kevlar as option like they do on the 0z700 with x and z grip discs. They should. I have these discs but have not installed them. They are supposed to be very streetable. Another guy posted about them. He said he didn't notice less rattle with them but tex said it was much less. Tex service has been great and most twins do have some floater rattle. Some designs are saying they have reduced or eliminated it with various design tricks.fidanza, ram to name two. Also I find my twin not the best in heavy traffic with the metallic /ceramic discs in their presently.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Again... TEX Twin here, no rattle at all????????????? Should I worry? 1500 miles and climbing....
Old 08-20-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't believe the no rattle twin guys. Even tex admits the twin rattles. With the ceramic discs its pretty loud. Turn off your stereo turn off heater fan roll down window and listen or stand beside the car when you first start it up but you have to have someone push in the clutch.It only makes the floater rattle noise when you push in the clutch. And as said several times think it does get a bit quieter as it warms up.
Also it will be more noticeable if you have something beside to reflect the sound back. Its not the end of the world. Headers tick, rear ends whine, etc but would prefer no rattle if given a choice.The carbon kevlar discs are supposedly to be quieter. I may be putting some in to my twin and see how it goes for the noise.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

While the rattle is someithing that I can live with since the clutch has pretty reasonable pressure and should take big power and is decently streetable. Still I think tex and their dealers should have in the advertising that this clutch will likely have some floater ratlte in neutral. I never heard of this until after got the clutch. Also I think its time tex offered the clutch both ways ,metallic disc and their carbon kevlar discs. Why are the carbon kevlar being kept sort of a secret. I wanted the most streetable clutch I could get that would take my planned power. The oz700 was a bit under what I needed so went to the tex twin. But the metallic/ceramic discs are a bit overkill for me with a mostly all street car.
I got my tex from Byunspeed.I still have a request from Byun to send me a copy or email of the tex twin instuctions if they are different from the 0z700 instructions.I never received any instructions at all. Another option is for tex to post these on their website than could just print them. A clutch this expensive should have come with instructions for proper torque spec and install procedures!