Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Using airconditioning as an air cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using airconditioning as an air cooler?

Would it be possible to pipe in a coil similar to that of a commercial air dryer into the intake piping of a boosted vehicle in attempt to cool the IAT?

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about I'll try to explain it the best I can. An air dryer takes compressed air from a tank thats fed by a compressor and cools it as much as it possibly can in order to pull the humidity out of the air to prevent the plant from being able to obtain a dew point in ambient temps and interfering with the operations of the pneumatic components. The application would be stuffing an evaporator coil into the intake air piping somewhere, wherever there is room, and then running the air conditioning system of the car through that evaporator coil instead of the one inside the vehicle.

Without the worry of parasitic loss from running air conditioning just working on the theory I would like someone to chime in and let me know.

I am an HVAC mechanic and I was tossing ideas back and forth with a friend of mine and I came up with that. He didn't quite know how to take it because he has no idea what I'm talking about. So I figured I could get some sort of response on here from the FI guys.

Thanks for reading I look forward for your response.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

theres already been a thread about it, its not happening. use meth or something like that
Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 PM
9 Second Club

Kinda like the kit the built for the 03 04 cobra's
Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DEI LITERATURE
The CryO2 Air Intake consists of an aerodynamically designed bulb with a cryogenic chamber which is mounted in a 4" segment of air tube. The air passes over the bulb, heat is removed from the air charge resulting in a colder, denser, more powerful charge. Dyno testing showed a reduction in intake air temperature of more than 50 degrees. The CryO2 Air Intake can be used on turbocharged, supercharged or naturally aspirated applications.

There you go, same principal, less complicated and i'd still go air to air.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Oh I wouldn't use it as a substitute of air to air, just after the intercooler, as the intercooler should help bring the temps down closer to ambient and therefore more manageable.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it and tell us how it worked.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Evolve has done it...why can't anyone else?

http://evolvec30.com/site/index.php?id=6,7,0,0,1,0
Old 08-21-2007, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is not a new idea. Turbo buick guys did it years and years ago. Yes it is very effective. The system is just more envolved, which is why they never really became popular. I had hands on experience with one and air intake temps 30 degrees below ambient was pretty easy. It used a converted stock air to air that was an air to liquid. The liquid cooled by the ac coil, no ice needed.

Between the water system, pump, ac system changes and the air intake plumbing it gets busy but works well, you just race with your ac on.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Would work great on the street. Unfortunately, most tracks would give you the boot for running the ac and dripping water on the track

Quick Reply: Using airconditioning as an air cooler?