Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans held gears longer after long drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans held gears longer after long drive

The other day after about a 150 mile highway drive, when I got into town the trans was holding gear up until about 3k rpm (even at low throttle) and then shifting. The shifting was a little harsh. All gears were there, all shifts/kickdowns worked, no slippage, just the late upshifts. 100% of the time.

Normal low throttle behavior is similar to stock, lugging along and shifting at 2k or so under light throttle.

After cool down, and after several similar drives the car has not done it again.

The car is programmed for 2.73 -> 3.42 gear change, and prior to this incident, everything is dialed in quite perfectly. It is back to working normally.

Anyone ever had this happen? Any explanation? Does the trans have some alternate mode of operation that could have gotten triggered? I was cruising at ~80mph / 2.3-2.4k rpm for quite awhile.

Fluid is fresh (maybe 10k tops, Dex VI), level is fine, red and not burnt. Car hasn't done it since. Just that one day.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Behavior is picking up, today I found that my TPS is not returning to 0% after some driving. Checked the wiring and there is no sticking of the throttle blade.

Going to try to swap in a new TPS and see if it works.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any chance it's just getting hot enough, to slide on over to the
"Hot" shift tables? Can you see trans fluid temp?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, I didn't check the trans fluid temp, I'll try to do that next time it acts up. But I do know that when it was doing it today, my TPS sensor wouldn't read 0%. It would only drop down to 12%, thus a high idle and harsh engagement.

Cool down and restart and it sets back to 0%. Seems like the TPS doesn't like being hot. I checked the connector and wiggling of the wire path doesn't seem to change the reading.

A new TPS costed all of $35 so I went ahead and ordered one. Really want the car up and running for this weekend.