Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto tranny...pan drop + filter change

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default auto tranny...pan drop + filter change

my car has hit 62k and i really want to have the trans pan dropped and replace the filter... problem is i have never done this my self and am affraid i might mess somethin up..i was quoted $137. at the dealership for pan drop, new filter, fluid...and $5 or so for a new gasket...should i do this.. i also need my rear diff. serviced as well..

thanks for any help.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It'll be a pain to do if you don't have a lift. There is no spout on the transmission pan, so when you undo the bolts, the pan will just drop freely. If you don't have perfect balance or a way of holding it steady, it's going to spill everywhere.

It's one of those things that are easy but a huge pain in the butt. It's basically take the bolts out, dump the pain, replace the filter, bolt up the pan and add 4-5 quarts of fluid...but easier said than done. It's not rocket science, but I don't blame you for taking it to a tech to get it changed because you don't have a lift. It's what I did. If the pan had a drain plug, I would have done it myself.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shop around and find a cheaper quote. Then ask your mechanic to install a drain plug for easier pan removal in the future.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

I dont think its to bad I have done it numerous times I just jacked the passenger and driver side of the car up properly supported it with stands and put the drain pan under. I loosened every pan bolt alittle bit until fluid started draining out then loosended alittle more for more fluid. It does help to have someone help you as there still is some fluid in the pan and some person can take out the last bolt why the other person holds it up. The filter I just pull out and put in another one. I dont see a point to changing the gromet that is pressed in the trans it seems like a real pain anyway. It usually costs me around 30-40 bucks when I do it myself.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Pump the fluid out via the filler tube...

AutoZone sells an orange-colored fluid pump ($10-15)...
You need some fuel hose to reach down inside the filler tube all the way to the pan, connect the other end to the pump, and then just pump then fluid out of pan and into a bucket...

Then when you undo the pan, there's hardly any fluid.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

if you hadn't done this before or never helped anyone flush a transmission.
I wouldn't otherwise if you do it, flush the lines too. just disconnect them from the rad, and blow air to them butmake sure you hold something up to the other line to collect the fluid or it'll be a mess.

Put a small bead of gasket sealer on each side of the gasket
Be careful to only tighten the bolts on the pan enough that you see the gasket snug up to the trans.

Also if you do it a trans shop should sell you a thicker gasket and filter for a less than a store bought filter kit costs...(the trans shop gasket is thicker than the autoparts have) lol I've had to does this on a very small budget before.

Last edited by Fbodynightmare; 08-16-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Banned

I find it strange that a gasket is a $5 option. Unless thats for a plastic/rubber o-ring type.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the ATP filter/gasket kit (ATP part # B-126 for standard car pan)...

the gasket in these kits is make of black felt material that expands on contact with ATF to seal any leaks (don't use gasket sealer on this gasket);

If you wanted to flush your converter and cooler: after installing the filter/gasket/pan/fluid, undo the return line and as fluid is being pumped out (engine running, trans in Park) add fluid via the fill tube... but you must know what you're doing and not let the pump suck dry... this will replace the ~8 quarts that don't usually fall out when removing the pan.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

one more Q..i bought the car used with 46k on it...like mentioned it has almost 63k on it now. i have not changed the fluid since ive owned it and have no idea if the previous owner did. Fluid looks fine, not old (dark colored). that being said will it be safe for me to have the pan dropped and change the fluid???? also i know that not all the fluid will be changed if the pan is dropped..can i have the dealership do a complete flush or will it be fine by just replacing the fluid in the pan?? and its 5qrts right??? any additives?? dex 111 or dex 1V??
Old 08-27-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

any one???
Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

no replys....any one
Old 08-27-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Well I never really bothered getting my trans flushed I just change the fluid/filter. Im no expert but I think it should be fine to change the fluid with only 63k even if it hasnt been changed. Like my buddy said if it gets screwed up from changing the fluid then it was on borrowed time. My truck had brownish fluid 163k and I changed it and it works fine although its still brown haha. I think I put about 5qts in my 4l60e.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dex III. Why would it harm it to change the fluid? The grand total is like 12 qts between trans, torque converter, and cooler if you're stock but you need to do a lot to get it all out. Drop the pan, change the filter, fill it up again, enjoy the rest of your day. If you really want every ounce changed do what joecar said, pretty easy to do.