Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heads or cam?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question heads or cam?...

i was wondering which would give me more power with the current mods I already have, a big cam or awesome heads? I look at dyno charts and the CheaTR head and cam package and yeah, the max hp and tq are higher. but anywhere from 2 to 5k rpms the stock setup has way more power. I don't see why a big cam and heads would help so much if it's only better at the end of the rpm's and way worse the rest of the time...
Old 08-27-2007, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, i've got a big cam on stock heads. If you look at my power curve, i've got 376TQ throughout the power band (RPM Range) so it really depends on the cam AND the tuner.

But a Stall would help even more in your situation, it would force the engine IN the power band.

But next for me it heads, which will put the HP/TQR curve well above 400.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

The cam and heads need to work together. One or the other will give you gains, but both when properly matched can give you more than the sum of each individually. You do usually have to trade low rpm torque for upper rpm horsepower but a properly chosen combo doesn't give up that much down low for a BIG gain up top.
Sounds like you're into low to mid range torque, you might like the GMPP "hot cam" on stock heads or some thing around 220-230 dur. .550- .575 lift on Patriot ported LS6 heads. Either way, you'd pick up quite a bit from 2500 rpm on up.
Don't let the internet get you stuck thinking you need a huge cam if that's not what you're looking for.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

To a certain degree yes, big cams do help with low AND mid range torque, but it really depends on personal preference.

What I woudl suggest is taking a rid in head/cam or even cam only cars to better see exactly WHAT you want and not just going by impressions.

I went to a local LS1 meet here locally, and figured exactly what I wanted, got with a proven installer/motor builder and we spec'ed it for EXACXTLY what I was looking for.

My Z is setup for street/drag strip so HIGH end MPH won't really matter, becaues if your top speed on a stock head but bigger cam, you won't even get close to the top end of the MPH range.

But like I said....depends on what you want the car to do!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

This thread has some very good info about the sizes of cams and when they make their power, etc.

LINK
Old 08-28-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

I'd go both if it's w/in your budget. When i first considered a cam upgrade, i wanted cam only. But the more i looked into it i felt it would be wiser to do them both at the same time.

If you had to choose b/t just one or the other.... Cam. I hear reverse splits tend to favor stock heads.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i can afford both... where can i find a good combo that'll make over 400rwhp with LT headers, full exhaust, lid, ported TB, LS6 intake?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

texas speed and performance has some head/cam packages that pretty much any one will get you @ your goal.