Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help

First off Gbody has been a huge help to me on a few things,he is like the Shell answer man but better.
I am posting up looking for some quick response to WTF did i do?
I have my 92 K1500 running,6.0 w/LS1 heads ,nice cam and LTs,00 Fbody harness,re-worked by wait for me and 00 PCM tuned by him.

Fired up last nigh engine sounds great.I ran the PCM fuel pump wire to the green OE relay and tied it in,I didnt turn on the FP,I jumped the fuel pump to get it to run also the gauge was pegged,Guys what did I do wrong? Also now after running it several times I think I may have killed the FP,I can here it running put getting no pressure like it was out of fuel I did add some.This was a old 00 silverado pump I used.

What are you guys using for throttle cables?mine was a v6 and is way short.
I have no cooling fans when she got warm almost like it wasnt turned on in the pcm as requested,I guess I need to test the fan wire to see if it grounds when the temp gets up?
Really appreciate this forum and the folks here willing to help
Attached Thumbnails Need Help-farm-truck.jpg   Need Help-6.0-closer.jpg  
Old 08-28-2007, 10:47 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What car is the fuel pump relay from? The green and white wire from the PCM will provide a +12V signal to the fuel pump relay, so the other side of the relay needs to be grounded. How did you jump the relay out? did you remove it and put a jumper wire between terminals 30 and 87 or did you leave it in place and provide +12V to terminal 85 like the PCM should have?

Heres a quick check, Connect a volt meter between ground and the pin 85 of the connector that the relay plugs into, when you turn the key on there should be 12v there for 2 seconds. If thats good then the PCM is sending the signal. Now check that terminal 86 has a good conection to ground. If both of those check out try putting a different relay in for the fuel pump.

As far as fuel pressure, do you have ANY? If you used the fuel pump from the 00` and connected it to the 1992 sending unit with the piece of black rubber hose that was previously used on the 92 sending unit it may have blown out. When mine did that it had ~10-15psi. Not really enough to run the motor, but the pump still ran.

I used the 2001 tahoe cable that came with my motor.

Did you fill the motor with coolant through the upper rad hose?
The fan relays are backwards, the PCM provides a ground signal to turn them on.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, G-Body is like the Shell answer man, and thanks again for that!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Gbody nailed it,old hose bursted,I need to figuer out why the fuel gauge is pegged I have a hunch I need to ground one of the old ground wires under the hood.

The fuel relay wire does come on for 2 seconds and goes off.I need to figure out which wire to tie to on this OE relay,I had read the grean wire but that didnt do it.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Powering stuff up with grounds disconnected is a good way to fry a lot of electronics, like the RWAL module (been there, done that).
Old 08-28-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

x2.......
Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don`t have wiring diagrams for the 92, and I don`t think I have even looked under the hood of a 92 so I can`t help with wire colors....but based on the diagram that is on the relay in the pic you sent me.

Terminals D and F effectively these are the same, one needs to be grounded and the other needs to be hooked to the fuel pump output signal from the PCM (red connector pin 9 dk grn/wht wire). If you hook a volt meter between these two it should read 12V for 2 seconds when you turn the IGN on.

Terminal E should be connected to battery constant 12V.

Terminal C should be connected to the + side of the fuel pump.

If all that checks out I would say that the relay is bad.
Attached Thumbnails Need Help-picture_046.jpg  
Old 08-29-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Gman shes running tip top the green wire WAS the ticket,just didnt have a good connection,now my oly issue is it seems Jess didnt turn the fans on,fan 1 gives 12V,thats not right,I wires fan 2 and it never grounds out.