LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Putting the converter in the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting the converter in the tranny?

Whats with the 3 clicks I hear about? I have the tranny out and have put the new stall in and I got it just past the bellhousing so its actually a little farther than flush. I keep the tranny stationary and push and turn but I hear no clicks?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Hrmm maybe this should have went into the Auto tranny section.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

It's not really hard. Just look on the shaft of the tranny up close to the pump. You'll see the two "keys" or "tabls." Just line the notches on the converter up with those so they fit together. Give it a firm push and a slight turn and you'll be able to feel when it's locked in. Oh, since a stall is usually smaller than a stock converter, you might need to add an extra flat washer on the converter bolts. You want to make sure you take up all the space between the flexplate and the converter bolt holes.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dhdenney
It's not really hard. Just look on the shaft of the tranny up close to the pump. You'll see the two "keys" or "tabls." Just line the notches on the converter up with those so they fit together. Give it a firm push and a slight turn and you'll be able to feel when it's locked in. Oh, since a stall is usually smaller than a stock converter, you might need to add an extra flat washer on the converter bolts. You want to make sure you take up all the space between the flexplate and the converter bolt holes.
So no 3 clicks nonsense? BTW I have the 3400/2.45 Edge verter now
Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm not sure what the STR is on mine but probably the same. I like it, good converter. I do not know where you'd get 3 clicks out of it. Maybe one big click.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You may or may not hear 3 clicks. The reason people say 3 clicks is because when you stick it on, you have to engage the input shaft, then turn it and push and it will engage the stator shaft, and then turn it and push and it will engage the pump drive. So you may hear 3 clicks and you may not. But when it is fully engaged, you should not be able to get your had in between the convertor and tranny. It should be about a 1/2" back behind the face of the tranny case.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smoknta
You may or may not hear 3 clicks. The reason people say 3 clicks is because when you stick it on, you have to engage the input shaft, then turn it and push and it will engage the stator shaft, and then turn it and push and it will engage the pump drive. So you may hear 3 clicks and you may not. But when it is fully engaged, you should not be able to get your had in between the convertor and tranny. It should be about a 1/2" back behind the face of the tranny case.
Thanks.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it is called indexing the converter, and you probably wont hear three clicks but you should feel it... like stated above, when its all the way in, you cannot get your hand between the case and converter
Old 09-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Heres a question for ya...... I put my engine and trans back together and everythings stock so keep that in mind. When I slid the converter in I rotated it back and forth so I could "engage" it. Then when I bolted the trans to the engine there was a gap between the flywheel and converter. Everyone said that was normal. Just slide the converter up to the flywheel and bolt away. Now my question IS, what the hell difference does it make to engage the converter if your just going to pull it out anyhow??? What am I missing here???
Old 09-03-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to engage the converter first, to make sure the converter engages the pump splines. There should be minimal gap, I think mine had maybe a 1/16th of an inch. If it comes out to far, you will disengage the pump splines and will have no fluid flow and risk shearing the pump splines right off. If you put the converter on the flexplate first, then put the tranny on, you will most definetly shear off and damage the pump splines.

How much gap did you have? You should have a small amount, but not a lot.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

IIRC there shouldn't be more than 3/16" of a gap.But you also want to ensure the front of the converter is engaged into the pilot hole of the crank.

Quick Reply: Putting the converter in the tranny?