Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing I-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing I-pipe

I finished the install of my headers and y-pipe but I've hit a snag. I cant get the y-pipe to slid on to the I-pipe. I decided I'd try and pull the i-pipe because it would make lining everything up easier. the problem is I cant get it to seperate from the muffler. I removed the clamp but the pipe is crushed down pretty good. I've tried rocking the whole pipe, twisting it to break the tension and even hammered a screw driver around the joint. Nothing is loosening it up. Does any one have a suggestion to help remove it? Would spraying wd-40 in there help? I thought about cutting it but Im afraid if I do I wont be able to get the slip joint back together.

thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Tough Mudder

I've ran into that on a car before. Someone had cranked the U-clamp down so far that the metal was crimped. I used a 3" cutting wheel and cut slits in the outer pipe allowing it to spread open a little. Remember to grunt a lot and make mean faces, seemed to help a lot.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hilton
I've ran into that on a car before. Someone had cranked the U-clamp down so far that the metal was crimped. I used a 3" cutting wheel and cut slits in the outer pipe allowing it to spread open a little. Remember to grunt a lot and make mean faces, seemed to help a lot.

I'll try that.

I've been grunting at it for some time now. And even used some bad words. Maybe it'll help
Old 09-03-2007, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

ANother trick is a torch... Heat it up right at the crimp good and hot. I mean RED. Should be able to pull them apart that way... Used to do exhaust and that was our trick.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Lightbulb Remove some rear hangers

i removed the right side rear soild mount that slips into a black bushing,
i believe its one 13mm nut, remove it temp..., & reinstalled after completed
(this allows you to move the rear section more) (be carefull not to rip the other rubber exhaust hangers.)
i found it to be easier to install the y-pipe into the "I" pipe then take a long prybar and put it between the "y" and the tip of the prybar put it on the
"u" joint of the drive shaft and pry backwards and install the y-pipe to the header collectors.
then adjust y-pipe as necesseary and then i used band clamps to hold it in place, i still havn't loaded my pics to the computer yet.
hope this helps!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camcamaro1991
i removed the right side rear soild mount that slips into a black bushing,
i believe its one 13mm nut, remove it temp..., & reinstalled after completed
(this allows you to move the rear section more) (be carefull not to rip the other rubber exhaust hangers.)
i found it to be easier to install the y-pipe into the "I" pipe then take a long prybar and put it between the "y" and the tip of the prybar put it on the
"u" joint of the drive shaft and pry backwards and install the y-pipe to the header collectors.
then adjust y-pipe as necesseary and then i used band clamps to hold it in place, i still havn't loaded my pics to the computer yet.
hope this helps!!!

I would try that but I want to be able to remove the i-pipe later on to install a cutout. But I guess so I can atleast drive it wihtout pissing off the neighbors I could do that. Thanks
Old 09-03-2007, 05:41 PM

I had to cut 1 or 2" off mine to get the y-pipe on. I have also had to do it to other cars I did headers on.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I had to cut 1 or 2" off mine to get the y-pipe on. I have also had to do it to other cars I did headers on.
yeah I think I might have to do that too but where everything is right noiw I can see I'd have to cut like 2 inches off to get it together, but it would only leave me 1/2-3/4 inch for the slip fit.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

take all the moutns off the catback, so you can move it all the way back. let the reaend hang to to get the hump, way back. thats helps alot.