Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod bolts, stretch or tourque?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rod bolts, stretch or tourque?

I have ARP rod bolts, the chrome 12 point ones. Is it better to torque them or measure for stretch? I have seen credible sources say both are acceptable. Not sure which I should go with.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Both are acceptable. Everything I've read on the subject, says that measuring bolt stretch is the most consistently accurate way to tighten a fastener. Tests have been done that measured the bolt stretch on HUNDREDS of bolts, AFTER they were torqued to the same reading using a certified torque wrench. The bolt stretch readings were all over the road. Where practical, it's really the only way to go. If there is no practical way to measure bolt stretch (headers, heads, etc.), use studs, instead.

I wouldn't think it would be disasterous to use a GOOD torque wrench while building your typical street engine. If you're building an engine to insane power levels, or are building Nextel Cup engines, or engines for the Indy 500, you might want to think about buying a bolt stretch gauge.

Measuring bolt stretch tells the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Word...Rod bolts are the most critical fastener in an engine...I would highly recommend measuring the bolt stretch as it is a much more accurate method.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

While bolt stretch is the best and most recommended method, I worked in a machine shop and built motors for over 10 years and have never done it that way. I have also reconditioned thousands of sets of rods, most with stock bolts (we were a production shop for the most part) but over a 100 sets with aftermarket bolts and even a couple sets of Carrillos And all were done using a torque wrench. That said, If i had a stretch gauge i would use it, but for now I'll just use my wrench.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

I used a torque wrench for head bolts 5 years ago ...everything OK now.

Don't worry too much about wrenches..... this was state of the art for decades... and it works fine...
Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Launching!

All good to know. I'm looking to probably make HP somewhere in the 700 to 750 range. I'm guessing I would be ok with the torque method. At the rate I am going, I may have all winter to consider what to do.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:55 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

A rod bolt stretch gauge is only like $100 from Jegs. Buy it, use it, and sleep better knowing that you did it right.

Both methods are acceptable, but like you asked, measuring stretch is better. It's like measuring bearing clearances, you can use plastiguage, but using micrometers and dial bore guages are better and more accurate. It's up to you, whatever you're comfortable with.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CoopDog
I have ARP rod bolts, the chrome 12 point ones. Is it better to torque them or measure for stretch? I have seen credible sources say both are acceptable. Not sure which I should go with.
My experience suggests that what ever works for the installer is correct, however consider, the clearance on the bearings is also a factor when tightening bolts, changing the rod/main bearing bolts will also impact the clearances and this is overlooked because most people don't have the competence to maintain the correct clearance after changing the bolts. I know shops that don't use a line hone and the results you can hear for yourself.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about already used rod bolts out of aftermarket rods? I'm guessing they've already stretched some.