Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Know How To Install A Monster Tach Without Using The White Wire From The Pcm??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone Know How To Install A Monster Tach Without Using The White Wire From The Pcm??

I have a 98 trans am and my tach on my cluster went out but everything else on the cluster works. so we thought it was a short in the white wire from the pcm to the cluster but i took it to a reputable wiring shop and they tracked the wire down and its perfect . it just seems like the pcm is not sending the signal through that wire. but when you connect the scanmaster to the car it reads the rpms but for some reason the tach dont recongnize it. so i bought a monster tach and tried to connect it and it dont work either because the wire is not sending the signal. so what im wondering is if there is another way to connect the monter tach like to a coil or other wire so i can at least be able to read my rpms screw the tach on the cluster. so please help guys . post up your thoughts .
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

I don't know of any other way to tap into the tach signal other than the tach signal wire. It's a digital signal, so it's accurate. You need to find the problem and correct it for a tach to work.

I don't see why it would just stop working like that. Maybe you have a problem with the needles in the PCM harness/plug.

Try resetting the PCM as well.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

i tried re setting the computer and cleaning it and checking the pins everything looks ok but the tach still dont work at all. i think it may have shorted out but i dont know . so i wanna try and hook up the monster tach some other way. anyone know how ??
Old 09-07-2007, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

anyone help ?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a few options, not that I would do.

1) use something like the MSD Magnet Crank Trigger to pickup the Engines RPM.

2) VDO and maybe other manufactors.. can get engine RPM off of the Alternator using a Alternator AC Tap (got me what that is ?).
Old 09-07-2007, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

anyone else help me
Old 09-08-2007, 07:54 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get a shift light and stick it in the A pillar or vent. That will save you the trouble of replacing a window when so douche steals your dash tach.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am pretty sure there is a difference with the 98 cars pcm, if i remember correctly there is a write up somewhere on which wire you need to connect to, check install university
Old 09-08-2007, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

i am connecting to the right wire the white wire #35 on the blue pcm and the wire is in perfect condition and the computer connections look good . i am starting to think its the cam sensor that is bad. if that was the case would that cause the white wire for the tach not to have any signal what so ever. please help im going crazy
Old 09-08-2007, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

my cam sensor went bad and the tach worked fine....the white wire is for 99 up cars its different on ours not sure witch one but ill check into it.....oh and i thought when doin an aftermarket tach it had to be sent to autometer so they can srt it up to read the digital signal...may be off on that