Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifter tool for cam install. helpppppp

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifter tool for cam install. helpppppp

ok guys doin a cam install. i see you can use 16 pen magnets. went and priced those out at 8$ a piece. 8x16-a big f that
what else can i do?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:27 AM
12 Second Club

BTW id like to not have to spend money. because i'll prolly never do this install again
Old 09-07-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Heres a link to when i installed my MS3:
My MS3 Install
I believe in the middle of my first post you see a description of some steel rods i got from home depot and cut down to hold the lifters up. But read carefully my post, one of the lifters still almost fell but was held up enough that i used a pen magnet to pull it back up as i was installing the cam. Hope this helps.
-Joel
Old 09-07-2007, 02:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

the pen magnets are a waste of time and money. go buy either 5/16 or 7/16 wooden dowel rods at the hardware store. You can take a dremel tool and barely smooth out one side or try to push them in that way. You can do the same thing with metal rods also. I have found that the wooden rods slide in great, escpecially if you lube them with bearin grease. They also hold up the lifters just fine. I don't really like using the metal ones because they tend to get tight and bend slightly. Doesn't quite feel right to me. So there you have it. for under 3 bucks you can get the wooden dowel rods. If you don't have a dremel tool then get a cheap one from Walmart and enjoy. I hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Problem with the wooden ones is the possibility of wooden shavings falling into your motor. Or the worst case is the wooden dowel breaking in the motor, you will want to die after. I used the steel ones and didn't have to smooth out either of them, but every car is different. Just remember the dowels aren't perfect, but they are the safest thing to do other than taking off the heads. Post up if you got any questions during the install. Good Luck, and take your time.
-Joel
Old 09-07-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I hear you on the shavings. I have done 7 cam installs. Some on my car and others on friends. Used the metal dowels once and didn't like the tight fit. The wooden ones were much better in my opinion. Even if a tiny shaving happened to peel off it will be small enough and weak enough to burn up or just shoot out the exhaust. Never had the problem because the dowels are already sanded smooth. Just remember that the holes you use dowels on are flat inside the motor towards the upper left or right depending on which side you are doing. The rest is circled. All methods are ok and everyone has their own preference so I won't knock any of them really. I tried the pend magnet option and it was a pain in the *** for me and a waste of money. But it is your car and you have to decide what works best for you. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

I used steel rods also that I rounded the one end of but they were tight I would probably try wooden ones next time
Old 09-07-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah the pen magnet one is pretty crazy since your going to spend a good amount of money on 16 magnets. If i do decide to change my cam in the future im going to do it when im installing upgraded heads.
-Joel
Old 09-07-2007, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

go to wal mart craft dept and get 2 5/16 wooden dowel rods...cut them about a foot longer than the cam...make a flatspot on the end you insert into engine...be sure to lube them up before hand though....cost me 2 bucks and worked like a champ.....
Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the metal rod here for hen I do mine, gonna cut it in half for each bank, I hope it works ok cuz I got this cuz everyone was saying don't use wood cuz of splinters and now everyone is sayin wood is easier lol
Old 09-07-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Well the wood is cheaper and easier to cut and to file down a side. You can't go wrong with either one, but im biased to the steel dowels since thats what i used.
-Joel
Old 09-07-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rent everything you'll ever need for doing a cam swap from 99BlancoSS. I did and he was fast and great to deal with!

Check out the link below. Price and deposit are higher now though because he also includes a new balncer install tool, which was awesome.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=JPR+tool
Old 09-07-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ice Knight
I got the metal rod here for hen I do mine, gonna cut it in half for each bank, I hope it works ok cuz I got this cuz everyone was saying don't use wood cuz of splinters and now everyone is sayin wood is easier lol

Search this, there was a guy just a couple weeks ago that had part of the wood dowel break off in the block...eek
Old 09-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
Search this, there was a guy just a couple weeks ago that had part of the wood dowel break off in the block...eek

Ya I saw that thread and it was a mess, but I can imagine it's a slim chance that happens, you gotta really force it I would think or have a bastard dowel rod for that lol

But i'm not arguing I have what I will use, all you gotta do is get 'em slid in and yank the cam out lol. Just mostly worried bout how i'm hearing the hole isn't perfectly round and they need a taper.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah i saw that thread as well, i wonder how it happened though. I was thinking it got stuck, and maybe him trying to force it out it snapped. Thats another reason to look out for wooden ones, but then again its the first i have heard of it.
-Joel
Old 09-07-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ice Knight
Ya I saw that thread and it was a mess, but I can imagine it's a slim chance that happens, you gotta really force it I would think or have a bastard dowel rod for that lol

But i'm not arguing I have what I will use, all you gotta do is get 'em slid in and yank the cam out lol. Just mostly worried bout how i'm hearing the hole isn't perfectly round and they need a taper.

That's why the JPRs are so nice, they only go in one way, the right way.

$40 from 99BlancoSS get you the JPRs, Crane Dual spring tool, Balancer install tool, pushrod length checker, and the air fitting to go in the spark plug holes to hold the valves up. He gives you as long as you need for the tools, great setup.