General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Optima Battery - NG!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Optima Battery - NG!!!

Hi Folks
I am not sure if this the right forum but I need to let you folks in on a problem with Optima battery. I have the red top Optima battery in my 02 SS - the car has only 7200 miles on it and the battery is keep alive by a Battery tender and some driving. The battery is about 1 1/2 year old and I found it leaking acid out of the postive lead on the side. Caused damage to body, paint gone and is it rusted caused by the battery leaking. I could not believe my eyes. I have other cars with Sears batteries and battery tender - Never had a problem. If you have the red top keep a eye on the side posts - they could be leaking. Going back to Sears!
thanks
Bill
Old 09-08-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First time I've heard of an Optima leaking from the positive post - thought only the Delco's were known for that. Got one in my car, I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

My optima seems to lose its charge rather quickly but besides that no problems, Ill keep my eye out tho thanks.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
First time I've heard of an Optima leaking from the positive post - thought only the Delco's were known for that. Got one in my car, I'll keep an eye on it.
I have a Delco (probably original from 98 like half the other things on this car lol) and the posts look good. But now that I'm aware of this I'll just keep an eye on it. Odds are though I'll need to replace it soon since it appears to be stock, and 9 years is a long time for a battery. Probably this winter it'll quit from the cold
Old 09-08-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend of mine had his Delco leak all over the place from the terminal under original warranty - dealer cleaned it all up and gave him a new one (after some hassle). Anyway, two years later the replacement did the same thing. Mine never leaked, just dropped dead one day. Other people have had no problems.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My AC Delco puked its guts out down the engine compartment as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
I could understand a battery with acid (liquid) would or could leak but I was under the impression that the Optima were a dry cell battery. Did I miss something?
Thanks
Bill
Old 09-10-2007, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Hi Folks
I could understand a battery with acid (liquid) would or could leak but I was under the impression that the Optima were a dry cell battery. Did I miss something?
Thanks
Bill
Old 09-10-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dry cells still have chemicals in them in a paste like form. Ever have a AA battery leak on you? Those are dry cells as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree about the paste but wet cell out gas pushing acid out the side posts - I did not think that the Dry cells out gases that much. It implied that the paste turned into some form of a liquid and run down the side the battery. Your A AA AAA have a problem with they are old and leak - this battery is not old and it is being operated under normal conditions.
thanks
Bill
Old 09-10-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Doesn't take an old AA to leak, sometimes they are just faulty and leak whenever they so choose, I've had one be leaky brand new inside the packaging.

All I'm saying is dry cells can still go bad and leak crap out of them
Old 09-11-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Doesn't take an old AA to leak, sometimes they are just faulty and leak whenever they so choose, I've had one be leaky brand new inside the packaging.

All I'm saying is dry cells can still go bad and leak crap out of them
Hi SparkyJJO,
I don't disagree with you about dry cells but I never seen a battery under 2 years go bad, more like 3 or more for dry cells - just my experince. The Optima battery is advertised as tough battery so I would not expect it to go bad after a year. Something has to be going south on the battery or maybe a bad design - don't know. However I did learn about Delco batteries going bad, did not know that. I have 4 Camaros, the oldest 1987 Z-28 - never had a battery problem like this before.
thanks
Bill