Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using the PPC or QTP headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone using the PPC or QTP headers?

I've been comparing the 1 3/4" PPC's vs. the QTP headers to the FLP's. How do they fit, install, ect...I'm assuming that all the long tube headers make approximately the same horse power and torque.

I did notice that the QTP headers are 304SS and not ceramic coated. Do the QTP's have under hood heat issues because they are not coated?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2003, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Anyone using the PPC or QTP headers?

Why aren't you also comparing Kooks?
Old 05-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

If you really want to spend the big bucks on headers, go with Kooks. THey are almost identical to QTP and PPC and are stainless steel.

If you don't want to spend such a large amount of money on headers that will net just a few more HP than the "el cheapo" headers, go to ebay.com and get yourself a set of PaceSetter long tubes with coating. 380 Shipped.

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-30-2003, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

My car is a daily driver. It sees sun, rain, snow and salt. I don't want el-cheapo headers and the problems associated with them.

Kooks? OK...I'd consider a set of Kooks as well if they are comparable in quality. All the emissions hook ups must be there, a good fitting y-pipe with cats (no banging or clearance issues) and ceramic coated is strongly preferred for heat issues.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Kooks are now regarded as arguable the best LS1 headers available. You can get them in either stainless or ceramic coated. They are built to however you want when it comes to emissions. Their cat uses RT metallic cats which are far superior to any other cat when it comes to flow numbers and it is more then $200 less then comparable Y pipes.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think KOOKS is the best
Old 05-31-2003, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered a set of Kooks yesterday. They are 1 7/8 all the way thru and are ceramic coated. I also got the 3" Y with no cats. Total was a Grand! U cant beat that. I was going to use QTP, but with the wait and the price difference, I had an easy decision.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

The QTP's aren't coated which I'm not comfertable with. As with the Kooks, I called them up & they couldn't answer if their y-pipe would fit with KBDD's which was odd, so I had to ask around & found it won't. So it was an easy decision, I went with PPC. Gordon e-mailed me & called me right back & was able to answer all my questions. You should look into them.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Kook's suck compared to QTP and they cost more. Buy the QTP headers and send them to Jet Hot with the money you saved. Also, QTP has the best y-pipe the use the flow master Y collector. Check out there web site. The only problem is they are on back order. It could take several months to get them. Hookers are half as much as KOOKs and are similar in performance.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:20 PM

Kooks sucks?!?! You have alot to learn!!! Go with the QTPs and when you get them in 3 months, you can tell us how they work. Have you checked the prices on the QTPs lately? $700, not the $650 or whatever it was a while ago. From what I have read you can have the Kooks to you no later than 3 weeks and they perform awesome!!!
Old 05-31-2003, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kook's suck compared to QTP and they cost more. Buy the QTP headers and send them to Jet Hot with the money you saved.
Are u Mad? Did u miss the part where I said that I paid $1000 Shipped for Kooks 1 7/8 COATED LT headers and a 3" Y. As for the rest of your statement that thier Y sux, Maybe it does? I plan on running it then maybe switching over to true duals. Kooks are WAY less exspensive then QTP. I have all the faith in them, but the wait and PRICE were too much. I have the QTP cutout and love it.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

I assume you have seen both Kooks and QTPs in person and compared them in order to make that statement!
Old 05-31-2003, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

My last comment was in reply to the person who said "Kooks suck".
Old 06-01-2003, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Can some of you guys who got the Kooks tell me if it is better to get the weld on collector or the slip on? Also what is the difference? I would guess the slip on you can put together by yourself and the weld on has to be welded by a shop somewhere? If someone could tell me for sure I would be very happy cause I was thinking of getting some Kooks as well.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am pretty sure the weld on collector prevents leaks from happening. Maybe with the old school SBC it wouldnt matter, but with the PCM in todays cars it would throw fits. I got the weld on collector for my car.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Get the weld on. They come welded on so you don't need to do anything. I was told the slip on are for those guys who want to go that track and run open headers.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bear. Are they coated inside and out? At $1K shipped I guess they are not the stainless??
Old 06-01-2003, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the input guys, welded it will be, I wonder if its worth it to get the stainless and the coating?
Old 06-01-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

They come Stainless by default. If u add the coating it goes over the stainless. I have NO IDEA if it is on both the inside and outside. I never asked I figured it was all the same to me. Kooks is a good shop, with a good product.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

wow thats cool that they come stainless, I saw a couple of previous posts that stated you had to pay for the stainless option, also Bear where did you order them from? Kooks directly? You got a really good deal.

Quick Reply: Anyone using the PPC or QTP headers?