LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lowering just the front?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering just the front?

I've seen a couple of cars with just the front lowered and i really like that look. But would i run into problems having the front lower than the back? If you look at most drag cars out there with skinnies up front and slicks in the back there car is really really lowered upfront. Obviously there ok running the car like that.

I was thinking of lowering the front 1-1.5 inches and leaving the back stock. Or unless i could get a set of coils for the back that are under an inch.

Does anyone think i'll run into problems? It's just a weekend car and i do plan on doing the shocks along with anything else that would be wise to replace.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends how much.. i got 1.5" bmr lowerings with the rear isolators in the back and the rear sits up about half a inch may be a inch more looks mean
Old 09-11-2007, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

if you only drop the front 1-1.5" you won thave any problems. the reason drag cars are like that is twofold. 1, less wind resistance under the car with front lower. and 2, the rear springs need to maintain the qrtr panels away from the tires. so no room back there to give up in most cases. unless you get the perfect spring pressures at the right ride height, and the perfect shocks to keep the rear from further squating on launch. which is also part of the rear suspsensions job.
anyways, my front is lowered about 1.5" and rear is stock.
so is my dads TA that I built for him. just for the reasons I mentioned. and the look too I guess.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

you won't run into any driveability problems except maybe ground clearance issues. It may even handle better with stiffer springs up front. The rear suspension is not soft enough to have excessive sway, so you can leave it as is, if you like.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

I have a ground control coil over kit and it allows me to do what you want. At the moment I have the rear 1/2" higher than the front, but before I put the car in storage I am going to raise the front another 1/4" and the rear another 1/2" so then the back will be 3/4" higher which I think will be perfect.

This is what the car looks like with the rear being 1/2" higher

Last edited by YoungGunLs1; 09-11-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

very cool, thanks guys. Those were the answers i was looking for. I was thinking of getting the eibach pro 1.5s or sprint 1.5s for the front but i'll have to make sure that i even have that clearance with the LTs. Also i don't want it looking goofy. Well 1-1.5 inch drop in the front should look good.

Thanks again guys! And younggun thanks for visual, nice car btw.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

I have EIBACH FRONTS/BILSTEIN......STOCK REAR WS6 SPRINGS/EIBACH...front is almost 2" lower...get an alignment..no problem.....had the eibach's in the rear at first...but they SAGGED and were shitty...Fronts are great.....was thinking of getting spring helpers from local shop,and putting back the EIBACH's in rear...but really there is not much sense,it will only be stiffer... BTW--it handles great..[but i have all aftermarket stuff]
Old 09-11-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
I have EIBACH FRONTS/BILSTEIN......STOCK REAR WS6 SPRINGS/EIBACH...front is almost 2" lower...get an alignment..no problem.....had the eibach's in the rear at first...but they SAGGED and were shitty...Fronts are great.....was thinking of getting spring helpers from local shop,and putting back the EIBACH's in rear...but really there is not much sense,it will only be stiffer... BTW--it handles great..[but i have all aftermarket stuff]
would you happen to have any pics? I'd love to see a 2 inch drop of the front only for a reference. I was worried the car wouldn't look right with more than a inch dropped but a picture could definitely set me straight.

Right now i have c5 z06 wheels on the car 17's up front, 18s in the rear. I like having that staggered look and now i'm convinced that dropping the front will looking even better.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

I would also like to see a picture, I think 1" lower in the front than the rear would be the max you could go before it looked goofy, but I may be wrong..I would love to see how it looks.

Quick Reply: lowering just the front?