Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Dead Battery!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Dead Battery!!

I don't know whats causing it but my battery is always dead in my TA! There is a new battery in there....and it's not my alternator. Other then exhaust and line lock, my car is stock. It even have the stock radio. Line lock fuse is out, I thought that was it...but its not. I charged it on Friday...drove it for awhile....drove it for awhile on Sat... and went to start it Wed morning...and it wouldnt even crank. Anyone have any suggestions? It's driving me nuts!! I charged it yesterday and drove it for awhile...even managed to take it to school...I am going to try and start it in the AM to see what happens.
There is 100% NOTHING left on (interior lights, nothing in cig lighters). I don't even set the alarm on it. I am very open for suggestions on what it might be.
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since it's new bring it back to where you bought it and have it load tested. If nothing else it'll eliminate it as the problem, and free.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same problem when i left overseas and came back 3 weeks later. i would drive it a little and then let it sit for a day and when i came back the next day it was dead. but i have a big stereo and an alarm. u dont have that. i would check the alarm.
my car finally stopped dying after i drove it for a 30 mile distance. and then i would drive it daily after that for a short distance. like stated above, take back and see what they say.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say it wouldn't even crank, how dead are we talking about? Did it try to turn over, or just click? Or nothing at all, are you getting accessories coming on, lights, any sign of power? Well, you just put a new battery in, so was this a problem with the other batt, an on going problem, or did this just start after the batt swap?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check your ground wire to your battery. I have a 94 GMC P/U that used to do that all the time and it turned out to be a bad ground.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
You say it wouldn't even crank, how dead are we talking about? Did it try to turn over, or just click? Or nothing at all, are you getting accessories coming on, lights, any sign of power? Well, you just put a new battery in, so was this a problem with the other batt, an on going problem, or did this just start after the batt swap?

I actually bought the car in March with a new battery in it. I had a long wait for the title (march-may) so it sat for awhile....and even then the battery died. I just figured bc it was sitting for so long. Now I drive it 1-3 times a week and every time I get in it...its dead. it was so dead on wed that the interior lights wouldnt go on and it wouldnt even crank. it was just all out dead. I chraged it for about 5 mins and it was good to go. Maybe Ill go out and purchase another battery.....
Old 09-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Just ran down to see if she would start....she started....I guess she's on a 2 day charge limit......So 3rd day she's dead w/o a start....
Old 09-14-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Well I was drivin at what zuuls pointed out, you're batt shouldn't go from absolute dead to charged and crankable in 5 min's charge. It's 90% a faulty ground been there before, take out the terminal, inspect it and put it back in at night with the door open you should easily be able to tell when it's got a connect.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like your car has an electrical draw somewhere like mine had. Heres the thread on mine and how i fixed mine. It might have some tips to help you find the draw. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/749931-battery-problems.html
Old 09-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone.....went to start it today...DEAD.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

any auto parts store can check your batt for free, give it a shot or replace it before you dive too far into it
Old 09-15-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the car has a parasitic drain somewhere. my car had one and i traced it by letting turning the ignition off, and having a digital multimeter run in series with the negative battery cable set for amps. It had like .15amp draw or maybe it was .5amp i dont remember it was a while ago...but anyway i started unplugging problematic connecters like blower motor, power seats, dome lights, glove box light etc. I finally found that if i disconnected the Amp in the right rear spare tire wheel the car wouldnt die any more. Replaced the amp with a new one and it still did it. Started ding some testing with a short finder and found that one of the power feeds to the amp had a short in it! voila.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

New batteries can be defective too. A 5 min charge will not recharge your battery. It might start the car but it isn't fully charged. Charge it then Take it to a place that sells batteries and they will check it, no cost. If the battery checks out OK, start looking for loose/corroded connections. These cars have a continuous parasitic charge due to the computer, radio Etc. but the battery should last a few weeks without charging. Faulty insulation in any wire that's hot with the ignition off could be the problem. Good luck.