11 Second Club Snake eyes are a good thing

Allngn_c5 just missed it........

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allngn_c5 just missed it........

I'll cut to the chase best run was

12.02 @ 123.6 mph with a 2.11 60 time.

I had a lot of runs and a lot of them were in the high 12's even low 13's. I couldn't get out of the hole. I think had I made my runs with more gas in the tank (1/2 or 3/4 VS 1/8 I thought lighter would be better) I'd have done better considering the weight would help the tires bite. Out of 12 runs I only had 3 or 4 clean passes, meaning no missed shifts, and/or smoking the launch. At any rate I learned that I can't drive this car to its potential in the 1/4 mile. I think I will be sticking to high speed runs and roll racing. I have to say thanks to LG Motorsports for getting this car to make a ton of power, just sorry to say I couldn't put it to the ground. On a side note I did pick up 2 mph over my visit in June and shaved nearly 3 tenths off my previous best et. Almost forgot, I hit a best of 96.9 mph in the 1/8 mile. This should show the potential that this car has. I will be back in the spring to try again with more gas in the tank and hopefully it will be in the 60's vs 40's so the track will be warmer and help me hook. Feel free to comment or make suggestions of what I could/should have done. I really need to learn how to launch this car.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your mph is there you just need something besides those nittos. those 60' times are really horrible,especially for a drag radial. some tires and a 1.7x 60' should put you in the mid to low 11.xx range.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You know what, I suck at launching my car also. You going to be there the 18th. Weather looks warmer. And yes the nittos are probably only a small step better than trying to use street tires.

Brian
Old 09-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Those nittos are fine for cutting sub 2.0 60 foots which is what he needs to break into the 11s. Doug, i can honestly say you REALLY need to heat those things up. The second i did that, i noticed a night and day difference in the stickiness of the tire/track/and my ability to get out of the whole.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think 12.0 @ 123mph is what I guess Doug.

That's some nice mph for a N/A setup. Seat time, seat time, seat time.
It's not easy running the numbers with a 6 speed.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by unit213
I think 12.0 @ 123mph is what I guess Doug.

That's some nice mph for a N/A setup. Seat time, seat time, seat time.
It's not easy running the numbers with a 6 speed.

You were dead on with your prediction UNIT. I clearly dropped the ball. LG put together an easy 11 sec car for me and the best I could do is 12.02. I can't fn' get out of the hole. To make matters worse on one of the last runs the car started making some wierd noises in the back, but drives fine. I hope its just something that came loose in the exhaust and not a rear end, trans, or drive shaft issue. Out of around 12 runs I only got about 3 or 4 clean runs. For some reason I get all nervous and **** up the run. I either launch a bit better and miss 2nd, or clean then miss 3rd or the worst, a perfect run then blow the whole thing by missing 4th. On one of my runs that I cut a 2.13 60 she felt perfect, good 1/2 shift, perfect 2/3 shift and oops missed 4th. Coincedentally that was the run I hit my best 1/8 mile 96.9 mph on. Had I hit my 96.9 1/8 (vs 95.2) on the run that I ran my 123.6 1/4 I believe I'd have trapped almost 125. 123.6 + 1.7 mph better 1/8 = 125.2, what do you think?

Maybe I should've had Chris run my car. He can drive his *** off according to Dennis. I'd have been curious to see what he could do with it. One complaint about the track was even when I did hook a bit off the line I would hit the same part of the track at around 5800 rpms in first. I am thinking about hitting 2nd and all of a sudden she completely breaks loose. Must've been some crap in the right lane, it didn't happen when I was on the left. Food for thought, nothing more embarrassing then cutting a 2.5 60 time, accept maybe cutting a 2.5 60 and your opponent cuts a friggin' 1.134 60ft !!! I couldn't believe. It was some old school muscle car with the biggest tires they make I think and he ran 9.xxx at 143.xx Sick car, made mine (as loud as it is) sound like a stock 4 banger.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Doug:

Look at it this way: Get your leave down pat and your chances from a red light or a dig will get better as well.

Personally, I would stay with it and do more track events this year. Try different start techniques and tire pressure settings.

As far as nerves, the more times you stage the car, the more you can develop your routine and make the experience 2nd nature.

There is still a lot of time left to nail down some 11 second ET's.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Chalky. I have to figure out what this strange noise is coming from the car. I hope its something simple.

I tried different air pressures starting at 25 psi and took a pound out each run after doing about 4 practice runs. 21 or 22 seems to be the best. 19 is too low.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
LG put together an easy 11 sec car for me and the best I could do is 12.02.
That's not the right way to look at it. They built you a good N/A setup
that has potential for 125mph traps...and 125mph are good for a
10.99 with great traction and great driving. Finding a way to run
the number is up to you...and it's not an easy thing to do with a
6 speed.

I can't fn' get out of the hole.
You're on a drag radial so you can't count on a good hook each
pass. My suggestion would be to play with tire pressure and rpm
when launching. My approach is to plan for 2 blown launched / passes
in an effort to get a feel for the track and dial in the launch. I start
at a 3,000rpm slip on the first pass to see if the track is biting enough
to hold a clutch dump or a higher rpm launch. I then adjust accordlingly
on the next pass. By the 3rd pass, I normally have a pretty good feel
for things and that's when I get my best short times (in general).
You're just going to have to spend more time at the track getting
used to it. BIG difference in racing at the track then running from a 40 roll.

To make matters worse on one of the last runs the car started making some wierd noises in the back, but drives fine.
Uh oh...that doesn't sound too good. Best of luck to you on that one.
I hope it's nothing.

For some reason I get all nervous and **** up the run.
That will go away with as your experience / confidence increases.
Keep in mind that your car is faster than a hell of a lot of cars at
the track and people are looking on thinking "damn...that car is quick!".
My suggestion would be to go through map out the entire pass in your
head while in the staging lane. Walk through everything...the burnout,
what rpm your going to stage at, how you're going to slip the clutch,
when you're going to go WOT, how you're going to hit 2nd gear, etc, etc,
ect.

...or the worst, a perfect run then blow the whole thing by missing 4th.
In a situation like that, make the best out of it and compare your
330' and 660' times to previous runs and try to find a way to improve.

Coincedentally that was the run I hit my best 1/8 mile 96.9 mph on. Had I hit my 96.9 1/8 (vs 95.2) on the run that I ran my 123.6 1/4 I believe I'd have trapped almost 125. 123.6 + 1.7 mph better 1/8 = 125.2, what do you think?
It really doesn't work that way. Your 1/4 mile trap speed is a calculation
of the time it took you to travel the last 60 feet of the track. At least
that's my understanding of it.

I can tell you how my car works...just add 4 seconds and 30mph
to my 1/8th times (generally speaking). So, a 6.70 @ 100mph in
the 1/8th for me would be a 10.70 @ 130mph. Look at some of your
best slips and figure out what it takes you to run the big half.
That will at least give you an estimate of what you'd have run if
you miss a shift on a pass you thought was going to be good.

Food for thought, nothing more embarrassing then cutting a 2.5 60 time, accept maybe cutting a 2.5 60 and your opponent cuts a friggin' 1.134 60ft !!! I couldn't believe. It was some old school muscle car with the biggest tires they make I think and he ran 9.xxx at 143.xx Sick car, made mine (as loud as it is) sound like a stock 4 banger.
Been there, done that. It's insane isn't it? It's like the guy next to you is
shot out of a cannon. I've cut great 60's before (for my car that is)
and the guy next to me is hanging the wheels to the 330'. That's
racing!

19 is too low.
Why do you say that? 17-18psi is what I'd run.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

This is why I rather roll race than drag race. One thing that drag racing proves is what your car is capable of by displaying the mph. Your mph of 123.6, almost 124, is enough proof that you have an 11 sec car. Now if you can get it there or not is up to you.

I say retire from drag racing and stick to roll racing. I will give you a copy of my 11 sec pass and you can display it as yours. Who will know?..hehe.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

It looks like your new tires didnt help you much over your street tires. Try slipping the clutch from 3k to maximize traction. Ive taken my car to the track twice when i was near stock and on street tires. I did best the first time i went when i had a weak slipping clutch 2.0 60ft. Its really hard to get a good 60ft in these corvettes with a m6!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

I had problems hooking up with the Nittos after my H/C install. I switched to MT street radials (275/40/17). They made all the difference in the world. I ran a new best today of 11.44/121.93 with a 1.61 60 ft time. Best I could run with the Nittos was 11.9xx. Get the MT tires they are the best DRs if you want to hook up.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cassfrc
It looks like your new tires didnt help you much over your street tires. Try slipping the clutch from 3k to maximize traction. Ive taken my car to the track twice when i was near stock and on street tires. I did best the first time i went when i had a weak slipping clutch 2.0 60ft. Its really hard to get a good 60ft in these corvettes with a m6!

I feel they would've had I been running them back in June when the track was warm/hot vs ice cold. They did help a bit, I dropped nearly 2 tenths off my 60. Still sucks, I just need to learn to do a good standing burnout. Can you get a line lock for an m6 car ?? I would benefit from one greatly !!!

Some of my runs were wasted from the start. In the right lane just as I am winding out 1st gear, at around 5800 rpms or so she would break loose and I would have to get out of the throttle. It didn't happen in the left lane. Maybe there was something on the track, who knows, but I did get my best runs on the left.

As far as slipping the clutch from 3K, I did. It didn't help. Anything more then a roll out pretty much blew the tires off. The surface was very cold. Temp was 40 degrees for my first run. I will try again in the spring, or maybe once more this year on a warmer evening session.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Can you get a line lock for an m6 car?
You sure can. With those nittos, you have to really get som heat
into them.

How are you doing your burnout? You really need to do a 2nd gear
burnout until you see white smoke from those tires. Doing it in
2nd gear is important because 1st gear doesn't really generate
enough tire speed to get them heated up properly.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I backed into the water, idled fwd and stopped then revved and popped the clutch. There was plenty of smoke but only for about 2 seconds not the 5 seconds I needed. I was nearly running through the stage lights.

I will look into a line lock. How exactly does it work ?? (locks front brakes and leaves the rears unlocked to spin?)
Old 09-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Administrator

I backed into the water, idled fwd and stopped then revved and popped the clutch. There was plenty of smoke but only for about 2 seconds not the 5 seconds I needed. I was nearly running through the stage lights.
It really needs to be a 2nd gear clutch dump though. Keep that in mind.
I will look into a line lock. How exactly does it work ?? (locks front brakes and leaves the rears unlocked to spin?)
Correct.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

I have always done a stand still burnout in 1st gear. Worked great for me..
Old 09-16-2007, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Even without a line lock you need to do a burnout without the car moving. In other words dump the clutch and hit the brakes. You can do it that way, I used to, just have to be quick so the car doesn't slide sideways. To use a line lock (which I have now). You hit the brakes hard, turn on the line lock, which locks the front brake line and then let off the brakes.

Like unit said a lot of people do a 2nd gear burnout. If you have a 2.73 rear end (you don't) probably wouldn't want to try it

Brian
Old 09-16-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I tried doing a burn out like that, and I just couldn't get it right. So rather then completely embarrass myself at the track by stalling it attempting a burn out I tried to make the best with what I could do. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious to know what your 1/8 mile e.t. was?

Quick Reply: Allngn_c5 just missed it........