Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: GMMG/CUTOUT/STOCK: Which setup to go with (DD car)
Gmmg + DMH electric cutout
11.43%
Stock exhaust + electric cutout
20.00%
GMMG only
68.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Gmmg/stock/cutout

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gmmg/stock/cutout

GMMG cat + DMH electric cutout OR
Stock exhaust + Cutout
GMMG

Base your decision on a DAILY DRIVEN car. Not what'll result to the loudest, badass sound. I'm pretty much closing a deal on a GMMG catback, but i love the idea of the cutout. Don't know which i prefer. I don't want crazy attention, as i'l be driving daily with the car.... any input would be nice. Thanks guys.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ophee
GMMG cat + DMH electric cutout OR
Stock exhaust + Cutout
GMMG

Base your decision on a DAILY DRIVEN car. Not what'll result to the loudest, badass sound. I'm pretty much closing a deal on a GMMG catback, but i love the idea of the cutout. Don't know which i prefer. I don't want crazy attention, as i'l be driving daily with the car.... any input would be nice. Thanks guys.
not sure why you'd consider a cut out as it doesn't sound like you want it too loud, but i can tell you this....if you listen to a GMMG in person, you won't consider another exhaust. i recently got mine hooked up with the ARH headers and ORY and all i can say is "HOLY ****!" if i had a cutout i would never open it because the GMMG sounds so good...
Old 09-16-2007, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

haha, I've been listening to gmmg's exhaust on ls1sounds for months now, and i'm in love. But i thought maybe i'd invest in another 150 dollars, and throw in electric cutout to officially make it badass. I'm pretty sure if i do so, i'll open it once or twice a week when i'm by the raceway parking lot where all these suped up imports park/race/chat.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

I'd say LT's, ORY & GMMG. That's where it's at. If it's too loud you can always add a powerstick in the I-pipe.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If you have a GMMG, you don't need a cutout. Certainly not for sound, and not for power unless you're really pushing the big hp. GMMG. Enough said.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
I'd say LT's, ORY & GMMG. That's where it's at. If it's too loud you can always add a powerstick in the I-pipe.

I heard you shouldn't really mix LT's and GMMG's.. you get some nasty rasp on high rpm. But i was considering, i live in ny though.. don't know too much about emissions and long tube headers.

I wanted the cutout with gmmg's just to let out some crazy sound, every now and then. To scare people off really....
Old 09-17-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

I have GMMG no need for a cutout.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
Old 09-17-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 09-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Teching In

I'm saving for a GMMG right now. I had one on my old Camaro and LOVED it. So I say you just need the GMMG But wait, where's everyone saying you'll lose 50 HP if you don't go with true duals??
Old 09-17-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rsodeputy61
Do not know why anyone wouldn't want a cutout on a DD....GMMG or not.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Do not know why anyone wouldn't want a cutout on a DD....GMMG or not.
Right? I'm not making my judgement on a matter of budget, i've got the 150 to spare. But if i go ahead and get an electric cutout with gmmg's, i'm hoping it doesn't sound too ugly, that's all. That's my only concern. I'll only be opening it maybe 3x a week anyway.... In regards to loss of hp, i can't be possibly losing hp if i go with a cutout... right? That wouldn't make sense.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Right? I'm not making my judgement on a matter of budget, i've got the 150 to spare. But if i go ahead and get an electric cutout with gmmg's, i'm hoping it doesn't sound too ugly, that's all. That's my only concern. I'll only be opening it maybe 3x a week anyway.... In regards to loss of hp, i can't be possibly losing hp if i go with a cutout... right? That wouldn't make sense.
Your c/o will be BEFORE the chambered exhaust..you have no worry as to the effect on the GMMG..probably only 20-25% of your exhaust will get past the c/o.[no loss of hp..most likely a gain..depending on mods as is]
Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

I see... you know what, i'm quite new to this cutout deal. So let me get this straight.. having a cutout AND a gmmg won't make much of a difference (soundwise and/or hp gain-wise) because the cutout will be welded before the chambered exhaust?? I was under the impression that it would yield a louder sound if i installed BOTH. So i guess not?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see... you know what, i'm quite new to this cutout deal. So let me get this straight.. having a cutout AND a gmmg won't make much of a difference (soundwise and/or hp gain-wise) because the cutout will be welded before the chambered exhaust?? I was under the impression that it would yield a louder sound if i installed BOTH. So i guess not?
why do you even want a cutout? you don't even know anything about it....if you had a poorly flowing catback and wanted more performance then a cutout may be necessary, but with a GMMG it really makes no sense. have you ever heard a GMMG in person? they're freakin' awesome and extremely non-restrictive. a cut out sounds like a damn pulpwood truck and would only be practical on a track anyway.....it's also just one more place for a potential leak, etc....
Old 09-18-2007, 12:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GMMG on stock manifolds/cats or LTs/Catted Y pipe is teh sexay. Don't bullet the I-pipe IMO. Catted Y and you are set. Clips of both GMMG setups in sig.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SweeTbone

GMMG on stock manifolds/cats or LTs/Catted Y pipe is teh sexay. Don't bullet the I-pipe IMO. Catted Y and you are set. Clips of both GMMG setups in sig.

+1 on that.. I've heard GMMG with LT's and ORY and it sounded absolutely horrid.. same car with cats a month later and it was wicked sounding.

one thing that bothered me about GMMG is that my buddy thinks they are 2 1/4" cores in the mufflers but they are split in 2 so it would not be much if any restriction.

Last edited by sixvi6-camaro; 09-18-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
+1 on that.. I've heard GMMG with LT's and ORY and it sounded absolutely horrid.. same car with cats a month later and it was wicked sounding.

one thing that bothered me about GMMG is that my buddy thinks they are 2 1/4" cores in the mufflers but they are split in 2 so it would not be much if any restriction.

I don't know if its necessarily all the y-pipe that causes it. I had a little bit of rasp in the 2300-2500 rpm range. I changed headers due to a rust problem went to a set that had HVMC's and the rasp was gone with my ORY.

Back to the issue...GMMG all the way. I like cut outs on quieter exhuasts and Turbo Buicks for the sleeper idea. Wait until you heads/cam with the GMMG...
Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubrburnr
Wait until you heads/cam with the GMMG...
Old 09-18-2007, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

haha, well to some people, that rasp is music to them. I'm not too much of a fan of rasp.