Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

radar detector wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default radar detector wiring

i m looking into hard wiring a radar detector into my DD
can someone point me to a shop that does good wiring work ?
or somebody wanna help ?
i live in lake mary / cfl
Old 09-19-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do it my self and it is really not that hard. Usually what I do is cut the end with the charger on it and split the wire plastic to reveal the usual white and red wires. I connect longer wires to each wire and mark the white wire as the ground. Then I tuck them away and run the wires to the fuse box. The red wire can be pushed into one end of the radio fuse then the white to a ground anywhere that is convienient for you. I had mine done by a stereo shop at first and paid 35 bucks. Then I saw how easy it was and just copied that on all the other cars I have done. They make a add a fuse that allows you to pull off another fuse and not have to just push the wire into the fuse. The wire was just pushed into the fuse when the stereo shop did my original install.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

If u Wire it into ur rearview mirror on a 98-02 f body ull never have to turn it on or off. It will turn on when u open the door, stay on for as long as the car is on and when u turn ur car off and get out the 10min battery saver feature will turn it off. Did it to mine, works great.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:57 AM
Teching In

Won't the radar go off when the lights in the rearview mirror go off while your driving?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bambaboy
won't the radar go off when the lights in the rearview mirror go off while your driving?
x2...
Old 06-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by THE CHOP SHOP
I do it my self and it is really not that hard. Usually what I do is cut the end with the charger on it and split the wire plastic to reveal the usual white and red wires. I connect longer wires to each wire and mark the white wire as the ground. Then I tuck them away and run the wires to the fuse box. The red wire can be pushed into one end of the radio fuse then the white to a ground anywhere that is convienient for you. I had mine done by a stereo shop at first and paid 35 bucks. Then I saw how easy it was and just copied that on all the other cars I have done. They make a add a fuse that allows you to pull off another fuse and not have to just push the wire into the fuse. The wire was just pushed into the fuse when the stereo shop did my original install.
EXACTLY what he said. I grounded mine right into the A-Pillar actually. If you were closer I could help But I'm in Hudson.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Teching In

How did you hook it up?
Old 06-08-2009, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

i grouned mine and put the power to the ign in the fuse panel.

Quick Reply: radar detector wiring