Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 rebuilders- help :).

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 rebuilders- help :).

OK, first off I slid the slider off of the 3-4 synchro and forgot which way the bevel faces- towards the input shaft or towards the main shaft (I have it on in the pic, but it was after I took it off- is it right or do I have to flip it?).

Second- you can see my 3rd gear in the pic with the slider- would you re-use it or replace it? I have a new one here, but I'm not sure if it needs it or not. The tips of the gears do look to be thinner than the new gear though, so it may be a good idea to just swap it. It appears this trans was run low on oil by how the input shaft and cluster shaft looked. Third gear looks "iffy" to me, but not as bad as the others were.

Third and last- the 2nd gear synchro assembly- the friction cone (the inner piece that has the "ears" that are driven by 2nd gear). The ears are almost completely worn/sheared off- I apparently need a new one, but what causes wear like this so I know what to look out for? Is this available separately, or do I need the whole synchro assembly? Thanks in advance.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails t56 rebuilders- help :).-dsc01742small.jpg   t56 rebuilders- help :).-dsc01739small.jpg  
Old 09-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Banned

The third gear is fine but would be better with a little deburring done to it . I always put the line to the rear but I've seen the sleeve installed and work both ways on 3/4 . The 1/2 friction inserts are sold by them self and the ears are what take most of the load when putting it into gear . The fact there is heavy wear on them means you have been driving the hell out of it . Replace the friction insert and inspect the outter steel ring for cracks (should not be able to see day light when pulling on the ring) and also inpsect the squared out notches where the keys ride inside . Make sure they still look square and are not rounded off .
Old 09-20-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks bud! I have a new 3rd hear since I had to replace the cluster too, I didn't want to risk it- but if I can get my $120 back, I can always live with more money lol. As for 2nd gear- I drive it easy on the 1-2 shift, this car is retarded (800/800) and I really baby the snot out of it from 1-2 and 2-3. It has been speed shifted from 3-4 a couple of times, but that gets real scary real fast and isn't done too often lol. Maybe the previous "pre boost" owner was hard on the 1-2 shifts. It is actually an 05 GTO that was owned by Bryan Herter from PCMforless, so I'm sure he drove it accordingly .
JOe
Old 09-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

I'm sure the previous owner babied it ...........
LMAO
Old 09-20-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha, I just emailed Bryan and asked. I told him I could care less if he "beat it like a red-headed step child that owed him money", I'm just curious so I know were to look for problems. I could care less personally how it was treated prior to me owning it- it was his car to do with as he pleased . I know that no matter what he did to it stock, it will never be as hard on it as what I'm going to be lol.
Joe
Old 09-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Launching!

I would look at it this way myself... I already have the tranny out and apart why not put in all the parts I got instead of risking anything. It would suck if ya put it together and a month later a questionable part goes bad. good luck anyways.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mrbowtie26
I would look at it this way myself... I already have the tranny out and apart why not put in all the parts I got instead of risking anything. It would suck if ya put it together and a month later a questionable part goes bad. good luck anyways.
Very good point!
Joe
Old 09-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Banned

I doubt you will any issues but to each their own ......

Good luck on the build .
Old 09-20-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thesource
I doubt you will any issues but to each their own ......

Good luck on the build .
Yeah, I was thinking it would be fine but Amber said if it shows any wear, might as well change it- especially since it is riding against a $700 cluster shaft, so I bought it. I was having second thoughts and was going to just re-use mine, but I apparently have to pull it off to get the 2nd gear friction cone off, so I may as well use it- no?
Joe
Old 09-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Banned

Damn what was wrong with your original cluster shaft ?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

4th gear was worn pretty bad, input shaft teeth were damn near razor sharp, etc.
Joe
Old 09-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Banned

Wow thats unusual for the T56 . How many miles were on it ?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

25k. I don't know if it is due to the 800+ ft-lbs of torque in a ~4000# car or due to being run low on oil- it looks like it was low on oil at one point .
Joe
Old 09-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Banned

Probably a little of all three ........

Quick Reply: t56 rebuilders- help :).