Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

What do you guys think of GTO's

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think of GTO's

I had a 2001 RED SLP SS I had for a year I got it with 68000 and when I traded it had 78000. The engine never gave up on me but the rear end, clutch and drivers side door did. I traded it for a 04 Cobra. It was worth it but I miss that smooth feeling of torque through out the RPM range. However thinking of buying another LS1 or LS2 down the road. Maybe a Goat do they handle, launch good. Do they have a good suspension what is there stock quarter mile time. Any info would be nice. Thank You for your time
Old 09-22-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Great Interior-great Driving....ugly Body. Looks Like A Big Cavalier With A V8
Old 09-22-2007, 03:35 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Moving to Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 Forum (from General LSX Discussion)...
Old 09-22-2007, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

fender wells to small but i love mine...... that is my only real gripe
Old 09-22-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

I own both a 2002 Z28 and a 2006 GTO. After driving a GTO, you don't ever want to go back to a 4th gen f-body interior. Hell, that's why I've only put on less than 5,000 miles on the camaro since I bought my GTO thirteen months ago. I'm only keeping the camaro for sentimental reasons and for drag racing.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Teching In

So I guess there funner to drive than an F-body car? I think there really cool looking even though they look kind of importish. I guess the only real way to find out if I am going to like it is if I take one for a test drive.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fidel trujillo
So I guess there funner to drive than an F-body car? I think there really cool looking even though they look kind of importish. I guess the only real way to find out if I am going to like it is if I take one for a test drive.
If you test drive the gto you WILL buy one, just a heads up warning.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Both cars have plusses and minusses. Based on pure EMPERICAL data, the F-Body will win regardless of whether it's an LS1 or LS2. I had both of mine together for awhile. They were two completely different animals despite sharing most of the same hardware underneath.

The F-Body is like a bull in a china shop. The GTO by comparison is more like a fine, precision, surgical instrument.

The F-Body was the car to have when you're 25, single, and want to tear everyone a new one. It was a comfortable car, once you get in, but it was very "barbaric" in it's execution of things. The GTO by comparison is the car you can better live with from day to day and better suited for us older, slightly wiser, and married individuals who aren't out to "flock our feathers" anymore.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

I had a hard time trying to decide between another f-body or a GTO. I chose the GTO because it was someting I allways wanted, differant, more confortable and more room. I'm satisfied with the handling, my 84 WS6 handled better. But the fit and finish is one of the best from GM. My only grips is I miss having my oil pressure gauge, volt-meter, and the quick ratio stering of the T/A, otherwise I love the car.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57
Both cars have plusses and minusses. Based on pure EMPERICAL data, the F-Body will win regardless of whether it's an LS1 or LS2. I had both of mine together for awhile. They were two completely different animals despite sharing most of the same hardware underneath.

The F-Body is like a bull in a china shop. The GTO by comparison is more like a fine, precision, surgical instrument.

The F-Body was the car to have when you're 25, single, and want to tear everyone a new one. It was a comfortable car, once you get in, but it was very "barbaric" in it's execution of things. The GTO by comparison is the car you can better live with from day to day and better suited for us older, slightly wiser, and married individuals who aren't out to "flock our feathers" anymore.
No way. I love my goat. They are a lot faster then fbodies stock. My friend is on this forum and he has a 95' lt1 formula(6 speed) with custom cold air, ported and polished throttle body, full exhaust, m.a.f., and a short shifter. It hauls but i take em easy in top end and my gto is bone stock. I just can't see how GTO's aren't (suited for older ppl who aren't out to flock their feathers).
Old 09-23-2007, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

I love my GTO. The interior is amazing. I love the seats. I'm not going to babel on about the Pro's but will list some of the Con's:

1. The damn seat motor takes forever. I don't usually have anyone in the back so it's not a real issue.

2. Trunk, what trunk?

3. Tire sizes are extremely limited. Have to cut/roll fenders in order to get most 275's to fit the rear.

4. Wheel hop is a bitch.

5. The suspension is where Pontiac saved money. It just plain sucks. My struts were shot with less than 5k on the car.

6. Stereo system blows. I'm not into ultra highend systems or anything but my 96 corvette's system was 10x better.

7. That freaking drivers side a-pillar should come with a warning! I've cracked my skull several times on that thing. Okay, that's probably driver error there but it's still a PITA!

8. From every mustang forum or owner that I have read or met; No Mustang has ever lost a race to a GTO. It's true, just ask them! lol.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

i love my GTO, i had a 96 TA i bought brand new and by 25K miles it was creaking and rattleing a bit. my GTO feels solid as a rock with no rattles, creaks or groans

it is a heavy pig for sure and wheel hop sucks but a set of cheap drag bags all but eliminates this prob. i hook pretty good with street tires

comfortable ride, great interior, was very quiet with stock exhaust
Old 09-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

5. The suspension is where Pontiac saved money. It just plain sucks. My struts were shot with less than 5k on the car.
them! lol. [/QUOTE]

As far as the struts go. There was a recall for strut failures on the '05-06 models.

Besides that I haven't had any other problems with mine.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Put the aussie badass looking bumper on it, and then it ***** on a 4th gen in looks

And with a badass interior
Old 09-23-2007, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

I love my GTO. I get compliments all the time on the way it looks....

but wheel hop is a pain in the ***.
the trunk is small.
but i still like it.

my buddy has a 2000 Z28 and he has muffler delete and a bigger throttle body and my car is all stock and we stay dead even until top end and i slip away...

but you would like the GTO alot better
Old 09-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by damon_Z
I own both a 2002 Z28 and a 2006 GTO. After driving a GTO, you don't ever want to go back to a 4th gen f-body interior. Hell, that's why I've only put on less than 5,000 miles on the camaro since I bought my GTO thirteen months ago. I'm only keeping the camaro for sentimental reasons and for drag racing.
I keep reading this and to be honest it is garbae. My $400 MRC seats are better leather than what is in the wife's GTO.

Also, it's pretty obvious it is a dated car was well (in Australia) just new to us. If you want a daily driver it is definetly the way to go as it is just a much "softer" car. If you are into performance, definetly not the way to go
Old 09-23-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidel trujillo
I had a 2001 RED SLP SS I had for a year I got it with 68000 and when I traded it had 78000. The engine never gave up on me but the rear end, clutch and drivers side door did. I traded it for a 04 Cobra. It was worth it but I miss that smooth feeling of torque through out the RPM range. However thinking of buying another LS1 or LS2 down the road. Maybe a Goat do they handle, launch good. Do they have a good suspension what is there stock quarter mile time. Any info would be nice. Thank You for your time
smoother torque? My torque curve is like a table top...lol. If you want me to come over there and teach you how to drive your Cobra, I will gladly make the trip...

All kidding aside, I like the interior better than the cobra, the IRS is about the same and you are limited on tires you can put on the back because of the fenders.

If it were me, I'd find a low miles 1LE F-body over a GTO. just my .02

Last edited by Tom's_03SVT; 09-23-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:52 PM
High on diesel fumes

I've been in and driven both, and I have to agree that the GTO is much more refined than an F-body. My experience so far has been that not many people know about the GTO or what it is, but after they take a ride or drive it they fall in love with it. I personally have liked it since they were first introduced here in the US, but the "nail in the coffin" so to speak was when I drove one for the first time.

Find out for yourself. You know what an F-body is like since you had one. Find a GTO on a dealer lot somewhere and drive it, then make up your mind after that.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thunder550
Find a GTO on a dealer lot somewhere and drive it, then make up your mind after that.
That's excellent advice. I did just that back in Oct 2004 and now have over 37K miles on the car. The car has its faults like any other but the positive side far outweigh the negative.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Teching In

I love the GTO. Just wish it came with 3.73 or 3.91 gears from the factory. The 3.46 gears make it feel slow and heavy especially after driving something with 3.55 and 4.10 gears. But other than that I love my goat.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of GTO's