Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Pictures with new painted hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Pictures with new painted hood

Hey guys, after 2 months of fiberglassing, repairing, sanding and prepping of the hood it is finally painted! It still needs to be buffed (it has a lot of orange peel) but I got anxious and decided to throw it on there anyways. It needs a little adjusting too but I wanted to drive it to work and rushed putting it on.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Launching!

I hate you Matt, now i am going to have to buy a hood again.

On a side note.. it looks great!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 on hating matt! Haha! Just kidding! But if you ever deside to get stupid and sell your car, I am the 1st person you need to call!
Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good!
Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

looks good
Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

l00ks grate man
Old 09-28-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love the hood and the blackened out headlights. car looks menacing. Why not extent the Manta stripe down onto the spoiler.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueB4C
Hey guys, after 2 months of fiberglassing, repairing, sanding and prepping of the hood it is finally painted! It still needs to be buffed (it has a lot of orange peel) but I got anxious and decided to throw it on there anyways. It needs a little adjusting too but I wanted to drive it to work and rushed putting it on.
did you paint it yourself, if so where did you get the arctic white paint from?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
love the hood and the blackened out headlights. car looks menacing. Why not extent the Manta stripe down onto the spoiler.

thanks, I usually get trashed for having headlight covers on the car on this forum. I decided to paint on the hood part but am not sure how good the back of the car would look with the rest of the manta because I have a berger panel and tail light covers and am worried it would be too much black on the back of the car, what do you guys think?

Pic of the rear for reference:

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
did you paint it yourself, if so where did you get the arctic white paint from?
My uncle works at a body shop and I had him purchase some Dupont Chromabase Arctic White with Dupont Chromaclear right from the supplier. He also did the actual paint work, I taped off the stripe and did all the prep work, blocking and sanding.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 AM
9 Second Club

Wow, that looks great!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Matt, we need to go get some good pictures of our cars, we both bought new cameras!!! Maybe this weekend, its supposed to be nice a sunny!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks awesome
Old 09-28-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

ummmm. just buffing wont take out the orange peel...your gonna have to wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper LIGHTLY till most of its gone and then buff it but if you would have used a slower hardner for the clear you wouldnt have got the orange peel but we all make mistakes. my first time i wasnt that great either, but you learn as you go. btw the hood looks really nice
Old 09-28-2007, 04:12 PM
FASTEST ALL MOTOR LS1 IN THE COUNTRY

hood looks nice.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97badass
ummmm. just buffing wont take out the orange peel...your gonna have to wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper LIGHTLY till most of its gone and then buff it but if you would have used a slower hardner for the clear you wouldnt have got the orange peel but we all make mistakes. my first time i wasnt that great either, but you learn as you go. btw the hood looks really nice
Yes, i forgot to mention the wet sanding, sort of goes hand in hand with new paint. This paint job was done in a barn though with Dupont clear coat, all we were ever used to using was PPG products before so this was a learning experience for us. My uncle said the same thing about the hardener but it was already done at that point, he wants to sand it back off and re-apply the clear but I don't want to take it back off the car so I will only be wet sanding and buffing, it looks good enough for me haha. I keep telling him it's NOT a show car.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Veteran

wow, looks great, gotta love the stock SS hood.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Hard to tell by these pictures, but it looks like you did a pretty good job to me. Fiberglass can be such a pain in the *** so anyone that has done anykind of work on glass body panels can respect the time you've put into it.

The only thing I would change about your car is the holes on the front bumper. You should have filled them in while you were doing all the body work, but that's just my opinion.

I also think the Manta stripe would look great if you extended it to the back. I think it would complement your berger panel.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28
Hard to tell by these pictures, but it looks like you did a pretty good job to me. Fiberglass can be such a pain in the *** so anyone that has done anykind of work on glass body panels can respect the time you've put into it.

The only thing I would change about your car is the holes on the front bumper. You should have filled them in while you were doing all the body work, but that's just my opinion.

I also think the Manta stripe would look great if you extended it to the back. I think it would complement your berger panel.

Thanks, it took a lot of time (almost 2 months working on and off with it when I had time) It was an interesting first experience with fiberglass. I wish I would have gotten some before pictures because the hood had 2 big slices down the passenger side. As for doing the rest of the body work (filling the holes in the bumper) there are A LOT of problems with the paint on this car. There are pieces of what I think are welding spatter in the rear bumper that are embedded in the plastic, the front bumper has a crack near the fog light, a big dent in the driver side rear quarter that someone tried to fix (looks horrible) and almost every other panel has deep scratches so I have no money left to work on the looks right now. But despite all that I think I will end up putting a grille of some sort in the car, either SLP or a black billet grille.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

holy crap.. rochester and surrounding area people are coming out of the woodwork lol

Car looks good.. and I like the license plate
Old 09-30-2007, 01:17 AM
12 Second Club

Just an FYI guys a new thread here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...95#post7869695

with 15 more pictures of my camaro and 2 others at an airport from 09-29-07

check it out and let me know what you think

Quick Reply: New Pictures with new painted hood