LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rebuildin my t56

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuildin my t56

well ive started rebuilding my t56 due to it being stuck in 4th gear. this is the first t56 ive rebuilt, actually the first manual at all, so bear with me. ive got the back casing (5th, 6th, and reverse gears) out. i think ive already found the reason its stuck in 4th. there are some peices of keys stuck to the magnets so i just need to get the front casing and gears apart. the only other damage ive found so far is the , im gonna call it the slider, has ground against the dog teeth on reverse. from studying it, i think i can just flip the slider around since the opposite side is not being used. what do you guys think? it looks symetrical to me. also, there is a orange sticker on the outside of the casing that says something like "exhange program. do not disassemble. call technician". do they all have that? im just wondering if its been rebuilt before. so far the syncronizers look good but more than likely the guy before me wasnt power shifting 5th and 6th too hard so i guess i will find out about 1-4 soon. im only gonna replace parts as needed i think instead of buying a whole rebuild kit. let me know what you guys think
Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give Six Speeds inc a call for parts, they are great to deal with!

g'luck on the rebuild!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:42 AM
TECH Resident

ok thanks, anybody else have advise?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

comon guys, i wrote all that and nobodys got anything to say?

i got to the rest of the gears tonight. definitly broken keys on 3/4. ended up ordering a whole rebuild kit with all new carbon syncros and keys, along with other things including bearings and seals. im also upgrading to a steel 3/4 shift fork while im in there.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds good! I have heard people say the whole thing "is synchronized" and make a sour looking face. I have never been inside a transmission before but these people act like it's something different??? I thought all modern manuals had synchros and were therefore synchronized. Regardless, tyler14 on here is rebuilding his T56 too. Might PM him for details.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

thanks denney, i will definitly talk to tyler if i get stuck, he seems to know what he is doing. im not sure what you mean about the whole is synchronized thing, but yea its definily got synchros from the factory lol. maybe they mean carbon synchros. i tell you one thing, all the snap rings are a pain
Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

I've rebuilt my T-56 once and will be rebuilding another one over christmas break.

unless someone has taken it off, all of the transmissions have the orange sticker on it.

definitely replace all of the synchros while you're in there. no reason not too and it will make it shift that much better. depending on the mileage on the trans you might want to go ahead and replace the bearings as well.

I have no idea about swapping the slider around like you mentioned. it *should* work fine, but I'd make damn sure its the same on both sides.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

I just had a buddy of mine who is an ASE Master Mechanic rebuild my tranny about 500 miles ago after my brother-in-law blew it up powershifting from 3rd to 2nd. He had me order a rebulid kit from D and D with carbon fiber forks, new 2nd gear and a whole bunch of other parts. Cost me $500+ just for the parts. Smooth as butter now. I"ll have him look at this thread and give you some feedback if you're interested.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by H82GOSLW
I just had a buddy of mine who is an ASE Master Mechanic rebuild my tranny about 500 miles ago after my brother-in-law blew it up powershifting from 3rd to 2nd. He had me order a rebulid kit from D and D with carbon fiber forks, new 2nd gear and a whole bunch of other parts. Cost me $500+ just for the parts. Smooth as butter now. I"ll have him look at this thread and give you some feedback if you're interested.

that would be great man thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

My trann does pretty good for now. I'd like it to have a fresh rebuild though. The only problem it has is that it doesn't like to engage reverse properly. Any of you guys had this problem. I really don't mean to jack the thread, I just thought that since some of you more tranny educated guys were in here you might throw me a bone. Don't ya have to have some special tools to yank apart a t56?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:25 AM
TECH Resident

yea 2 leg and 3 leg gear puller which will probably have to modified to reach down to the lower gears, depending on your puller. a bearing puller is also handy. an assortment of snap ring pliers are a must. then the usual, socket set, screwdrivers, hammer, torx set, etc. a propane torch has came in handy once already. the hardest part is keeping track of where all the peices go, especially since this is my first time

Quick Reply: rebuildin my t56