Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tranny help!!! A4

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Tranny Help!!

Well here's what's up.. I topped my car out at 165+ Friday night and remained at that speed for a little bit. Next thing you know, I see smoke behind my car. I had no immediate idea what it was, and when I slowed down my car was driving like it had a flat tire.

There was ATF fluid all over the place and it soaked my undercarriage. II had my car towed and when I drove it from the curb to the driveway, it felt as though I was driving on a flat tire, as it kinda stutters..

I heard that I may have "boiled" my fluid adn that it might have just come out of the "release valve" or some crap and I might just need to add fluid. Ok well I intend to drop the pan, check for "crap", change the filter, and add fluid and see what happens.

My questions are simple. How do I add fluid after I drop the pan?? Does anyone know what the hell is going on with my tranny??

Any help is much appreciated!!! thanks!!!

Last edited by 6THZ28; 10-08-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

i now determined that the leak is coming from where the ds meets the tranny and it appears that my ds is loose and is slightly out of it's "hole"... what should i do now?

I took pics of all this crap in case someone wants/needs to see what the hell i'm talking about

Last edited by 6THZ28; 10-08-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Can you take a picture of that ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

what's your email? i have a pic of the problem

thanks

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Can you take a picture of that ?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post it here!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

here's the prob:
Attached Thumbnails Need tranny help!!! A4-dsc01294.jpg  
Old 10-08-2007, 09:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It looks like you have a bit of a leaking seal but Unforyunatly the pic dosent not really show much thats helpfull I would proceedwith droping the pan and see whats in there, You may want to remove the drive shaft and tail housing to see whats in there with the bushing

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-08-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

will do. is it possible though that at that speed my ds just came out of the tail housing? it looks like it came out maybe 1/2"..

noob question but how do i remove the ds? i'm sure i can figure it out when i get under there or do a search but whatever you can offer will be helpful. thanks

Originally Posted by performabuilt
It looks like you have a bit of a leaking seal but Unforyunatly the pic dosent not really show much thats helpfull I would proceedwith droping the pan and see whats in there, You may want to remove the drive shaft and tail housing to see whats in there with the bushing

Last edited by 6THZ28; 10-08-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You remove the bolts from the drive shaft at the rear end first and no it could not have come out , Stripped the splines possibly but very rare. I think you may have a major transmission damaged issue.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-08-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

in your professional experience then, what do you think happened given the details?

here are the details again in a nutshell. maxed my car out at 165+, stayed at that speed for a bit, noticed light smoke behind my car, pulled over to find atf fluid has drenched my undercarriage, its now in my garage looking like the ds came out of the tail housing a little bit and the seal is leaking when i just idle the car and put it in gear (to do a cold fluid level check)
Old 10-09-2007, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the only way the fluid can come out to the point where you can actaully hear it, like you stated in p.m.'s yeaterday, is if there is a significant leak. The photo provided in this thread does not provide sufficient evidence of that scenario, However, if the rear talihousing bushing is wiped out it might produce a leak of that size... not likely though.

I recommend having someone start the engine and engage the transmission while you are under the car looking for the exact spot the fluid is coming out of the tranny.

Remove the driveshaft and inspect the yoke. If it is scored severely then the bushing has failed. As I stated in my e-mail last night, and the photo of the large stain in your garage floor confirms my thoguhs... it is likely that your tailhousing is cracked. It should be removed and inspected after the driveshaft has been removed. In one photo the pan is not soaked, that implies the servo is intact and the lines are attached. Focus on the driveshaft and tailhousing... do not run this unit anymore than you need to in order to determine the source of the leak... add fluid before running it again!

I'll be around all day, call if you would like to discuss this!

g
Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

I had my friend engage the tranny last night, and the leak is definitely coming from the tail housing - where the ds enters. I will remove the drive shaft tonight or asap and check for scoring and remove the tail housing and insepct it.

As far as the leak, it makes a short, quiet, "hiss" and comes out...

I can't thank you enough for your help man

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
About the only way the fluid can come out to the point where you can actaully hear it, like you stated in p.m.'s yeaterday, is if there is a significant leak. The photo provided in this thread does not provide sufficient evidence of that scenario, However, if the rear talihousing bushing is wiped out it might produce a leak of that size... not likely though.

I recommend having someone start the engine and engage the transmission while you are under the car looking for the exact spot the fluid is coming out of the tranny.

Remove the driveshaft and inspect the yoke. If it is scored severely then the bushing has failed. As I stated in my e-mail last night, and the photo of the large stain in your garage floor confirms my thoguhs... it is likely that your tailhousing is cracked. It should be removed and inspected after the driveshaft has been removed. In one photo the pan is not soaked, that implies the servo is intact and the lines are attached. Focus on the driveshaft and tailhousing... do not run this unit anymore than you need to in order to determine the source of the leak... add fluid before running it again!

I'll be around all day, call if you would like to discuss this!

g
Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're welcome. We're not out of the woods yet with this deal so keep your game face on! I'll be around till deep into the eveing... have a race car next door at Xtreme H/P that I am wiring up. Just call if you run into any more questions... that might speed things up.

g