Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad cats

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bad cats

I am getting my SES light on my 2000 SS and found out that it is two codes for my cats. Does anyone know if this affects my performance any? I dont think the cats would be really plugged at this age in its life but dont really know for sure. Is it common for both to go out whether being plugged or just both sensors to go out? Help please...

Michael
Old 06-09-2003, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: bad cats

KillerD, I had Bassani y-pipe w/ cats put on my car back in November and now have an SES light due to a poorly functioning 6 month old cat. So its possible that the cats could go so soon. You will lose some performance from a bad cat. I suppose its possible for both cats to go at the same time, however i doubt it. I'd bring it in and have reputable mechanic check it out to see what your problem is exactly. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:31 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The codes set because the computer isnt seeing the proper rear O2 activity. Lots of things kill cats, oil, antifreeze, too rich, too lean. Your cats can flow just fine and not work properly. If your exhaust is stock (I dont know what mods you have) it should still be under warranty. I dont have my owners manual handy but I think the cats are warranteed for 7yrs/70,000 miles or something like that, they messed with the emissions warranty in the last few years so look in your warranty booklet to see whats covered..

Old 06-09-2003, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bassani seems to have problems with their cats. My brother got an x-pipe for his Cobra and one of the cats broke after about a month. There were rattling noises inside the cat and it sounded like crap
Old 06-09-2003, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

No noises coming from the cats but who knows. Thanks guys for the responses. I will definetly take it up to the dealership soon. The exhaust is stock from the manifolds to the cats but from there I have the loudmouth on. But I dont think that would hurt the cats by any means.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gut the cats and install O2 Simms. You should see the square wave the O2 Simms output on AutoTap. If you think Bill pulled the wool over Hillarys' eyes you should see the job those O2 Simms do on the PCM.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

poor gas milegae is all I have seen,
mine goes in for replacement (po420 bank 1)
wendsday.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

PO420 is what im showing too, i just try to ignore it and pretend my cars nice. I only have 23000 miles, but i say screw getting a new cat from the dealership, im going to go with macs w/ory or hooker lt's w/ory. Then i think ill invest in some ls1 edit action. This with efilive 5.0, should be a very nice combo to have at my disposal...