Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" Housing & BMR Weld On LCA Brackets (Bad Fit)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Question 9" Housing & BMR Weld On LCA Brackets (Bad Fit)

I'm doing the final touches on my 9" and when I went to put on (mock up) the BMR weld in LCA brackets, the mounts on the 9" housing is a hair to big (wide). It seems that the only way to get them on is to beat them on with a hammer.

Was my Moser 9" housing made wrong? Is this normal for a Moser 9"?

Bill
Old 10-22-2007, 04:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

known fact... Moser housings brackets are not the same dimensions as stock, therefore relocators won't fit. sorry about your quality issue. my new 9 inch housings have relocation holes built in. if you need to have some made, i can fab up a set for you, but they will have to be welded on.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

You have got to be kidding me, can't Moser do anything right?

So my BMR Weld On LCA Brackets are worthless to me? I bought them at Thunderracing and I told them what they were going on.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had to grind the crap out of mine and then hammer em on, then weld em up.

pissed me off too.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out the same thing for a set I picked up for like $35 that Granallti sells, Open house special, but hey a little grinding and mine should fit the square peg in a round whole motto.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

UMI makes them for stock or strange or ones just for moser because they are a little wider.I got them for my moser 9-inch and they fit great.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a spohn set made for the 9 inch and they fit great, to bad I had to cut them some and weld pieces in there since my rear is narrowed. it dont look bad tho

Old 10-23-2007, 04:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Billiumss
You have got to be kidding me, can't Moser do anything right?
It certainly is not Mosers fault that they use larger axle tubes than the factory ones, didn't you want a housing that is stronger than your weak 10 bolt?

We use the BMR relocation brackets on the Moser housings all the time, you just need to do a little grinding to the brackets. Bob
Old 10-23-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
It certainly is not Mosers fault that they use larger axle tubes than the factory ones, didn't you want a housing that is stronger than your weak 10 bolt?

We use the BMR relocation brackets on the Moser housings all the time, you just need to do a little grinding to the brackets. Bob

The bigger axle tubes have nothing to do with it. It's the LCA bracket that Moser put on is just a tad too wide.

You would have thought they would have measured a stock 10 bolt LCA bracket more than once before they went into mass production. Engineer it right the first time, so thousands of people wouldn't have to "make it work" by grinding down their mistake.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Billiumss
The bigger axle tubes have nothing to do with it. It's the LCA bracket that Moser put on is just a tad too wide.

You would have thought they would have measured a stock 10 bolt LCA bracket more than once before they went into mass production. Engineer it right the first time, so thousands of people wouldn't have to "make it work" by grinding down their mistake.
there ya go....
Old 10-23-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you want cheap stamped steel brackets like the stock rear has or do you want real 1/8 inch brackets that are bent, thats the reason its bigger, the metal they use is thicker, look at the stock rear and its stamped junk and look at a mosr, if you do a search before you make a statment like that you wouldnt look like an a fool. any one on this forum or anyone that makes suspension parts for a Fbody will tell you that it takes a diffrent bracket for the moser than a stock rear. NOONE with a moser that uses 1/2 there brain will ever complain about there rear and will stick up for them. theres around 50 cars in our Fbody club and most of them have moser rear in there and on one ever had a problem.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:06 AM
On The Tree

lethal- this is true that Moser is using better bracket material than the stock stamped, but wouldnt it be just as easy for Moser to make the bracket a little longer, essentially building in LCA relocation brackets so that people dont have to weld/bolt them on. Really doesnt add that much weight and what is the price difference at that point $40. I am sure that I would have paid an extra $40 to have them already there as one piece, making it essentially more of a "true bolt-in"

not that I am complaining I researched everything for like 1.5 years before I did my purchasing, plus you have to get your car back on the road, so get things done somehow someway.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

some people dont want relocation brackets, there rear is made to stock specs just like every other Co. that makes a rear, does strange make a rear with relocation brackets buit in, NO.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Moser is actually looking into offering their rears with relocation brackets already installed. Look for many changes to be implemented into their line up! Bob
Old 10-24-2007, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Moser builds there control mounts wider then factory, they make there panhard mounts to small sometimes and there shocks are in slightly different locations. Noit sure why but they do.

We had to build a specific set of relocation brackets just for the Moser rear end and they can be seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2011

If I can help with any questions please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Moser builds there control mounts wider then factory, they make there panhard mounts to small sometimes and there shocks are in slightly different locations. Noit sure why but they do.

We had to build a specific set of relocation brackets just for the Moser rear end and they can be seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2011

If I can help with any questions please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Problem solved