Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who are you trying to impress?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who are you trying to impress?

Often times we talk about our "cool rides" or whatever and how they attract attention, and many times we brag how they attract the attention of girls. My question to you guys is, who are you more trying to impress with your mods and such - guys or girls. I was listening to the radio and that Shania Twain (or whoever sings it) song "that don't impress me much" came on, where she sings about how the guys car doesnt impress her much, and I was thinking to myself - who cares??? To be honest, I'd much rather impress a guy (granted a car-knowledgeable one) with my car than a girl who really has no idea what she is talking about (not saying that all girls know nothing about cars). Just wondering what your thoughts were on this, thought it might prove to be an interesting topic of conversation.

-Tom
2001 Firehawk #086
Black/Black M6
Minor Bolt-Ons so far(SLP CAI, LM, TSP Lid, Short Stick, tons of Zymol)
Old 06-11-2003, 04:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Who are you trying to impress?

I'm more interested in impressing myself by building the ultimate project cars. Of course, my tastes tend to change about every 2-3 years lol
Old 06-11-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

You listen to Shania Twain?? :p
Old 06-11-2003, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

For me, it's about having FUN with my car, and getting my hands a little dirty now and then.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

A pretty cool guy once told me during a conversation that you know you've done a pretty good job on your car when a 55 yr old man, a 17yr old guy, and a 24 yr old girl have all said to you they like your car. .. or something like that.

When all is said and done though, I do it to for myself, since it's MY hobby. I do like staying one mod ahead of my friends though
Old 06-11-2003, 07:26 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

I do like staying one mod ahead of my friends though
Ditto!

I'm not really doing it to impress anyone, but to scare the **** out of me when I press the throttle and to bring a huge smile to my face when I park it. If those two things have been done within a day, then I am happy.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

I try to impress the ladies. If only it would work! maybe the new chrome rims will help, but girls just think going fast like that is crazy and just don't dig it as much...go figure
Old 06-11-2003, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I like to impress everyone. Just like jonss said. I love when some young kid who is spending mommy and daddy's money is bragging their car up and then their eyes pop out when they see my car or get their doors blown off. That's priceless.
All in all I'm happy knowing I paid for everything and did all the work myself.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I try to impress the ladies. If only it would work! maybe the new chrome rims will help, but girls just think going fast like that is crazy and just don't dig it as much...go figure
In general, girls don't care about cars. No point trying to impress them. I enjoy working on my car. I do it for me not for someone else.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Yup, i do it for my own enjoyment. It is nice driving up to a place, and hearing someone say "nice ride" but it may be somewhat egotistical, but Im in it for my own enjoyment Who cares what someone else thinks, its my money, its my car, and i'll make it as fast and as sexy as i want
Old 06-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Fiery Features Director

My car is here to impress me (and to make sure that I can always beat my boyfriends Formula) ...
I do things to my car because it makes me feel good. Sure, most guys and girls like my car but I am not trying to pick up either one... I do things to my car so I can enjoy the ride. Driving a car that you enjoy makes all the hard work worth it. Also knowing that I did it and not paying some shop to make the car fast makes it that much more special. My car is a large part of me.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:03 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

To me its less about impressing people but rather taking pride in and being proud of what you've done.

This is applicable to more than just cars. Its the same logic that propels me to mow my lawn 3-4 times a week and to fertilize and dethatch multiple times a year.

It's all about stepping back and looking at the fruits of your labor and being proud.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

I am always trying to impress my wife, but it never seems to work, so I keep on buying more and more mods and keep trying, lol.

I really agree with The Alchemist. Could not of said it better myself.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

you listen to Shania Twain??
lol I knew I'd get that. Nah, it came on the radio as I was flipping the channels

I agree with most as well - doing it for yourself is the most rewarding aspect of this. It seems today that "tricking out" a car has become such a trend - and if you're not following what's "in" your car is seen as uncool. I think that attitude is so stupid - it completely overlooks the idea of tricking out a car for YOU - because you like it for what it is or what it means to you.

-Tom
*hoping to himself that they don't catch on to the fact that he owns three copies of every Shania Twain album ever released*
Old 06-12-2003, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

To be honest, I'd much rather impress a guy (granted a car-knowledgeable one) with my car than a girl who really has no idea what she is talking about (not saying that all girls know nothing about cars).

glad you stuck that last little bit in there....because i am a chick and i am very interested in cars...i have a camaro and i love fixing it up loud and good looking and doing the inside and i love fixing up my boyfriends car as well....i know a bad *** car when i see one and definatly when i hear one!!! So, i am just saying maybe its not always just guys that are checking out your car...
Old 06-12-2003, 12:48 AM
TECH Veteran

I impress myself.....really could not care less what others think (good or bad).

While like anyone else, it’s nice to have people tell me “hey, you did a really nice job on that remote oil filter mount” or “you car sounds really nice,” that’s not why I built it.

If I had to pick though, I would rather get my compliments from a knowledgeable guy. Most girls tend to say things like “you have a really pretty/cute car,” and while I just want to be like “DON’T EVER CALL MY CAR PRETTY OR CUTE AGAIN!!!,” I can’t because they are just trying to be nice (at least that’s how I take it). So I just have to be like “thanks….” and then there is that silence that follows where nobody knows what to say.

One of the most fun things to do (for me) is to pull the T-tops, get out alone, on an open highway in the evening (give the AZ summer heat time to die down), and just go (where does not matter…just “that way”….). I get into 6th, set the cruse at 80mph, sit back, and listen to the engine rumble on through the true duels. No matter how bad my day has been or what’s going on, I always seem to feel better.

Chris
Old 06-12-2003, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

I do it for everything. I love to do it for myself, for the satisfaction of having one of the most bad-*** TA's (my opinion of course ) But I also do it to show up other guys, do it to impress girls, and do it to mess with everyone from High school that said I'd never have a car people thought was "the best". I dunno, it's really deep for me, and the above examples only scratch the surface.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:31 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

To me its less about impressing people but rather taking pride in and being proud of what you've done.

This is applicable to more than just cars. Its the same logic that propels me to mow my lawn 3-4 times a week and to fertilize and dethatch multiple times a year.

It's all about stepping back and looking at the fruits of your labor and being proud.
This is exactly how I feel about my car and modding.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:45 AM
9 Second Club

All the blood, sweat and tears are for my own satisfaction. Not a day goes by where I don't stand back and just look at what I've done with a smile from ear to ear. That's what makes it worth it to me, all the compliments in the world couldn't even come close
Old 06-12-2003, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strictly for me.

I'm 35, and everyone says for chicks, but I'm married 8 years and this is just a toy.

Quick Reply: Who are you trying to impress?