Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

problems with 3-4 shift

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default problems with 3-4 shift

When cruising it shifts fine. Under moderate throttle you can feel the gears when either going into 3rd or 4th like it is sliding into a notch into gear as the gears slip together. Under hard acceleration they sometimes wont go into 3rd or 4th. I just had this tranny gone through less than 5,000 miles ago. It had a new steel fork with pads, blocker rings and syncros put in. I know things can fail prematurely, any ideas?
I am trying to get an idea how much I will be spending.
Anyone know where to get a repair/rebuild manual for the T-56 also?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Am i looking at replacing blocker rings or possibly the pads on the shift fork?
I have a buddy and his car is doing the exact same thing.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

How fresh (and what type) is your clutch fluid? The fluid gets pretty toasty at the top of 3rd gear...if your fluid isn't up to the task, it could be keeping the clutch from releasing all the way. Not necessarily the answer, but a cheaper (and easier) alternative that might be worth checking.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the fluid is all new after it was gone through. Less than 5000 miles on it. I just used basic ATF. What would you recommend? This would be a much easier fix. Cheap to try and see what happens too.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know if its a fluke thing that i was just thinking i was experiencing, or if it was actually happening but when i changed my slave and tranny fluid i went from Mobil synthetic dex III to regular napa dex III it seemed to shift harder, and 3rd gear was the hardest. Then i went back to Mobil Dex III full synthetic and it got 100% better.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'm talking about the clutch hydraulic fluid, not the transmission fluid itself. The clutch fluid takes brake fluid...easiest to find would be some Valvoline Synpower from your local auto parts store.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'm talking about the clutch hydraulic fluid, not the transmission fluid itself. The clutch fluid takes brake fluid...easiest to find would be some Valvoline Synpower from your local auto parts store.

Ahh I just used basic DOT 3 Brake fluid. Nothing Special.
The fluid also has less than 5000 miles on it. I put in all new GM hydralics (with drill mod) when the refreshed tranny went in.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Check the color of the fluid in the clutch hydraulic reservoir...if it even has a hint of being blackish, try changing it.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the color of the fluid in the clutch hydraulic reservoir...if it even has a hint of being blackish, try changing it.

Might be a dumb question, but if it was the hyd. fluid wouldn't that affect it going into other gears as well?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Deteriorating hydraulic fluid does fine when not exposed to high temps...when it is exposed to high temps for a good amount of time (like winding out 3rd or 4th gear), it can break down and start to boil. Most people that have problems that are clutch fluid related complain about it at high RPM shifts at higher speeds when the heat has a chance to really soak into the fluid.

It is easy enough to check...if the fluid isn't the same color as it was when it came out of the bottle, change it.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Deteriorating hydraulic fluid does fine when not exposed to high temps...when it is exposed to high temps for a good amount of time (like winding out 3rd or 4th gear), it can break down and start to boil. Most people that have problems that are clutch fluid related complain about it at high RPM shifts at higher speeds when the heat has a chance to really soak into the fluid.

It is easy enough to check...if the fluid isn't the same color as it was when it came out of the bottle, change it.

Will do.