Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cold side plumbing

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cold side plumbing

I see that a lot of people use stainless for there hotside parts and aluminum for the cold side. Is it ok to use stainless for turbo to ic and ic to tb? Thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Banned

I use stainless on the cold side of my Turbo setups. It is heavier, but stronger than aluminum.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Launching!

i've always used aluminum due to being able to dissipate heat much better than steel.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
I use stainless on the cold side of my Turbo setups. It is heavier, but stronger than aluminum.
ive never seen an aluminum cold side pipe blow from boost.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
+1, plus the added weight is killer.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Banned

I havent eigther. I use stainless. If a customer wants me to do it in aluminum I will. I use stainelss due to its structural stregnth. It is easier to brace the bottom of a FMIC with stainless tubing than to run have to have a customer go drilling on thier car to mount braces and such. I am not saying eigther is wrong. I have never had IAT problems due to running stainless over aluminum.

If you look at alot of the home based guys that are doing FMIC setup in the driveway. They use several Silicon couplers to ties all the pieces together. Those couplings are what let go. Be it they slip off, slpit or what ever. Most home based guys dont have the tools or ability to weld thin gauge aluminum.

I wont bash anyone for their decision. I use both depending on the build. I use Stainless on my production setup for the strenght it has.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fireball
+1, plus the added weight is killer.
Oh god. We are gonna beat this to death. I have never lost a race due to 6 lbs of weight. I just dont eat the Big Mac's through the week. In an all out race car, yes I use aluminum. I build it all on the car. I am not shipping it with UPS or FED EX trying to beat the **** out of the boxes. Stainless is stronger. It doesnt dent as easy. It supports more weight. Polish it it looks just as nice. It was used in the design of my setup. Is one or the other, right or wrong? No... Its just what I used.

71chevellels1 asked if it was okay to use it. I made a statement about what I used. I didnt sleep much last night. Now I am ranting.

I love LS1Tech.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use stainless.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
I havent eigther. I use stainless. If a customer wants me to do it in aluminum I will. I use stainelss due to its structural stregnth. It is easier to brace the bottom of a FMIC with stainless tubing than to run have to have a customer go drilling on thier car to mount braces and such. I am not saying eigther is wrong. I have never had IAT problems due to running stainless over aluminum.

If you look at alot of the home based guys that are doing FMIC setup in the driveway. They use several Silicon couplers to ties all the pieces together. Those couplings are what let go. Be it they slip off, slpit or what ever. Most home based guys dont have the tools or ability to weld thin gauge aluminum.

I wont bash anyone for their decision. I use both depending on the build. I use Stainless on my production setup for the strenght it has.
easy tiger just trying to figure out what the reasoning is for stainless assuming 2 equal kits as i didnt see 1
Old 10-31-2007, 12:39 AM
Banned

easy tiger just trying to figure out what the reasoning is for stainless assuming 2 equal kits as i didnt see 1
No offense taken. I didnt get much sleep last night. Assuming to equal kits... I dont see where one is benificail over the other. If I was building the kit on car in house I would use aluminum with all joints TIG welded. If I was building the kit to ship I would go SS to avoid shipping damage and give the installer less chance of damaging a section of tubing.

Quick Reply: Cold side plumbing