Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

moser 12 bolt fluid spray

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moser 12 bolt fluid spray

I don't look under my car every single day but the last time i did look i noticed fluid all over the rear end and back. i have not studied the pattern of fluid spray very close yet but it appears it came out of the vent tube. i recently had the car up to 150mph before i ran out of highway to safely go that fast. i was wondering if this alone would case the problem or do i have something else going on that needs my attention. by the way the car is parked right now. getting the tranny rebuilt and i plan on popping the cover and checking things over a liittle bit. any advise on what to look for? thanks
Old 11-02-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an overfull issue...
Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Yup, overfill and then the heat/expansion/"eggbeater effect" from the high speed run just pressured the gear oil out of the vent tube!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info will keep an eye on that level
Old 11-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiosity...how much fluid did you put in it?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

I have had this problem as well. What is the capacity. I normally fill it to the fill hole.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Teching In

not sure on the capacity or how much was in it i've only had the car for about nine months this is the first incident i've had with this rearend
Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Screw a hose barb in the vent hole, and run a hose up with a small K&N type filter on it. That should take care of the problem. I run three quarts in my Strange 12 bolt and have not had a problem with the gear oil misting since I did this.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Arkansas Dave
I don't look under my car every single day but the last time i did look i noticed fluid all over the rear end and back. i have not studied the pattern of fluid spray very close yet but it appears it came out of the vent tube. i recently had the car up to 150mph before i ran out of highway to safely go that fast. i was wondering if this alone would case the problem or do i have something else going on that needs my attention. by the way the car is parked right now. getting the tranny rebuilt and i plan on popping the cover and checking things over a liittle bit. any advise on what to look for? thanks

Venting
Your M/E Bolt-In housing needs to be vented for proper operation. A hole has been provided in the tube and a 1/4" pipe thread air line fitting has been included. After installing the fitting, run a rubber or plastic line from the fitting to a suitable location on the frame. Allow enough line to compensate for suspension travel. MAKE SURE THE END OF THE HOSE IS HIGHER THAN THE VENT HOLE OR YOU WILL LOSE FLUID. Bob
Old 11-12-2007, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by aaronbetzner
I have had this problem as well. What is the capacity. I normally fill it to the fill hole.
If you have an aftermarket cover (T/A, Mac, etc.) on there and you fill it to the cover's fill hole, you ARE overfilling it!! You should only fill it to the axle's fill hole (this goes for 10 bolts as well).
Old 11-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by dailydriver
If you have an aftermarket cover (T/A, Mac, etc.) on there and you fill it to the cover's fill hole, you ARE overfilling it!! You should only fill it to the axle's fill hole (this goes for 10 bolts as well).

IF your rear end has a fill hole

My Strange 12-bolt does not
Old 11-12-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
My Strange 12-bolt does not

Yes it does... its the stock location fill hole on the passenger side. You just fill it up to the top of the threads of that hole. Come on now...
Old 11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by chicane
Yes it does... its the stock location fill hole on the passenger side. You just fill it up to the top of the threads of that hole. Come on now...
Wanna bet? I've looked all over that bastard, and I have yet to find it. It is certainly not in the stock location like my 10-bolt. Although I could be blind...
Old 11-12-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really !?!! You've got to be kidding me. Not only is that odd... but that really sucks. What do they expect you to do to fill it ?? On the other hand, what did the instructions say about filling it ?? Thru the vent tube ??

Oh wait... that's how they get people to purchase the useless girdle cover.

The last three or four I did (which was a few years ago) had the fill plug in the stock location. Maybe they stopped that machine process a few years back ??

I'll definately pay close attention to that the next time one comes in the door.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Really !?!! You've got to be kidding me. Not only is that odd... but that really sucks. What do they expect you to do to fill it ?? On the other hand, what did the instructions say about filling it ?? Thru the vent tube ??

Oh wait... that's how they get people to purchase the useless girdle cover.

The last three or four I did (which was a few years ago) had the fill plug in the stock location. Maybe they stopped that machine process a few years back ??

I'll definately pay close attention to that the next time one comes in the door.
I've looked all over that thing, and I even painted it by hand, so I'm sure I would have seen something...but yes, I just fill it through the useless girdle cover fill plug hole. I can snap a pic for you if you like...it is still up in the air since I have no brake hydraulics in the car currently
Old 11-13-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is there even a boss for the fill plug in the casting ??
Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

A friend of mine got a Strange 12- bolt a few weeks ago and his did not have a fill hole. We looked for 30 minutes for it. Nobody beleives me when I say it doesn't have a fill hole, but the sob isn't there.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:27 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure my Strange has a fill hole on the side. Although I filled mine through the hole on the cover, since I run it over-full.

My car is up on stands now, and i'm curious. I'll take a look when I get a chance.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

I have been filling it through the top hole in my cover. Doh 5 quarts or more.lol I guess I can back off a little. Explains the spray from my breather line.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Is there even a boss for the fill plug in the casting ??
Nope...not even a boss on mine. I was surprised when I went to look for it and drew a complete blank...

And 5 quarts? Holy geez...I've only got 2 in mine...but then again, I'm not sure what the capacity is since it has no fill plug But from the guys that used to have a fill plug, 2 quarts is the general consensus.