Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what do u think is the problem? Slave or master cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what do u think is the problem? Slave or master cylinder?

My clutch gets soft during wot runs. I've changed the fluid to dot 4 and bled the system. I also wrapped the line to protect it from the heat from the headers. So i think either the master or slave is bad. But i'm not an expert or know that much about clutches so i need your opinions. So what do u think the problem is?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

No opinions?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need more info to help. What mods do you have and what clutch are you running. Clutch might not be up to the task any more.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
Need more info to help. What mods do you have and what clutch are you running. Clutch might not be up to the task any more.
I have bolt ons. LT's, duals, lid, ported tb and a few other small things. I have an LS6 clutch thats about 1.5 years old. It has about 14k on it.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Ive had my stock slave go soft and stick to the floor, with 2 different stock slaves. then i bought a 01-02 updated slave. my stock master went bad too, when that happens, the pedal felt the same to me, but i couldnt get it into gear easily, especially going into reverse. replaced that with a ram adj master and never had a prob (knock on wood) if you have the money, get them both replaced at the same time and have the drill mod done too. and you shouldnt have to worry about any more problems! i still covered the whole master-to-slave line with high temp sparkplug boots and routed the line as far away from the header as possible just to be safe!

Clutch Care (very good write up) http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

slave- http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...3c842783ada46f

master- http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...3c842783ada46f

Drill mod- https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...od#post3585098

Last edited by 98TADRIVER; 11-04-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER
Ive had my stock slave go soft and stick to the floor, with 2 different stock slaves. then i bought a 01-02 updated slave. my stock master went bad too, when that happens, the pedal felt the same to me, but i couldnt get it into gear easily, especially going into reverse. replaced that with a ram adj master and never had a prob (knock on wood) if you have the money, get them both replaced at the same time and have the drill mod done too. and you shouldnt have to worry about any more problems! i still covered the whole master-to-slave line with high temp sparkplug boots and routed the line as far away from the header as possible just to be safe!

Clutch Care (very good write up) http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

slave- http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...3c842783ada46f

master- http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...3c842783ada46f

Drill mod- https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...od#post3585098
Thanks for the info!

I was considering buying an updated slave and a new master but i have one problem......My car also has a 100 shot and put down 431hp 555tq so i dont think this clutch will hold up. If i buy the new parts for this clutch i might want to consider buying a new clutch at the same time. What do you think?

I've been having these problems before i sprayed the car though
Old 11-04-2007, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Well, everyone will have a different opinion on what clutch to go with, but based on my personal experiences, here's what ive gone with-

stock original that came with my car- not bad, but i didnt beat on the car too much then.

spec stage 1- got 13k miles out of it before it died along with my stock slave

spec stage 3- grabbed awesome while it lasted ( a whole 5k miles) the center springs kept popping out, causing me not to have a clutch anymore! (they all 4 total) kept breaking under warranty so free clutches werent bad but then i got tired of replacing them.

Ram Powergrip HD- grabs awesome, a bit more driveability than the spec stage 3, definately not noisey like the spec and lasts alot longer as well. had it since february 07'. started spraying a 100 wet shot on it in june 07' holds it great. w/o spray i put down 342/362. holds up to my 5k+ clutch dumps on 275 50 15 M/T dragradials. very happy with this clutch. i got mine from thunderracing when it was on sale, it was $380.00 then. Ram recommends using a billet flywheel with this too.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, everyone will have a different opinion on what clutch to go with, but based on my personal experiences, here's what ive gone with-

stock original that came with my car- not bad, but i didnt beat on the car too much then.

spec stage 1- got 13k miles out of it before it died along with my stock slave

spec stage 3- grabbed awesome while it lasted ( a whole 5k miles) the center springs kept popping out, causing me not to have a clutch anymore! (they all 4 total) kept breaking under warranty so free clutches werent bad but then i got tired of replacing them.

Ram Powergrip HD- grabs awesome, a bit more driveability than the spec stage 3, definately not noisey like the spec and lasts alot longer as well. had it since february 07'. started spraying a 100 wet shot on it in june 07' holds it great. w/o spray i put down 342/362. holds up to my 5k+ clutch dumps on 275 50 15 M/T dragradials. very happy with this clutch. i got mine from thunderracing when it was on sale, it was $380.00 then. Ram recommends using a billet flywheel with this too.
After reading some post about spec i want to stay away from them. I was looking at the Ram Powergrip HD earlier today and it looks like it might be a clutch i would use. It looks like we are making similar power as well. I want a clutch that will last long that is not very expensive
Old 11-04-2007, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

i would say in the power range that youre at, and the money u want to spend, the Ram would be a great choice. i cant remember exact numbers but i believe the ram's holding power was in the upper 600hp range
Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

i would say in the power range that youre at, and the money u want to spend, the Ram would be a great choice. i cant remember exact numbers but i believe the ram's holding power was in the upper 600hp range
Thanks i'm going to do some research on the ram and see how everyone likes it. I will need a clutch that can handle 500hp and 600 tq. I plan on getting a cam in the next few months.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Just so i dont sound biased to the RAM, i heard Cartek makes a really good clutch as well!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Just so i dont sound biased to the RAM, i heard Cartek makes a really good clutch as well!
I did some research on ram last night and most of the post were positive. Im going to research a few different clutches and see what people think.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Veteran

You know what else is weird?

I sprayed on this clutch about a week ago and it had the burning smell. I ran a few guys this weekend and the clutch felt pretty good and didn't give me any trouble. But after the runs the clutch had the burning smell but still performed normal. I dont know what the hella the problem is
Old 11-05-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
You know what else is weird?

I sprayed on this clutch about a week ago and it had the burning smell. I ran a few guys this weekend and the clutch felt pretty good and didn't give me any trouble. But after the runs the clutch had the burning smell but still performed normal. I dont know what the hella the problem is
Anyone have an opinion on this?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

I had the LS6 clutch in for a while. Right up until I sprayed the car. Didn't seem to like the extra tq. I ended up putting in a Tex OZ700.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chuckyt1
I had the LS6 clutch in for a while. Right up until I sprayed the car. Didn't seem to like the extra tq. I ended up putting in a Tex OZ700.
I sprayed it twice and it didn't like it very much.