Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny install

I have just rebuilt my tranny and installed the ls7 clutch pressure plate and ls2 flywheel. I also replaced my slave. I used the clutch alignment tool and I replaced the bearing with a bronze pilot. I can get the tranny into the splines but no further what am I doing wrong?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by aaronbetzner
I have just rebuilt my tranny and installed the ls7 clutch pressure plate and ls2 flywheel. I also replaced my slave. I used the clutch alignment tool and I replaced the bearing with a bronze pilot. I can get the tranny into the splines but no further what am I doing wrong?
Bounce the **** out of that thing. I had the same problem with mine and it just needed to be "bounced" into place.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Keep tryin, we've all been there I eventually gave up and pulled the trans out. Gave it an hour, went back and tried again and it slipped right in.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

If you have, or can get your hands on, an input shaft, try to align the clutch with that. The plastic tools can sometimes be a bit less acurate. If you can't do that, I have seen others with this problem simply re-align the clutch using the tool. Another member did that about a week ago and it worked for him.

Good Luck
Old 11-03-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

I am going through this right now also. I am friggin frustrated big time!!!
I broke my Slave cylinder in the process!
I was able to get it close enough to pull the trans and engine together with the bolts, but then it acted like the clutch was engaged. I turned the motor over by hand and the driveshaft didn't move. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

I know you CAN pull it together with the bolts. Not the best idea though, (I have done it in the past but you need to be carefull). It's usually because the input shaft is hitting the pilot bearing. The clutch is probably off just enough to F it up. I know it's a pain but you might want to try realigning it.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Launching!

your disc insn't in line with the pilot bearing. I put mine in yesterday. I had the same prob. I moved the disc up a little and it worked.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like you guys are right. I did some more research and also checked...everything looks OK but now I need a new slave cylinder. Oh well, it was the older 99 style so replacing it might be a blessing in disguise!
Thanks for your helps guys!!
Have a good one.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

I bounced the living hell out of it for about 30 seconds and it went it. Oh the most important thing to remember when rebuilding one of these is to make sure you have removed the hardened steel roll pin in the shifting pattern piece. I put two in the same hole. BIG MISTAKE> thanks for the help guys.