Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Motor mounts, headers, oil pan for a (LS2) 1970 Chevelle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Motor mounts, headers, oil pan for a (LS2) 1970 Chevelle?

I am looking at the hooker headers for the 1970 Chevelle and using the S&P mounts.

Also I was going to get and S&P oil pan but found out they require a core. I could go with a aftermarket pan but I don't want the pan hanging lower than the front crossmember.

Any suggestions on these parts? Thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Definitely do a search as me and a few others are doing LS1 swaps on A-bodies. For starters however, you can make the F-body pan fit without mods if you set the engine back far enough (about 2-3" from the firewall on my 67 chevelle). Also, the F-body front drive accessories will work but the alternator is close but it clears. The A/C compressor will not work it must be relocated or you can notch the frame. As far as headers go I and a couple others are using the Hooker Headers and they fit just fine but Dougs has just now come out with a set of swap headers that are a bit cheaper and they look promising. Hope this info helps.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i am putting an ls motor in a 69 right now, and what i have found so far, the hooker headers fit perfect, but i used their motor mount adapters, dont know how others might work(hookers push the engine back and up a little from some of the other adapters, but i am going to trial fit a diff adapter and see what happens) with the hookers, a caddy cts oil pan ($150) fits perfect, but there is minor bumping lock to lock with the tie rod ends, gonna work on that, others have raised the engine a little to clear-that will get your motor bolted in
i used a corvette front acces. drive(mainly because i am using a rev procharger) and i like to spend money-eveything clears
if i were starting over, i would buy a comp. vette take out, motor, trans, all wiring, computer, because i am getting lazy and wouldnt have to track down all this stuff
i am going to start out using a switch pitch turbo 400, switch to a o/d trans later, then fi if i gain some computer skills-lol
Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i used the s&p oil pan , i didnt need a core but it cost 550$ with the new pickup .i think the cts pan is a great option and may have worked in my situation but didnt know about it at the time.i also used s&p for the headers 570$ and fit nice ( they are 3/4 length). i bought my adaptor plates from carshop 40$ in plain steel,and i used por 15 to coat them. look up bzee an go into his car domain site some good pics and documetation.as well as the others here, steering clearance eventually is the main factor in in getting it all dailed in . JOHN
Old 11-06-2007, 05:49 AM
TECH Regular

I have the CTS pan, my Hooker SC headers are on the way, and I have the ATS mounts. If you go that way, you'll need to space up the engine about 1/2" to get the pan to clear the center link...
Old 11-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Launching!

I want the engine to sit in the stock position. Basically so I don't have to modify the driveshaft as the driveshaft was already custom made for the TKO500 Tremec Transmission I am running. I will either go with long tube headers or stock manifolds coated. I will just have to see what happens when I have everything mocked up.

Thanks guys
Old 11-06-2007, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

sounds like you are using the same basic combo i am. LSx w/TKO500 and i'm gonna use a 9". Which way are you going with the clutch linkage? I am using a 1957 bellhousing with linkage pivot mounting provisions so i can use the mechanical linkage. the linkages are going to be in the way of the headers but i've allready resigned myself to building headers anyway. and watch out for the drag link, it will hit the oilpan, i am using a truck oilpan and the draglink hits only when steering to the right, so i had to either modify the pan or raise the engine. i've raised the engine so far, but i may change my mind and mod the pan as i do have access to a heliarc. good luck with your swap and keep us updated. we need input for the information "pool".
Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Didn't you just say yesterday that you weren't posting anymore?? A liar on top of everything else?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by classic gary
sounds like you are using the same basic combo i am. LSx w/TKO500 and i'm gonna use a 9". Which way are you going with the clutch linkage? I am using a 1957 bellhousing with linkage pivot mounting provisions so i can use the mechanical linkage. the linkages are going to be in the way of the headers but i've allready resigned myself to building headers anyway. and watch out for the drag link, it will hit the oilpan, i am using a truck oilpan and the draglink hits only when steering to the right, so i had to either modify the pan or raise the engine. i've raised the engine so far, but i may change my mind and mod the pan as i do have access to a heliarc. good luck with your swap and keep us updated. we need input for the information "pool".

I am using Keisler's LSX bellhousing and their hydraulic clutch swap. I was using a mechanical linkage however when I converted the car from a automatic to the TKO the linkage never seemed to work quite right. So I decided that because the the clearance and header fit issues I would just use a hydraulic clutch.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been up and running with the CTS-V pan since last year... no problem as I have used the Tall and Narrow motor mount to riase the engine a bit and using BRP style plates.. No problem with the Center Link. Pan does hang below the x-member about 1".

I am only running Stock mainfold for now.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Where did you get the CTS oil Pan? My GTO hits the crossember (39 Chevy with M II) and a pickup pan is only 5" off the ground.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got mine from a dealer in Colma, CA. They had sold two create engines to Roy Brizio who was putting them into some 32'. They swap the pans out for f-body pans and I was able to pick the complete setup from them (pan, pickup, trays, gasket and filters) for a good price on both.. I sold one and used the other..
Old 11-08-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

I got mione from a guy on the for sale forum here. Everything but the pickup tube for $75 shipped...

Quick Reply: Which Motor mounts, headers, oil pan for a (LS2) 1970 Chevelle?