Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

need computer help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:06 AM
screamin chicken

Default need computer help please

I have Ad-Aware 6.0, and I have a trial on Nortons, recently my Ad-aware will not update and I can not get onto web sites i normally would go to, I can still get on them from my lap top, but it will not log me on, when i select for got password and have it emailed to my land computer I never get it. What do I need to find my problem even if it means I have to buy it I just need to know which one thanks......
Old 11-07-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by screamin chicken
I have Ad-Aware 6.0, and I have a trial on Nortons, recently my Ad-aware will not update and I can not get onto web sites i normally would go to, I can still get on them from my lap top, but it will not log me on, when i select for got password and have it emailed to my land computer I never get it. What do I need to find my problem even if it means I have to buy it I just need to know which one thanks......
Are you saying you have a virus or spyware? If so, try spybot search and destroy. It's free and works fairly well. I use it all the time.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:51 PM
screamin chicken

Well I had Spybot then I started to have problems I went to Nortons web and down loaded a free trial and it did not pick anything up and it deleted my spybot. i am also getting alot of spam email nows, and antwar, mallard , jdamer ???? is popping up when I restart....
Old 11-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Teching In

get rid of the Nortons, and get spybot, adaware, cc cleaner, and update them all and then go into safe mode and run them, I usually run cc cleaner between ever program to get rid of any unwanted reg entrys. See if that doesnt help

Seth
Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bigseth
get rid of the Nortons, and get spybot, adaware, cc cleaner, and update them all and then go into safe mode and run them, I usually run cc cleaner between ever program to get rid of any unwanted reg entrys. See if that doesnt help

Seth
exactly what I do. Havent had a problem in 2 years. Also norton is one of the worst antivirus programs available. I use Antivir. its free. between those and just common sense you should'nt have a problem.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 PM
screamin chicken

Thanks for all the help, i do have Ad-aware SE should but the updates stop also, should I get rid of it also and start all over.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 PM
screamin chicken

Thank you so much I did the Spybot S&D and I am back running, now I need to get a anti virus Thank you.......
Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Like these other guys said get rid of Norton, get some anti virus as well. The most important thing is try to run this stuff in safe mode if possible. If the program is running it wont scan it so..if you want to scan more files do it in safe mode since there are less things running during that time.

GL with your computer.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Disable system restore that harvests them other hidden bugs+don't ever run it!
the pc will run nicer too.

carefull with them auto updates too in xp,if the software that came on the disc works beaut,why ever change it?

because they want you to?
like hell I would!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, if you are not receiving the e-mailed password check your "junk mail" folder on whatever e-mail program you are using. Some programs delete junk mail after a few days or even a particular session. I presume you are receiving regular e-mail.