Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear rebuild package, Price Reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear rebuild package, Price Reasonable?

Looking to change the gears in my 6 speed SS,,, does this package sound reasonable priced... new to this. any advice would be appreciated... trying not to blow money away though.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=68

I would like to go with 410s... but the 3,90s sound interesting... 30 extra bucks though.. any specific opions on that.
I want the car to really pull so im thinking just 410s but not sure.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's a reasonable deal. Figure gears will run about $150-$200, an install kit at $100, a rear end cover at $100-$150, and fluid on top of that, I think they have it priced pretty well (though you could save a bit and find the rear end cover used).

Go with 4.10s in a manual, for sure.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Very reasonable deal. However thunder racing doesn't have the 3.90's in stock. I was wanting to run them but they haven't had them in stock for the past 2 months. I actually just purchased the kit last week with the strange 4.10's. I'm installing it tomorrow using Keliente's guide who ironically enuf posted above me. If you plan on doing the install yourself def check out her guide for rear end installs.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:48 AM
Teching In

Sounds good, I guess the only other thing is if the studd kit and etc they talk about is really worth getting the kit, cause if it will improve the life of my 10 bolt which will be turning 315s in the rear, then Ill get the kit. But if my rear end is gonna blow up eventually, then it might be better for me to save the 150 bucks and just get gears and install kit. I guess thats what I'm debating on at this point.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Launching!

im on the same boat i want it but im not sure if i really need the cover
Old 11-09-2007, 10:18 AM
8 Second Club

I don't think you should do it.. You're gonna put $400 plus bucks into a rebuild kit on a 10 bolt? no way. I made the same mistake. The factory 10 bolts on our cars suck so bad, it's not worth it. Those 10 bolts blow out at any time. Even on stock horsepower they'll blow out.
Take my word for it, buy a 12 bolt or 9". You'll have to anyways if you plan on modding it out more.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Teching In

I'm not really planning on modding it out any more, I'm prolly gonna do some headers at most, other than gears. I was gonna mod it out, but everyone does it, and no body can get any good resale, So i really just want a little extra umpff for daily driving.. can isnt beat on, only has 40k miles on it as is.. may see the track a couple times for fun but not too much more. Everyone says the 10 bolts blow up and I'm sure they do, but on the other hand if i can get away with the gears i want in the torsen for 350 bucks for a couple years its worth it to me... plus the torsen has less drivetrain power losses and its lighter. I have read many magazine articles of guys keeping the 10 bolts in with 410s... It seems to be one of those neverending debates, maybe youll be lucky maybe not type of thing.
But with the kit, if that cover did stiffen it up and the studd kit helped, (if anyone has real insight into those claims) maybe it would be worth me to get that kit to do the rear end change.

Still on the fence. Maybe I should just not change the rear gears at all haha.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:45 AM
8 Second Club

I hear ya man, but I'd either leave it as is, do some headers, CAI, shifter etc. But if you try H/C/I/ n20 'n' it, be prepared for a towing bill, and more.
On the other hand, they're guys in the 10s with the stock 10 bolt... But not many...
Old 11-09-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BDTRAM
I don't think you should do it.. You're gonna put $400 plus bucks into a rebuild kit on a 10 bolt? no way. I made the same mistake. The factory 10 bolts on our cars suck so bad, it's not worth it. Those 10 bolts blow out at any time. Even on stock horsepower they'll blow out.
Take my word for it, buy a 12 bolt or 9". You'll have to anyways if you plan on modding it out more.
I don't advocate building the 10 bolt either, but I think gear changes are acceptable. Going to 4.10 from a 3.42 is something you can really enjoy. Furthermore, if his 10 bolt does break and he upgrades, he can always sell off that rear end cover to recoup $ on it.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Yeah car currently has, pro 5.0 shifter, torque thrust with 315s rear and 275 front, and gmmg exhaust... then like.. lid and smooth bellow for intake. I think thats really it other than grille and front corner lenses. No big power adder or anything though. Dynoed 310 like normal when it was stock, 40k miles on it. No options stripper SS car.

not a great picture but here it is.

Anyways, I was thinking about putting some XS stainless headers on it when I put an ls7 clutch in it since the clutch needs to be replaced and would be a good time to do headers, hopefully a nice compliment to the gmmg.
From there I might do some suspension work, just putting new torque arm tubular control arms and possibly lower it an inch or something along those lines.

Drivetrain wise, I dont want to put a 12 bolt in without having 500 hp and if im gonna build 500 hp I'd probably rather start from a different block and build it up right, then i can beat the hell out of that and always put this original lower miles engine back in. But odds are in 5 years ill have more money and bigger fish to fry so I'm trying keep it simple for now.

I probably will do the gear change since I have the ability to do so, and I really dont need to get 25 mpg going 90 on the highway. I also own a 70 el camino with a 3 speed and its only got like 331 gears in it and tops out at liek 55 on the highway (12mpg probably) so I think I can handle the little bit of highway mileage loss on the camaro for the much enjoyment I think I'll get when I put the throttle down.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:13 PM
8 Second Club

You may wanna replace the Slave cylinder while you're at it, how many miles on the car?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Ive read about the slave, but I'm skeptical at the same time. My friend replaced his in his 98 and then it went on him again so I might not fix it till its broken, specially since thats not cheap either.

Car has 43,000 miles to be more precise.

2k of them I just put on from driving it from massachusetts to florida.
Car will be much happier down here, not as rare so not as fun but much happier.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

my car has went through 4 sets of gears and im buying another stock 10 bolt tomorrow...save the 400 and you can buy you a used 12 bolt for about 1200-1800 ... and i just have a g5x2 cam headers and duals....