Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power tap, 12v always on, 12v ignition, ground

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power tap, 12v always on, 12v ignition, ground

Where are you guys getting your 12v constant & ignition from under the dash. I don't want to wire into the fuse holder, I'm sure there is a way to wire into the harness somewhere under the dash ? I'm trying to tap out a location for a stand-alone fuse holder that will be in the interior so I can just add my accessories to the stand-alone fuse block as needed. I would also like to know if there is a particular place to get a good ground in the interior of the car ?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12v red
ignition pink
accesory breown
ground to metal in kickpanel {right by factory grounds}
Old 11-09-2007, 01:50 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the quick reply.....
Old 11-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If you're going to add your own distribution block then I recommend using the three power outlets in the fuse panel that are designed for that purpose. Otherwise, you could be overloading an existing circuit when you add accessories later. BTW, brown wires are usually for the parking/running light circuits so always test before selecting a wire to tap.

In the fuse panel on the end of the dash you will find three single post ports (not double post like an ordinary fuse port). They are labeled BATT (constant power), IGN (ignition controlled power) and ACCY (same as ignition but also stays on during RAP operation like the radio). Remove the bolt holding the fuse panel in place so you can swivel it away to run wires from behind, then run your three source wires with spade terminals around the side and plug them into the ports. Replace the fuse panel and run the wires to a convenient location such as under the dash behind the console. These ports are 15 -amp circuits that GM put in specifically for adding aftermarket accessories.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you're going to add your own distribution block then I recommend using the three power outlets in the fuse panel that are designed for that purpose. Otherwise, you could be overloading an existing circuit when you add accessories later. BTW, brown wires are usually for the parking/running light circuits so always test before selecting a wire to tap.

In the fuse panel on the end of the dash you will find three single post ports (not double post like an ordinary fuse port). They are labeled BATT (constant power), IGN (ignition controlled power) and ACCY (same as ignition but also stays on during RAP operation like the radio). Remove the bolt holding the fuse panel in place so you can swivel it away to run wires from behind, then run your three source wires with spade terminals around the side and plug them into the ports. Replace the fuse panel and run the wires to a convenient location such as under the dash behind the console. These ports are 15 -amp circuits that GM put in specifically for adding aftermarket accessories.
Couldn't have said it better myself...and if you are really clever, you'll open your owner's manual, and it'll show you exactly where these little gems are. They just take a standard spade connector (or blade, or whatever the hell they are called). I have a 12-gauge cable running from the IGN port all the way across under my dash so I can connect into it anywhere along that line. Makes finding the kinda power you want REALLY easy.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, great info guys. I just looked at the slots on the fuse panel this weekend and I was wondering if that was what GM intended. I will definitely be using the fuse panel now. It will make for a much cleaner install. Thanks for the extra input on the subject.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

where is this fuse panel??? I know that is a dumb question but I would like to get right to it and cannot remember where it is or find a description of the location!

TIA
Old 12-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Left end of the dash.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

thanks i remembered right after posting and felt like a dufus! But oh well live and learn

Quick Reply: Power tap, 12v always on, 12v ignition, ground