Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How difficult to rebuild the T56?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How difficult to rebuild the T56?

I, hopefully, plan on swappin out my clutch and rearend this winter. If I were to buy one of the upgrade kits from 6spinc with sliders/3-4 fork... How difficult is it to do yourself? I would hate to pull the tranny and rear and not actually do anything to the trans.

Thanks,

Erik
Old 11-10-2007, 07:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have time, patience and tools you can do it. I encourage anyone that wants to tackle it themselves. Patience and time is the biggest thing. Just don't do it if you only have a few hours and it is in the way. Other than that I say go for it.

Amber
Six Speeds Inc.
The following 2 users liked this post by ls1 joe:
Homer_Simpson (08-25-2023), Ls7colorado (04-06-2024)
Old 11-10-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it is a learning experiance, I finished mine a week ago and just put it in last night. They are not hard to work on it's knowing what is causing the problem when there is one. I had to learn all that the hard way, but I feel really comfortable now rebuilding them.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

I went the route of do it your self and can tell you it's not that hard. The big problem is having the right tools. It will take you longer, and you may not know what your looking for at first but after doing it once and looking at the manual you should be OK. I rebuilt one....took me three days.....mostly because I didn't have the right tools. IE I purchased cheap snap ring pliers, had to "create" a gear puller, etc but it worked out. On my second rebuild my press broke so I opted for a viper shaft and sent it to Six speeds inc with the parts I had already purchased and they are taking care of it for me. This thread has a lot of helpful information:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/784476-t56-do-yourself-question.html

and I also found a step by step t56 rebuild article on musclerides.com and it ***really*** helped me with my rebuild. The PDF Document is located here:

http://www.musclerides.com/Pages/Members/t56rebuild.pdf

If you need more information or a place to buy a rebuild kit pm me.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itspossible01
I went the route of do it your self and can tell you it's not that hard. The big problem is having the right tools. It will take you longer, and you may not know what your looking for at first but after doing it once and looking at the manual you should be OK. I rebuilt one....took me three days.....mostly because I didn't have the right tools. IE I purchased cheap snap ring pliers, had to "create" a gear puller, etc but it worked out. On my second rebuild my press broke so I opted for a viper shaft and sent it to Six speeds inc with the parts I had already purchased and they are taking care of it for me. This thread has a lot of helpful information:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784476

and I also found a step by step t56 rebuild article on musclerides.com and it ***really*** helped me with my rebuild. The PDF Document is located here:

http://www.musclerides.com/Pages/Members/t56rebuild.pdf

If you need more information or a place to buy a rebuild kit pm me.
Nice links tnx
Old 11-10-2007, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Great link to the PDF file! He makes it look so easy! lol
Old 11-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

If you have the right tools and patience it's easy. If your missing tools it will turn into a three day (or more) headache. Buy the tools he suggests as well as a cheap (~$130) press (harbor freight or pep boys) and give it a try.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:21 PM
FormerVendor

Yep any cheap press will do. Just remember it won't last forever.

Amber
Old 11-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned

The biggest key to successfully building any transmission is the right tools and knowing what to look for so you can properly fix the issues the trans was having to begin with . Lots of shops just change everything hoping to eliminate the problem but that waste money and they are basically parts changers not builders in my opinion . A good builder can look at something and see whats wrong with it , know if the part is reusable and if its better to replace it or fix it and reuse it .

Give rebuilding it a try . Take your time and have a clean place to lay everything out . Pay attention to how it came apart so you have a better idea of how it will go back together . You should be fine .........
Old 11-10-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've done a few rebuilts on other trannies, and I'll be doing my t-56 this winter as well.

It's a little scary from reading how tos, but I've also done a Honda tranny, that's like playing with a wrist watch tiny bugger for sure.

It doesn't look like the hardest or the easiest one to tear apart, if you have some exp i'm sure it would be pretty simple.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

If you can handle a Honda transmission , this shouldn't be too much harder if any .
Old 11-10-2007, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think i will just order mine from six speeds inc...swap one out..swap one in..with a wife , 2 kids and army life.time isnt always my friend..
Old 11-10-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. The cars in the garage 99% of the time so its no biggy if it takes a while. Im worried about gettin the car up high enough to do all this. And not only that but when I do get the parts Ill just want em in quick so I can start tearin the car up. And +1 on the right tools. Ill find out what I need. The right tools make things so much easier.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is a good manual for re building T56's? Or good instructions, Unfortunately Im on dial up here and cant download worth ****.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

www.ttcautomotive.com is the actual tremec manual. It will help.

Amber

Quick Reply: How difficult to rebuild the T56?