Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What car to buy to super or turbo? which way?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What car to buy to super or turbo? which way?

Ok first sorry if this is the wrong place to put this.

First car i built was 88 iroc tpi 383 650hp
sec GSR 1.8 liter about 350hp
Now looking to build a new car with 500 to 600 hp that gets about 25 mpg high way. want to stay around a 350 size engine or smaller with higher boost levels. Will see alot of street driving so need to drive like stock car off gas.

Im a auto tech with almost a BA in Aerospace engineering so i know a little about how things work. NOW what i need from you guys in help is what to build and base off of.

Thinking 98-2002 Z28 6 speed trans not sure if one years better to work with then others? I dont have the car yet so trying to pick the best to work with.

Which way to go super or turbos ive never worked with turbos but willing to try.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:54 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, with your goals, you could really go either way. I'd say get a procharger D1SC kit- they are very simple (compared to a turbo setup) and they are proven many times over to be right at the level you are wanting. Give Bob @ EPP a call and he can get you the best deal on a new kit
Old 11-13-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest a 99 up f body as the they are a little more computer friendly to forced induction.Also the six speed is better when it comes to gas milege.Turbos are typicaly a little better on milege because they are free wheeling with nothing but escaping exaust when not under boost.Turbocharging cost more and is more complicated but I think it will achive the goals that you laid out the best.5-600rwhp.is easily attainable with turbo charging with the stock displacement of 346 cubic inches although at that level you will need to upgrade to forged pistons and rods.You can,and some do make this much on stock internals but you are asking for trouble!A well thought out turbo setup on ls1 fbody,with a six speed can exceed your gas milege goals of 25 mpg IF you stay out boost.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so 99 and newer car to look for. At what HP level should i start to worry about parts.
about how much psi for stock to reach 500-600. might run it on stock and build a second block to swap in later for a little more power
Old 11-14-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
about how much psi for stock to reach 500-600.
Stock bottom end with a small cam, full exhaust and 10 psi gave me over 500 rwhp on a dynojet.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:30 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=540

This list I created may help answer some fo your questions. Bob
Old 11-14-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
Ok so 99 and newer car to look for. At what HP level should i start to worry about parts.
about how much psi for stock to reach 500-600. might run it on stock and build a second block to swap in later for a little more power
You will get different opinions on this of course but mine is around 500 rwhp is the practical limit on a stock bottom end.You have to be careful and have a very good tune even at this level.Some guys are making more than this for sure,but they are pushing their luck.You really are over the capacity of your stock rear end,trans.and clutch at 500rwhp and will have to be careful to make them live.There is no exact answer for how may pounds of boost= how much hp because each setup is different but with a properly setup turboed ls1 you should get 500rwhp around 10 pounds of boost.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I put down 547/569 on a completely stock motor with some 101 in the tank with twin t61s and a bit under 9psi. Switched over to a t76, never dynoed it but went a 10.84@130. Car is a 6 speed with a 9 inch. Gas mileage was superb if I could keep my foot out of it. For all intents and purposes, a turbo system is invisible when cruising which I like because the car sounds and drives stock which I like for the sleeper effect.

That said, a procharger or even a powerdyne is more than capable of replicating the results you are looking for while retaining near stock drivablility and with the procharger, you get that sweet idle whine. Given your goals, I think you would be happy either way.