Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What would my car be worth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 03:41 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What would my car be worth?

I have an offer for an interesting trade, but I'm wondering what my car would really be worth? Its a 2002 Z28, 34K on it, very clean, built 408, built 4L60E, strange 12 bolt, all suspension done, Bogarts with new tires, D1SC with FMIC, awesome fuel system, car is loaded other than having the HVAC out. I have a ton in it obviously, and you never get it back, but I spent close to $30K last year alone on it. The motor, blower, tranny, rear, etc. have less than 1000 miles on them. This car has been low 10's on an easy pass and should run high 9's easily. It went 10.4 at 136 at 3900 lbs, made 757 RWHP on 93 octane.

Its black on black, 4" cowl hood, SS spoiler, T tops, etc. Can be driven anywhere, rides and drives nice. Its downright violent when you get in it.

I'm thinking $30K+?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an observation... Some may agree... I've noticed most of the sales seem to work like this...

The true value of your car + half or 5/8ths your total investment
Old 11-16-2007, 04:50 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

I'd guess 30k, but its really only worth what someone will pay for it. The market for buying such a car is slim, but I'd say its worth 30 easy to the right buyer.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:59 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be worth whatever to a seller but in reality its worth whatever you can get for it.

Resale on these cars highly modded is not much, hard to find someone who has cash since a bank sure isnt going to give 30K for 2002 camaro.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:18 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Yeah, it will have to be a cash buyer for sure. Last year when I did the build on it I spent $22K on the motor/blower/fuel system/etc, and at the time I noticed I could buy one basically done for $30K and sell my car for around $19K and have ALOT less invested. But I wanted my own project, not someone elses. I'm not selling it anyway, I just have an interesting trade (for my ultimate dream car, actually) and I would come out several thousand ahead on this deal I think.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:18 PM
7 Second Club

resale is higher for a purpuse built race car.... with a carbureted BBC or SBC....

LSx stuff is just too expensive to go REAL fast with... i like the "newness" but damn..
Old 11-16-2007, 05:26 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
Yeah, it will have to be a cash buyer for sure. Last year when I did the build on it I spent $22K on the motor/blower/fuel system/etc, and at the time I noticed I could buy one basically done for $30K and sell my car for around $19K and have ALOT less invested. But I wanted my own project, not someone elses. I'm not selling it anyway, I just have an interesting trade (for my ultimate dream car, actually) and I would come out several thousand ahead on this deal I think.
Problem is finding someone who is 'into' these cars that has 30K in their pocket to spend. If you can trade your way why not, no shame getting sick of it and wanted something else. If everyone kept their car forever a lot of shops and parts manufactures would be out of business
Old 11-16-2007, 05:30 PM
7 Second Club

my life would be boring if i didnt get tired of stuff... i know that for a fact..
Old 11-16-2007, 05:41 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
my life would be boring if i didnt get tired of stuff... i know that for a fact..
I think that holds true for the human race in general
Old 11-16-2007, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

You will not get 30 grand for your car, trust me on this.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:11 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Yeah, it didn't work out anyway. Oh well, I'm not sick of the car yet. Every time I get on it I fall in love with it all over again.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Dmn I never understand why people get the urge to sell there cars with low milleage on the builds, heck some have them for sale before they are even completed. I guess some jus have money to burn and this is only in general not specifically to the original poster.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Websy21
Dmn I never understand why people get the urge to sell there cars with low milleage on the builds, heck some have them for sale before they are even completed. I guess some jus have money to burn and this is only in general not specifically to the original poster.
I've noticed the same, and I see this as a giant WASTE. If you're going to cut it close and see yourself possibly needing to sell your car for cash at some point... Don't start modding your car

My build will be in my garage forever. Assuming I don't plow into a track's wall or don't get hit by someone else
Old 11-17-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

I plan on keeping mine forever. I will never get what I put into it. But you guys already knew that.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

The problem will be as stated above, the buyer will have to pay cash for everything above loan value.
I listed my Vette w/15k miles and at least 20k in mods for 30k and never had 1 hit.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:29 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Like I said, it wasn't for a cash sale, it was a trade where I would have basically gotten about $48K for the Z. Obviously its not worth that much so it didn't work out.

The reason you see so many project cars sold right after completion is that alot of people just like the build. Once a car is "done", you lose motivation since you really don't work on it anymore. Of course, alot of people sell for financial reasons too. Building a car is expensive, and sometimes people overspend themselves in the process. They go into debt to build a car and get stuck having no choice but to sell. I've seen that alot with some friends.

I don't "need" any money, so if I did sell the car I'd hold out for a good price. In reality, anything I build won't be much faster so theres not much point in starting over.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

I had to sell mine for money reasons. Trust me I did not want to get rid of her. If you do lose motivation or whatever you will probably recoup more money parting it out then selling it as a whole.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:00 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
I had to sell mine for money reasons. Trust me I did not want to get rid of her. If you do lose motivation or whatever you will probably recoup more money parting it out then selling it as a whole.

Yeah, you're right. I'd probably just buy someones H/C longblock and toss it in there with some spray and get $20+K out of it, and sell the rest of the motor and blower separately.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TS6
Like I said, it wasn't for a cash sale, it was a trade where I would have basically gotten about $48K for the Z. Obviously its not worth that much so it didn't work out.

The reason you see so many project cars sold right after completion is that alot of people just like the build. Once a car is "done", you lose motivation since you really don't work on it anymore. Of course, alot of people sell for financial reasons too. Building a car is expensive, and sometimes people overspend themselves in the process. They go into debt to build a car and get stuck having no choice but to sell. I've seen that alot with some friends.

I don't "need" any money, so if I did sell the car I'd hold out for a good price. In reality, anything I build won't be much faster so theres not much point in starting over.
My post wasn't for you, just for clarification.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:30 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
If you can sell the big parts local then parting it is always the way to go. If you are like me in an area that doesnt have a huge LS1 'scene' having to ship engines, rear ends and transmissions is a pain.

I think about selling mine at least once a day, I'm pretty bored since for me building the car is the most fun. I'm actually thinking of running it on a pinks title show but my luck I'll end up winning another car I dont want lol.

Quick Reply: What would my car be worth?